By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Clash of the October 20th titans: Which will sell more, Mario Wonder or Spiderman 2?

Which will sell more?

Super Mario Bros Wonder 125 84.46%

Spiderman 2 23 15.54%

Total:148
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Mario Bros. Wonder didn't have bundles to help with sales but managed to sell that much without any problem. It's going to get close to the 20 million-unit mark in this year alone.

Walmart Bundle 1

Walmart Bundle 2

During the holiday - which was advertised here

Black Friday deal here

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 17 February 2024

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Mario Bros. Wonder didn't have bundles to help with sales but managed to sell that much without any problem. It's going to get close to the 20 million-unit mark in this year alone.

Walmart Bundle 1

Walmart Bundle 2

Black Friday deal here

I could be wrong but I believe when people mention bundles, they are talking about official bundles from the manufacturer where the game is added in at no extra cost and available at major retailers nationwide, I doubt anybody is referring to obscure places like Antonline or 3rd party sellers.

I get that you’re trying to provide a “gotcha” but nuance matters.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Walmart Bundle 1

Walmart Bundle 2

Black Friday deal here

I could be wrong but I believe when people mention bundles, they are talking about official bundles from the manufacturer where the game is added in at no extra cost and available at major retailers nationwide, I doubt anybody is referring to obscure places like Antonline or 3rd party sellers.

Nah, it isn't about a "gotcha" nor a distinction. Games get bundled (official or otherwise) and shouldn't be used as a means to downplay anything, particularly as one cannot separate a bundled sale from a non-bundled one. It's a tired argument that has proven to be nothing but gasoline on a fire and that's what we're putting out before it gets going. 

And context is what matters. Plenty of users have discussed bundles in here without the aforementioned issues at play. 

CGI-Quality said:
zorg1000 said:

Nah, it isn't about a "gotcha" nor a distinction. Games get bundled (official or otherwise) and shouldn't be used as a means to downplay anything, particularly as one cannot separate a bundled sale from a non-bundled sale. It's a tired argument that has proven to be nothing but gasoline on a fire and that's what we're putting out before it gets going. 

This is in addition to a documented history of similar behavior.

I agree that bundles shouldn’t be used to downplay a game’s sales as Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft would not bundle a game unless they thought it would help sell the console and the idea that Sony needs heavy bundling to get their games to 10 million is just flat out wrong.

However, I do believe there is a massive distinction between the type of bundle I described and the type of bundles in your links.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Nah, it isn't about a "gotcha" nor a distinction. Games get bundled (official or otherwise) and shouldn't be used as a means to downplay anything, particularly as one cannot separate a bundled sale from a non-bundled sale. It's a tired argument that has proven to be nothing but gasoline on a fire and that's what we're putting out before it gets going. 

This is in addition to a documented history of similar behavior.

I agree that bundles shouldn’t be used to downplay a game’s sales as Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft would not bundle a game unless they thought it would help sell the console and the idea that Sony needs heavy bundling to get their games to 10 million is just flat out wrong.

However, I do believe there is a massive distinction between the type of bundle I described and the type of bundles in your links.

I get that there is a distinction ("official or otherwise"), and I understand that you are trying to make his points make sense in that regard (although a bundled sale is a bundled sale and the only real difference will be in amount sold per bundle, something that isn't distinguished in financials). The bigger problem is what has gone on for sometime and I can be fair to you on since you wouldn't have known that. 

Still the bottom line is within your first set of sentences. All three companies bundle games with their systems, so there is no reason to leave an open door to narratives that pick and choose when those matter and when they don't. That's the jist of my input on that.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
zorg1000 said:

I get that there is a distinction ("official or otherwise"), and I understand that you are trying to make his points make sense in that regard (although a bundled sale is a bundled sale and the only real difference will be in amount sold per bundle, something that isn't distinguished in financials). The bigger problem is what has gone on for sometime and I can be fair to you on since you wouldn't have known that. 

Still the bottom line is within your first set of sentences. All three companies bundle games with their systems, so there is no reason to leave an open door to narratives that pick and choose when those matter and when they don't. That's the jist of my input on that.

Gotcha, a users post history can definitely change the context.

zorg1000 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Gotcha, a users post history can definitely change the context.

Yup!

At the same time, I don't want to be misunderstood or shutter bundle discussion! They definitely help a game sell and that can't be denied either! So, I appreciate you just giving this a little more of a chance to flesh out.

zeldaring said:

Mario wonder 4.2 million in 2 weeks. Where are all the haters at and I need my opology.

zeldaring said:

I'll wait after the holidays then but i want my apologies after that. like i told you guys no way this will do near TOTK numbers and now the numbers back this up. I will wait for the after the holidays to come back to this thread, cause you guys will never admit you were wrong till the fat lady sings.

zeldaring said:

Spider man 2 did 5 million in 10 days. Lol all the people thought I was trolling and saying I don't know what I'm talking about.

zeldaring said:

are you gonna apologize when i'm right? I guess you were the casual lol. I want accountability for your bad prediction like you wanted accountability for mine.  

zeldaring said:

My analysis was spot on and with spiderman 2 being bundled and switch in decline it's gonna be an easy win for spiderman 2. 

zeldaring said:

It will be. you gonna have to put some respect on my name.

zeldaring said:

Wow I nailed it look at wonder at NPD told you guys me. Only person Here who nailed it. My analysis was spot on.

zeldaring said:

Wow Nice. if anyone wants an expertise opinion on predictions PM me.

zeldaring said:

You guys do realize that spiderman 2 was beating mario wonder even with the huge launch in Japan. And with spider man 2 winning easily in npd and not even counting bundles the separation will only get bigger this holiday.

Well, is it time for us to apologize yet?

zorg1000 said:
zeldaring said:

Mario wonder 4.2 million in 2 weeks. Where are all the haters at and I need my opology.

zeldaring said:

I'll wait after the holidays then but i want my apologies after that. like i told you guys no way this will do near TOTK numbers and now the numbers back this up. I will wait for the after the holidays to come back to this thread, cause you guys will never admit you were wrong till the fat lady sings.

zeldaring said:

Spider man 2 did 5 million in 10 days. Lol all the people thought I was trolling and saying I don't know what I'm talking about.

zeldaring said:

are you gonna apologize when i'm right? I guess you were the casual lol. I want accountability for your bad prediction like you wanted accountability for mine.  

zeldaring said:

My analysis was spot on and with spiderman 2 being bundled and switch in decline it's gonna be an easy win for spiderman 2. 

zeldaring said:

zeldaring said:

Wow I nailed it look at wonder at NPD told you guys me. Only person Here who nailed it. My analysis was spot on.

zeldaring said:

zeldaring said:

You guys do realize that spiderman 2 was beating mario wonder even with the huge launch in Japan. And with spider man 2 winning easily in npd and not even counting bundles the separation will only get bigger this holiday.

The main argument for me was that mario wonder would not hit 30 million and it's looking that way. As for the spider man 2 beating  wonder it's not gonna happen because ps5 undersold big time and it looks like switch  sales are not slowing down so yea i was wrong on that I always said spider and mario wonder would be 50/50 race  my big argument was  mario wonder aint doing no 30-35 million. 

zorg1000 said:
zeldaring said:

zeldaring said:

zeldaring said:

zeldaring said:

zeldaring said:

zeldaring said:

zeldaring said:

zeldaring said:

zeldaring said:

He admitted he was wrong pages ago.  He has no problem admitting a wrong, which not everyone can say.  I give him credit.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED