By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Clash of the October 20th titans: Which will sell more, Mario Wonder or Spiderman 2?

Which will sell more?

Super Mario Bros Wonder 125 84.46%

Spiderman 2 23 15.54%

Total:148
archbrix said:
zeldaring said:

This is pointless comparison, you guys don't get it that switch is at the end of its life cycle and games will be more front loaded, games are not gonna have the legs of when a system is in it's prime and doing mind blowing numbers FOR YEARS and people are picking up a bunch of games with their  new console. 

Super Mario Bros 3 launched late in the life of the NES, a system that already had two side-scrolling SMB games, and it went on to sell more than any non-bundled game on the platform.

Super mario 3 was litterly the best game ever by a land slide when it came. This is not even remotely the case for wonder.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
abronn627 said:

https://www.vgchartz.com/game/35076/new-super-mario-bros-wii/sales

Just look at the sales pattern of December weeks, there’s no reasons for Wonder to not follow the same pattern. If it happens again, you can expect 15-20 million for the 1st quarter.

Yep, NSMBU did ~2.3 million in November followed by ~7.7 million in December for a total of ~10 million in 2009. Mario Wonder did 4.3 million in October with the full holiday shopping season still ahead of it.

Exactly, it was averaging weekly sales between 1.5-1.8 millions in December, if Wonder does the same, it would have already doubled it’s first two weeks and weren’t counting November into that.

The comparison with other games is pointless when it comes to 2D Mario, launch sales never mattered, their leg is what drives the sales.

Last edited by abronn627 - on 08 November 2023

zeldaring said:
archbrix said:

Super Mario Bros 3 launched late in the life of the NES, a system that already had two side-scrolling SMB games, and it went on to sell more than any non-bundled game on the platform.

Super mario 3 was litterly the best game ever by a land slide when it came. This is not even remotely the case for wonder.

Dude, at this point you should just wait and see, each exemple someone gives you, it seems like you have the perfect specific reason to justify why it sells or not. 

End of cycle or not, there’s enough past and current data to form a good idea on how this game will sell in the future and like it or not, there’s no reasons it won’t follow the trend we’re seeing on almost every Nintendo games this generation.

abronn627 said:
zorg1000 said:

Yep, NSMBU did ~2.3 million in November followed by ~7.7 million in December for a total of ~10 million in 2009. Mario Wonder did 4.3 million in October with the full holiday shopping season still ahead of it.

Exactly, it was averaging weekly sales between 1.5-1.8 millions in December, if Wonder does the same, it would have already doubled it’s first two weeks and weren’t counting November into that.

The comparison with other games is pointless when it comes to 2D Mario, launch sales never mattered, their leg is what drives the sales.

I love how you don't mention new super mario deluxe which is practicly a new 2d mario for 95% of the user base since no one bought a wiiu. That's a much better comparison then NSMB on wii which I think had the best holiday ever for a console that year and NSMB was bundled with it .

zeldaring said:
abronn627 said:

I love how you don't mention new super mario deluxe which is practicly a new 2d mario for 95% of the user base since no one bought a wiiu. That's a much better comparison then NSMB on wii which I think had the best holiday ever for a console that year and NSMB was bundled with it .

NSMB Wii wasn’t bundled with the console that year, it’s sales are purely on its own. Yet it’s still the closest comparison you can get, a brand new 2D Mario game, releasing just before the Holiday, past the console peak.

You want to know why Deluxe really won’t matter?

One, the existence a previous game in a series on the same system isn’t a deterrent for future sales, annual series are a proof of that.

Second, because Nintendo barely promote it. You know it exist because you see it on the shelves and that’s it, but it’s just a release made to patch a schedule, Wonder will be on the forefront of Switch marketing for the reminder of it’s life.

You want a comparison, look NSMB Wii, not other games.

Around the Network

Spider man 2 did 5 million in 10 days. Lol all the people thought I was trolling and saying I don't know what I'm talking about.

abronn627 said:
zeldaring said:

Dude, at this point you should just wait and see, each exemple someone gives you, it seems like you have the perfect specific reason to justify why it sells or not. 

End of cycle or not, there’s enough past and current data to form a good idea on how this game will sell in the future and like it or not, there’s no reasons it won’t follow the trend we’re seeing on almost every Nintendo games this generation.

Look at the wii games sales at the end of its cycle  Mario galaxy 2 and zelda skyward they had very weak sales compared to its predecessors. Nintendo games get a huge boost when system is in it's prime and on fire and switch being end of its cycle I don't expect games to have the same legs.

zeldaring said:

I'll wait after the holidays then but i want my apologies after that. like i told you guys no way this will do near TOTK numbers and now the numbers back this up. I will wait for the after the holidays to come back to this thread, cause you guys will never admit you were wrong till the fat lady sings.

You (and me) are also owed an apology for the iPhone.  RE8 runs like complete crap.  So much for ps5 in your pocket.  

Kotaku seems to think in 2 to 3 iPhone generations it will run RE8 which launched in 2021 and isn't even a good looking game.  Sounds awesome for a $1000+ device.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 09 November 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Short term I would bet on Spiderman but mid to long term Mario Wonder. 30M should be the ceiling (and very hard to get) for SM2, MW can go even higher.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

I'll wait after the holidays then but i want my apologies after that. like i told you guys no way this will do near TOTK numbers and now the numbers back this up. I will wait for the after the holidays to come back to this thread, cause you guys will never admit you were wrong till the fat lady sings.

You (and me) are also owed an apology for the iPhone.  RE8 runs like complete crap.  So much for ps5 in your pocket.  

Kotaku seems to think in 2 to 3 iPhone generations it will run RE8 which launched in 2021 and isn't even a good looking game.  Sounds awesome for a $1000+ device.  

I think it super odd how people when talking about playing games a PS5/Series X is to expensive but a 1000 smartphone playing it poorly is a good deal (sure will go for everything non-gaming to justify it).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."