By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple iPhone 15 Pro Will Have Console Games (RE4R, RE Village, Assassin's Creed, DS)

gtotheunit91 said:
Soundwave said:

I think it could help Nintendo is some ways, I think it's going to make all big 3rd party releases basically available to everything and that helps Nintendo because only they have their IPs. 

It could even pose problems for Sony/MS ... if people start to get used to having AAA console games on their iPhone or iPad as the years go on ... why even bother with a home console if they can just play a "good enough" version of the game through their phone and have it with them everywhere? 

Remember Netflix is not better quality than Blu-Ray native discs, nor are MP3s as high quality as optical disc format ... but once it was "good enough" to a lot of people, they just didn't care anymore. 

That's a good point, but even Nintendo can't always rely exclusively on their IPs. Just see the history of the GameCube and especially the Wii U. 

It really can affect the big 3. From the perspective that you mentioned of "why even bother with a home console?" but affecting Nintendo of "why even bother buying a dedicated handheld device when I can play console games on the handheld I use everyday?" 

Nintendo as always will have to lean on the strength of their own internal IP and also probably will have to push to make sure the Switch 2 has a considerably bigger display than iPhones (better for gaming) while being cheaper than an iPad. If they can stick in that comfort zone they should be able to do well. 

But I think this can help Nintendo ... I think this may actually seal the deal for all big 3rd party games to be on Switch 2. If there was any doubt ... now a developer is going to have to look at this and look at how huge the market is for both Switch + iPhone + iPad + Mac (games they can scale on Apple silicon). And then I'm sure Android is going to now start to make chips that can do the same too. 

The market is enormous, it will total dwarf what the PS5 + XBox sell. 

If you're Rockstar, you're going to want to make a port of Grand Theft Auto 6. If you're Capcom you're going to want Monster Hunter World 2 on there. But that means Switch 2 is getting those games too most likely because you might as well at that point. 

It will be interesting I think to see how it unfolds. 

Around the Network

Do you mean how in 2013 consoles are dead and Apple will take over gaming with mobile games? Mobile ports of console games are nothing new. Had that for 20 years. This won't change a fucking thing. Epic made a bunch of exclusive RPGs for Apple phones to show off the power and people declared consoles dead or in trouble. Nothing is changing. Same old story.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Do you mean how in 2013 consoles are dead and Apple will take over gaming with mobile games? Mobile ports of console games are nothing new. Had that for 20 years. This won't change a fucking thing. Epic made a bunch of exclusive RPGs for Apple phones to show off the power and people declared consoles dead or in trouble. Nothing is changing. Same old story.

You're sleeping on Apple's custom silicon. It's ridiculous how powerful it is at low power draw. It's not 2013 anymore they have made some crazy breakthroughs the last few years since they ditched x86 chips for Macs.

Watch more and more big ticket 3rd party games be announced year after year, Japanese devs are going to go crazy for this. 

You're gonna have iPads with better than XBox Series S performance. They could put an M2 or M3-chip into a Apple TV too ... it's gonna get crazy I think. 

Who fucking cares how powerful it is? That's been the same story for ages. Console and Nintendo are in no danger as always. Esp Nintendo EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME. More powerful than Nintendo handhelds. Guess who is undefeated. Nintendo. So again big fucking whoop.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Who fucking cares how powerful it is? That's been the same story for ages. Console and Nintendo are in no danger as always. Esp Nintendo EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME. More powerful than Nintendo handhelds. Guess who is undefeated. Nintendo. So again big fucking whoop.

Nintendo will be fine, though this may cause them to sweat a little more now. They may have to work a little harder if this takes off. I actually would be worried more for Sony/MS. They can't sell consoles just based on their 1st party IP. 

If I'm "Joe Average" gamer who doesn't know any technical shit but my iPad plays FIFA, NBA2K, Madden, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, at visual fidelity not that far off from a console ("good enough" quality) ... what do I even need a Playstation for. It won't be an immediate thing but in a few years ... it gets dicey potentially. 

Apple releases an iPad dock where it can max clock at home and all bets are off. And I can even keep playing the game on my iPhone in short sessions on the bus, come home and continue on my higher fidelity Macbook or iPad, I'm sure they'll have like a cloud save system where your single game like Resident Evil 9 or whatever on iOS plays on all the devices. 

This is gonna be a problem for everyone slowly over time. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 12 September 2023

Around the Network

exactly shit doesn't just sell on power steam deck blows away the switch interms of power. you see people lining up to buy it for the past 2 or 3 years? IP'S and brand play a huge role. Nintedno has Nintendo ip's and sony is known has their fanbase as well.

gtotheunit91 said:

RIP Nintendo from the rumors, it sounds like Switch 2 will be an incredibly powerful handheld that would make gamers actually want to buy AAA third-party games on the system, only for Apple to come out and do it before them. If Apple is able to get a steady stream of AAA games, I wonder if they'll start their marketing for iPhone as "the only gaming handheld you'll need" or something like that.

Doesn't affect me at all since I always buy Nintendo systems just for Nintendo games, but I bet Nintendo isn't digging this announcement at all.

What Apple does need to add though is external storage solutions. Cheapest iPhone 15 Pro is $1000 and only 128GB. You're not gonna be installing many games with storage like that on your everyday device lol.

Huh? Nintendo is going to be fine, they have their IPs that the iPhones can't play. It's true some of their home consoles failed but that never happened with any of their handhelds, so if the Switch successor is a portable console they're going to be OK.

Putting sales politics to the side ... if you're a Switch gamer ... this is probably really great news.

I bet the Switch is definitely getting all of these games now too (RE4, RE8, Assassin's Creed, Death Stranding) but it will dramatically increase the Switch's leverage over publishers.

If you're going to make an Apple silicon version of a game, you might as well port to Switch too. I would say the chances of say Grand Theft Auto 6 on Switch 2 for instance just went up ... a lot if console games on Apple silicon become normalized.

May make life tougher for Nintendo's execs, but this is potentially very good for Switch gamers. Could also push Nintendo to have to make a Switch 2 Pro as I said too. If iPhones and iPads upgrade quite frequently, Nintendo will likely be under more pressure to respond. 

Soundwave said:
Leynos said:

Nintendo will be fine, though this may cause them to sweat a little more now. I actually would be worried more for Sony/MS. They can't sell consoles just based on their 1st party IP. 

If I'm "Joe Average" gamer who doesn't know any technical shit but my iPad plays FIFA, NBA2K, Madden, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, at visual fidelity not that far off from a console ("good enough" quality) ... what do I even need a Playstation for. It won't be an immediate thing but in a few years ... it gets dicey potentially. 

Apple releases an iPad dock where it can max clock at home and all bets are off. And I can even keep playing the game on my iPhone in short sessions on the bus, come home and continue on my higher fidelity Macbook or iPad, I'm sure they'll have like a cloud save system where your single game like Resident Evil 9 or whatever on iOS plays on all the devices. 

LOL you can literally play all those games mentioned on ps4 and guess what home consoles are still selling great so there goes that argument. people don't care they buy a freaking iphone every year like a 10% power boost. people like to upgrade and handhelds/mobile will never give the same experience as a home console. even if its just a 30fps/60fps thats still a huge difference for many.  

Last edited by zeldaring - on 12 September 2023

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

Nintendo will be fine, though this may cause them to sweat a little more now. I actually would be worried more for Sony/MS. They can't sell consoles just based on their 1st party IP. 

LOL you can literally play all those mentioned on ps4 and guess what home consoles are still selling great so there goes that argument. 

Because the consumer right now figures they need to buy a new console every 5-7 years to keep playing the latest and greatest FIFA, COD, whatever. Just like people bought Blu-Rays after DVDs just fine ... but then Netflix happened and then what? 

People realized "well actually ... I don't need DVD or Blu-Ray do I?". 

And look at what's happened to disc based media (superior to streaming in quality) since then. DVD/Blu-Ray players, much more popular than any game console went the way of the dinosaur. Now I don't think it's that simple for game consoles, but it could be a relatable example. 

Once consumers realize they don't need you, then the spending behavior can shift more rapidly than people think. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 12 September 2023