By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC: Switch 2 Was Shown At Gamescom Running Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo

Leynos said:
Chrkeller said:

So a ps3 pro....  exactly like I said?

And yes, it is well behind the ps4.  

PS3 pro implies still in the same ballpark. No. Also, it's not you that's on the list. Someone else.

Agree to disagree. But I see your point.  Pro to me mean it sits in between.  Either way we are splitting hairs.  The main point, which we agree, is the switch isn't in the same ball park as the ps4.  

Regarding ignore, I want to put Soundwave on there.  I was thanking you because I didn't know VG had one.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 10 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Leynos said:

I keep getting quoted by someone on the ignore list lol. VGC needs to fix it so there is no notification. So keeps turning blue. Anyway, somhow the autocorrect turned Established into awesome. wtf. Anyway corrected.

Wait, VG has a way to ignore people?  Well that solves my problem.  Thanks my friend.

I was thinking...  if a PC gamer told me my ps5 couldn't produce the visual fidelity of his RTX 4090, not only would I not argue for pages but I would agree.

Meaning I don't know why some take discussions about hardware so personally.

you know why he wont agree but i guess we are so bored that we kept responding.

Ps3 pro is exactly where the switch was which is not a bad thing at all. i mean just look all the ports of wiiu to switch and ps4 to ps4 pro. I think ps3 pro is actually where it line up perfectly.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Wait, VG has a way to ignore people?  Well that solves my problem.  Thanks my friend.

I was thinking...  if a PC gamer told me my ps5 couldn't produce the visual fidelity of his RTX 4090, not only would I not argue for pages but I would agree.

Meaning I don't know why some take discussions about hardware so personally.

Ps3 pro is exactly where the switch was which is not a bad thing at all. i mean just look all the ports of wiiu to switch and ps4 to ps4 pro. I think ps3 pro is actually where it line up perfectly.

I blame the heat wave for posting so much.  It was miserable outside yesterday.  Luckily the heat is moving out tonight.

I think a ps3 pro is a fitting description.  But I'm happy to call it a ps3.5 for Leynos, he is a good dude.

I do find the whole upscaling thing funny given it isn't new.  Retroarch upscales Dreamcast games quite well and yes they look way better....  but still look like dreamcast games.  The same will be true for Switch 2 games.  DLSS will improve image quality but they will still be switch 2 games.  

Retroarch is a good example of how upscaling works.  Some aspects see a good improvement while low quality textures still look like crap.  Luigi Mansion is a great example of what I'm talking about.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

I blame the heat wave for posting so much.  It was miserable outside yesterday.  Luckily the heat is moving out tonight.

I think a ps3 pro is a fitting description.  But I'm happy to call it a ps3.5 for Leynos, he is a good dude.

I do find the whole upscaling thing funny given it isn't new.  Retroarch upscales Dreamcast games quite well and yes they look way better....  but still look like dreamcast games.  The same will be true for Switch 2 games.  DLSS will improve image quality but they will still be switch 2 games.  

Retroarch is a good example of how upscaling works.  Some aspects see a good improvement while low quality textures still look like crap.  Luigi Mansion is a great example of what I'm talking about.

People that are experts on the subject   don't even recommend   using dsll at 1080p. This gonna be like the FP16 thing again where people keep rambling about it cause they want something so badly that they get delusional. This is one of the biggest channels gpu' and DSLL content and look what he said.

That being said switch 2 games on handheld should look great on a small screen, and on a tv as will look good because i do see dimensioning  returns.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

People that are experts on the subject   don't even recommend   using dsll at 1080p. This gonna be like the FP16 thing again where people keep rambling about it cause they want something so badly that they get delusional. This is one of the biggest channels gpu' and DSLL content and look what he said.

That being said switch 2 games on handheld should look great on a small screen, and on a tv as will look good because i do see dimensioning  returns.

I do think we have hit dimensioning returns.  Historically new hardware meant things that weren't possible like 3D with the N64 or large open worlds with the ps3.  We are at the point were weaker hardware can rub most anything.  Higher end hardware simply makes things prettier and run smoother.  How important is pretty and running smooth is a personal opinion.  Some may love playing FF7 on the Deck, but personally I'll take the vastly prettier ps5 version all day.  Granted I'm also in the process of building a nice gaming rig, so obviously fidelity matters to me.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 10 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Soundwave said:

Also DLSS 3.0+ is supported by all RTX cards (so likely Switch 2 as well). It's just the frame generation aspect that only works on 40 series cards, though who even knows if Nvidia is telling the truth about that (why buy a 40 series card if frame generation lets a 20 series card for example double its frame rate). The main thing DLSS 3.0+ adds past the frame generation stuff is "ray reconstruction", which I'm not sure I understand exactly but it makes ray tracing easier and denoises it or something? Sounds like that could help the Switch 2 add ray tracing for a lower performance cost. 

DLSS 3.0 is pretty much defined by optical multi-frame generation. 

DLSS 3.5 is the ray construction. 

The fact that Nvidia didn't lock 3.5 to their 4000 series gives more credence to their argument that the OFA in the older cards isn't fast enough for 3.0. If it were purely to sell 4000 series chips they wouldn't backtrack and provide support for 3.5 in the older architectures. 

Really I think Nvidia should separate the DLSS versions out into different things. DLSS 2.0 should be rebranded DLSS Super Resolution (DLSSSR) & DLAA, DLSS 3.0 should be rebranded DLSS OFG (Optical Frame Generation), DLSS 3.5 should be rebranded DLSS RR (DLSS Ray Reconstruction), and then they could version each one of these as they improve them. 

Feels like Nvidia been working with Nintendo too long lol. The naming convention is so poor that people think its the next version that does everything previous version did and more. They also don't realise you don't have to use all those features, just ones suitable. Like frame interpolation is bad enough in regular video encoding, so games will need work on it for sure.  People don't seem to understand that DLSS2.0 basically scales only, therefore it uses less resources then native and it allows the extra resource to actually keep the game steady at say 30fps or 60fps where in a native environment it would not be possible, instead assuming it will be adding extra frames when this will not be the aim for the switch.

Agree with you

Should be as you said and laid out in a common sense way:

DLSS (Parent), with below children you toggle on and off.            

- SR 1.0

- OFG 1.0

- RR 1.0

- FUTURE EXTENSION X

- etc

Another new thread.
Seems like a lot of leaks are coming in lately.
The release date may be closer than we think.

Also it seems the NVN2 framework, api and tools, developed and optimized by Nvidia specifically for the Switch 2 is ready and in the hands of developers. 

However, if current-gen games could be ported to Switch 2, let's say at 1080/1440p and 30/60 fps while maintaining a good graphics fidelity like the rumor says, will the Switch 2 cut legs to PS5 and Xbox in the long run? Ook maybe this is a topic for another day :)

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 10 September 2023

The GPU of the PS3 is equivalent to a 7600GT.
If there is a PS3 pro, it will be equivalent to 7800GTX or 7900GTX.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

I've owned every Nintendo home console ever made.  Nintendo is my favorite and I play the switch more than the ps5.  I'm just realistic about what mobile hardware will actually do.

At the end of the day I've explained how you are wrong.  So did ZeldaRing.  And now Pemalite has as well.

Your call on if you are going to continue the fool show.

DLSS is a tool.  It doesn't make weak hardware compete with high end.  Performance is a balance of all hardware.  Ps5 has upscaling tools available.  Switch 2 isn't running with the series s, much less series x and ps5.

End of story.

yup here is GOW using FSR 2.0 upscaling PS5 secret sauce confirmed. I don't really understand why people making this a  big deal out of this when every single PC gamer says its doesn't look great upscaling from low resolutions. judging off youtube videos is useless.

I watched the video and the results are comparable, not identical but good enough.

Look at it this way. In once scene it guessed and added too much water reflections, however how would a general gamer know that it did that unless they had a PS5 version of the game and a Switch 2 version of the game side by side and stopped moving and compare pixel by pixel?

I'll use a TV show example, many people are mind blown by Buffy 1080p amazon cut for how great it looks, however for those who understand that the original source is 4:3, and they basically cut out a 16:9 image randomly from it and scaled it up, know there is information missing. However the general consumer just remembers watching buffy on VHS and blurry picture now its sharp and crisp but don't realised it is zoomed it and cropped out detail. To make things worse they didn't even reintroduce all the colour corrections to it that were done postprocessing so night scenes look almost daytime, but again the general consumer is none the wiser.

Back to your video.

In reality there is nothing wrong with the two FSR images unless you are comparing it to the native source. Ok so in one scene the dragon on the wooden box had less detail? big deal, most gamers don't stand around admiring the detail on a wooden box.

In the parts where he walked around, they looked comparable in motion and I be happy playing any of those 3 versions.

Now the reason PC gamers say it doesn't look great is because of something called consumer bias.

Think of it like chocolate, buy a $100 block vs a $5 block. If you know which cost what your brain will automatically bias you into thinking the $100 one tastes better. Same applies to graphics card. In my head I just spent $1500 bux on the latest and greatest, so in my head I'm like oh yer this is much better then upscaling on my old graphics card. Now in reality we know we have reached diminishing returns, so our brain tricks us into thinking it is much better because of the money we spent to justify the purchase in our head. Is the new card better? absolutely, but to say the old one using FSR isn't comparable is just fooling yourself as that video demonstrated how they all look about the same, especially in motion. The image may not be an accurate representation of the native image, but it has managed to construct something a general gamer woudl be happy with as they non the wiser.