By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC: Switch 2 Was Shown At Gamescom Running Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo

Pemalite said:

1. sc94597 said:

Sure there is a compute time cost. A cost that was made quite trivial with Ampere, which the Switch 2's GPU is most likely to be an implementation of. 

If you are wondering what one should probably expect with the Switch 2, you can look up any video showcasing an RTX 3050  Laptop with DLSS on vs. off. 

Consider, for example, that an RTX 3050 mobile chip and a GTX 1650 mobile chip are very similar in performance (within 25% of each-other) without DLSS (and about comparable to what we should expect with the Orin ostensibly in the Switch 2.) But almost every tech youtuber recommends the 3050 mobile, solely because DLSS improves performance, by a lot.

Consider that with DLSS the 3050 mobile was able to get over the 60fps threshold, whereas it was averaging 55 fps without DLSS in Red Dead Redemption 2. Similar was done in Watch Dogs Legion, Control, and Call of Duty Warzone.  There was also a significant boost in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. 

We have no idea how the Switch 2's Tegra will stack up against the 3050. It could be multiples cut down and thus worst.

2. sc94597 said:

I know it isn't a technological barrier, but was XeSS support announced for consoles? 

Intel has made it platform agnostic. I think the only hard requirement is INT4 support and DP4a when XMX instructions are not available.

I doubt it will ever see wide adoption.

3. sc94597 said:

And yes, while the Series S does support FSR 2.0, FSR 2.0 still isn't quite as good as DLSS 2.0. So image quality might not be that different either. A Switch 2 game upscaling from say 900p -> 1440p (using DLSS) probably would have better image quality than a Series S game from 900p -> 1440p (with FSR 2.0) and if they both target a locked 30fps, then the Series S having a better CPU probably won't matter much. Modern CPU's barely bottleneck at sub-60fps framerates, and the predicted Switch CPU (8 core A78AE) is a decent enough ARM chip that at those lowish frame-rates it wouldn't matter. 

FSR 3.0 is rolling out currently and that brings with it a plethora of improvements that will benefit the Series S.

4. sc94597 said:

ARM is also a much more efficient architecture than x86 at low power profiles. 

...Ryzen seems to be doing well on that front.

5. sc94597 said:

I'd love for the Switch 2 to have a 40hz mode like the Steam Deck. That would be the best sweet-spot in my opinion. 40hz is a huge latency reduction over 30hz, while still being pretty attainable for the hardware.

Would be nice to play Metroid Prime 4 with ray-tracing, DLSS 1080p, at 40hz.

Honestly I would just like a variable refresh rate display in the Switch 2 rather than any fixed arbitrary refresh rate.

That way the display -always- matches the games output, dropped frame? Doesn't matter. You won't notice it.

We can't trust developers to ensure a consistent framerate at 30fps, let-alone 40 or 60fps, let the display make up for that instead.

6. sc94597 said:

The newest rumor is that it has 12GB of unified memory.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Consumer-Nintendo-Switch-2-rumored-to-have-more-RAM-than-the-Xbox-Series-S.747820.0.html

Then Nintendo is likely employing a clamshell memory layout, where 4GB of Ram will operate slower than the 8GB, likely partitioned for the OS/Background tasks, similar to the Series X... Because a 192bit memory bus is a bit much for a cost sensitive mobile chip.

Either way, 12GB isn't unheard of in mobile devices at the moment.

1. While it is true we have no idea how the Switch 2's Tegra will be like, a low TDP mobile 3050 level of performance (like the one in the video) is in line with the upper-end rumors, especially if they switched from Ampere to Lovelace as some of the more recent rumors allude to. Furthermore, it doesn't invalidate the point I was making that DLSS is a significant improvement even for the lowest-end Ampere chips. The 25W mobile 2050 (which is technically GA107, despite the 20 title) also benefits significantly from DLSS despite being a significant cut down relative to the 3050 mobile. It's often the difference between a game being unplayable or being lockable to 30fps (or 60fps.)  

2. Right, the point is moot of whether or not it can technically support XeSS if no games do. Nvidia has the incentive (with Nintendo) to push DLSS hard on the Switch 2 in a way Intel doesn't have with respect to XeSS and current gen consoles. 

3. We still don't know how well FSR 3 will compare to DLSS. Like DLSS 3.0, it seems mostly to be a Optical Frame Generation release (bleh), but I am sure they are indeed improving their TAAU solution too. The concern I have with AMD's ability to keep up is that as these Deep Learning Models get better (especially when the modeling process itself is automated by AI), it's going to be very hard for humans to keep up with the heuristic methods they've done in the past. AMD will either have to go the machine-learning route themselves, or find some new innovation beyond TAAU. 

It's unfortunate because it gives us less competition in the GPU-space, but the work Nvidia is putting into deep-learning inference in 3d modeling (and gaming) is very wide and deep. Every other month they release a new paper about some method of inference. These are all potential future DLSS implementations.

4. Between 12W - 30W they are doing well indeed. Sub-12W, ARM is still king. 

5. Yeah, true, just having a capable VRR display is better. 

6. The dev kits ostensibly are coming with 16GB. Having 8 GB dedicated to the graphics fits the performance-spec of the device. Anything more probably wouldn't make sense anyway. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Gee I wonder if every PS5 leak thread had PC enthusiasts coming into it and saying "well dur hur, it won't run at 120 fps, 4K and look just like the master PC version, so lol it doesn't count, only 10.8 teraflops! Ha what a lame piece of hardware,, not even fully RDNA2. I need to come in here and lower your expectations because I'm the fun police".

Like how big of a loser would you have to be to come into every thread about say a different platform and try to shut down discussion. Interesting how it's only Nintendo platforms that have to put up with this. 

Especially funny when like 80% of the crap being said is disproven straight away with simple Youtube searches of people doing things that we're told "nah that can't be done, not possible", "well like here's a video of it y'know like totally actually being done", "well that doesn't count because of new reasons I just invented". lulz. 

Instead of throwing a temper tantrum how about being an adult and reformulated your position?

If your position is now that the Switch 2 will have enough power to get current gen ports, they will look and play fine via reasonable downgrades....  news flash, every one here will agree.  

This whole argument started when you said the switch 2 would have visual fidelity close to the ps5...  which isn't true and sadly you know it.  It is just a question of what level of maturity you want to bring to the table.

And a high end PC will slaughter a ps5.  

For the record Nintendo is my favorite developer.  I own and play more switch games than any other platform.  And the switch 2 is automatic day 1 purchase.  So the anti Nintendo sentiment is beyond flawed.  

It is little things you can't admit.  You said the switch 2 would run FFVII Remake like the ps5.  The ps4 doesn't run it like the ps5.  The Deck doesn't run it like the ps4....  so no the switch 2 isn't running it like the ps5.  Fact. 

if your point is it would still look and run fine, I agree.  But pretending there isn't clear fidelity difference is simply nonsense.

And if you think the differences don't matter, that is fair because you are entitled to your opinion.  The issue is you want everyone to agree with your opinion.   Not all of us do.

So STOP.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 09 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

pemalite.
Please do not reply to my pre-edited comment.
It will be too hard to know how to answer.

Yes, I will comment later, but it will take time.

And if you were going to quote me, you should have put all my documents.
You have some passages you are quoting and some you are not, which makes my point moot.

It seems that simple mistakes were indeed made.
For that I apologize.

Then again, replying to everything you wrote doesn't seem to make sense either.

Anyway, I will inspect all my mistakes.
Let's do so for those parts of your argument that we can agree on in some form of summary.

And to be honest I distrust you, but I can also explain that it is not unreasonable.

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 09 September 2023

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

Thank you Pemalite. honestly i blame DF they basically explained DLSS like a advertisement, and didn't talk about any of the negatives. Everyone seems to think DLSS gives you double the GPU power magically lol.

There seems to be a subset of users on this forum who cling to buzzwords and run with it without actually understanding what it is or even what it means.

We saw it with the Cell.

We saw it with GDDR5.

We saw it with the ACE units.

We saw it with the PS5's SSD.

We saw it with the WiiU's eDRAM.

We saw it with the Xbox One's eSRAM and the Power of the Cloud.

We literally see it with every single console that gets released. - What does it amount to in the end? Stuff all.

When will people stop falling for it?

sc94597 said:

Sure there is a compute time cost. A cost that was made quite trivial with Ampere, which the Switch 2's GPU is most likely to be an implementation of. 

If you are wondering what one should probably expect with the Switch 2, you can look up any video showcasing an RTX 3050  Laptop with DLSS on vs. off. 

Consider, for example, that an RTX 3050 mobile chip and a GTX 1650 mobile chip are very similar in performance (within 25% of each-other) without DLSS (and about comparable to what we should expect with the Orin ostensibly in the Switch 2.) But almost every tech youtuber recommends the 3050 mobile, solely because DLSS improves performance, by a lot.

Consider that with DLSS the 3050 mobile was able to get over the 60fps threshold, whereas it was averaging 55 fps without DLSS in Red Dead Redemption 2. Similar was done in Watch Dogs Legion, Control, and Call of Duty Warzone.  There was also a significant boost in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. 

We have no idea how the Switch 2's Tegra will stack up against the 3050. It could be multiples cut down and thus worst.

Soundwave said:

I've seen DLSS from 360p it's not like some super secret that only you know about. 

It's not that bad at all. Yes there are some artifacts, but what are we talking about here? Playing high end games on a portable machine? Lots of Switch games today look like a borderline blurry/hazy mess in undocked mode, this looks as good or better image quality wise than several titles on the Switch I could name

On a 7-inch screen for an undocked mode, this wouldn't be that bad at all, it looks better than like DOOM Eternal and Witcher 3 and Xenoblade 3 undocked on Switch even at only 360p to draw from, 540p looks completely playable even on a 4K TV. 

Thanks for the video. If you watch it full screen on a decent display it looks absolutely shocking. Extremely blurry and undefined.

There simply isn't enough data to infer a clean and sharp image from 480P to 1440P/4k.

And I would expect it to look better than other native 360P-540P games on Switch, considering how far less powerful that is, but that doesn't mean 480P DLSS looks "good" by any stretch of the imagination... Native 1080P PS4 looks far cleaner.

May be "playable" for you, but I have better standards it seems.

zeldaring said:

I mean almost every impression i read and even NVDA recommends using it at 1440p. it has to be that while your playing it doesn't look good at all at low resolution using the upscaling.

When moving there is less temporal data to draw from, so the image quality actually degrades, hence the need for higher base resolutions.

But when you stand still, they are able to accumulate data from similar frames and infer a higher quality output.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I wanted to ask why pemalite determined that the original upscaled image was 360p or 480p without mentioning the next generation switch specifications.
What would happen to the Series S in that case?

I am sorry but his text was too long and I could not quote only the necessary parts.

I was debating those who were thinking they can just run Switch 2 games at 360P and reconstruct it into a 4k image without any issues.
It doesn't look great in the real world.

Obviously Switch 2 specifications haven't been released.

But a mobile device has lower TDP headroom than a fixed console, so the Series S will always retain an advantage... Especially as time goes on and FSR continues to improve.

sc94597 said:

I know it isn't a technological barrier, but was XeSS support announced for consoles? 

Intel has made it platform agnostic. I think the only hard requirement is INT4 support and DP4a when XMX instructions are not available.

I doubt it will ever see wide adoption.

sc94597 said:

And yes, while the Series S does support FSR 2.0, FSR 2.0 still isn't quite as good as DLSS 2.0. So image quality might not be that different either. A Switch 2 game upscaling from say 900p -> 1440p (using DLSS) probably would have better image quality than a Series S game from 900p -> 1440p (with FSR 2.0) and if they both target a locked 30fps, then the Series S having a better CPU probably won't matter much. Modern CPU's barely bottleneck at sub-60fps framerates, and the predicted Switch CPU (8 core A78AE) is a decent enough ARM chip that at those lowish frame-rates it wouldn't matter. 

FSR 3.0 is rolling out currently and that brings with it a plethora of improvements that will benefit the Series S.

sc94597 said:

ARM is also a much more efficient architecture than x86 at low power profiles. 

...Ryzen seems to be doing well on that front.

sc94597 said:

I'd love for the Switch 2 to have a 40hz mode like the Steam Deck. That would be the best sweet-spot in my opinion. 40hz is a huge latency reduction over 30hz, while still being pretty attainable for the hardware.

Would be nice to play Metroid Prime 4 with ray-tracing, DLSS 1080p, at 40hz.

Honestly I would just like a variable refresh rate display in the Switch 2 rather than any fixed arbitrary refresh rate.

That way the display -always- matches the games output, dropped frame? Doesn't matter. You won't notice it.

We can't trust developers to ensure a consistent framerate at 30fps, let-alone 40 or 60fps, let the display make up for that instead.

JimmyFantasy said:

- It should perform in the range of 2-3 tflops when docked.

2-3 Teraflops of what?

RDNA3 where each compute unit is now dual-issue which then introduces contention with resources reducing the performance per-teraflop relative to prior hardware?

Or are you talking about rapid packed math where it's double the teraflop for every single precision teraflop if the instructions are compatible? (Not always compatible, so you never get linear scaling.)

Teraflops truly is a bullshit denominator.

sc94597 said:

The newest rumor is that it has 12GB of unified memory.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Consumer-Nintendo-Switch-2-rumored-to-have-more-RAM-than-the-Xbox-Series-S.747820.0.html

Then Nintendo is likely employing a clamshell memory layout, where 4GB of Ram will operate slower than the 8GB, likely partitioned for the OS/Background tasks, similar to the Series X... Because a 192bit memory bus is a bit much for a cost sensitive mobile chip.

Either way, 12GB isn't unheard of in mobile devices at the moment.

Bolded:  The answer is never

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

DLSS SR has improved a lot too over the last year. FHD DLSS perf mode (540p to 1080p) is doable and will look fine on a small display.

Here's my prediction assuming the rumours are true:

a) Nintendo will prioritize quietness, portability and low power over performance. I highly doubt they will put a Steam Deck or Asus Ally in your hands. I suspect the Switch 2 won't be too much bigger than the current switch which comes with it's own set of limitations. For example, it puts a limitation on how much battery you can pack in, how much cooling you can pack in, how many watts the SoC can have. The Steam Decks SoC just by itself for example uses 15 watts while the Switch including the SoC, the screen and such uses around 15 watts.

b) Switch 2s Raster performance without DLSS imo will be around base PS4 but because of architectural advancements, much faster CPU, SSD, etc, there will be many games where the visual quality will exceed what ps4 is capable of and situations where ps4/pro simply won't be able to run the game. It's kind of like how a Steam Deck can't match up against PS4 in terms of native resolution in a game like God of War but Steam Deck can do things like run Ghost Runner with Ray Tracing enabled that the PS4 is not able to. Another example is any game or engine that requires an SSD, a PS4 simply won't be able to run it not due to a limitation on the gpu but due to being forced to use a hard drive.

c) DLSS is a game changer but it won't perform miracles. At best, you will have the visual quality of a Series S but at a significantly lower Render resolution. Can DLSS upscale Switch 2 from a lower render resolution say 720p and turn out better results than a Series S upscaling from 1080p using FSR 2? We will have to see but there has been countless tests that proved that upscaling DLSS from a lower resolution certainly was able to match or exceed FSR 2 from a higher resolution in terms of image quality. Because of the nature of DLSS which is Ai upscaling trained on super computers vs FSR 2 being a more traditional upscaler and RDNA 2 lacking in Ai acceleration department, it's very unlikely that FSR will catch up to DLSS without requiring RDNA 3 exclusive hardware. With that being said, I doubt the visual quality will match up against Series S in most cases even if the upscaling ends up being superior.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

numberwang said:

DLSS SR has improved a lot too over the last year. FHD DLSS perf mode (540p to 1080p) is doable and will look fine on a small display.

lol, that looks terrific image quality wise. For a 7-inch ish display? That's way more than fine. That looks nothing at all like native 540p undocked games like what we see on the current Switch which clearly don't look like they're 1080p or even close. That even honestly looks fine on a full 4K display which is what I'm watching it on in full screen. Is it as good as native 1080p ... probably not, but that is also not like an abomination of 1080p either, for most people that will pass quite easily. 

In fact I would bet a lot of the naysayers if they were shown this video out of context and just told it was Cyberpunk running at 1080p, they wouldn't even really question it. 

There's no way this doesn't make a huge difference for a platform like the Switch 2, no way. Go look at what a 540p looks like image quality wise on the current Switch and then come tell me it looks like a 1080p image comparable to the above. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 09 September 2023

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

a) Nintendo will prioritize quietness, portability and low power over performance. I highly doubt they will put a Steam Deck or Asus Ally in your hands. I suspect the Switch 2 won't be too much bigger than the current switch which comes with it's own set of limitations. For example, it puts a limitation on how much battery you can pack in, how much cooling you can pack in, how many watts the SoC can have. The Steam Decks SoC just by itself for example uses 15 watts while the Switch including the SoC, the screen and such uses around 15 watts.

b) Switch 2s Raster performance without DLSS imo will be around base PS4 but because of architectural advancements, much faster CPU, SSD, etc, there will be many games where the visual quality will exceed what ps4 is capable of and situations where ps4/pro simply won't be able to run the game. It's kind of like how a Steam Deck can't match up against PS4 in terms of native resolution in a game like God of War but Steam Deck can do things like run Ghost Runner with Ray Tracing enabled that the PS4 is not able to. Another example is any game or engine that requires an SSD, a PS4 simply won't be able to run it not due to a limitation on the gpu but due to being forced to use a hard drive.

c) DLSS is a game changer but it won't perform miracles. At best, you will have the visual quality of a Series S but at a significantly lower Render resolution. Can DLSS upscale Switch 2 from a lower render resolution say 720p and turn out better results than a Series S upscaling from 1080p using FSR 2? We will have to see but there has been countless tests that proved that upscaling DLSS from a lower resolution certainly was able to match or exceed FSR 2 from a higher resolution in terms of image quality. Because of the nature of DLSS which is Ai upscaling trained on super computers vs FSR 2 being a more traditional upscaler and RDNA 2 lacking in Ai acceleration department, it's very unlikely that FSR will catch up to DLSS without requiring RDNA 3 exclusive hardware. With that being said, I doubt the visual quality will match up against Series S in most cases even if the upscaling ends up being superior.

Well said.  I think this is spot on and very likely.  For a hybrid console around ps4 quality is going to be amazing, especially compared to where the switch currently sits.  

The only thing I would add is DLSS is a tool, not automatic.  So Nintendo is likely to do a great job with it.  But there will be a few lazy third party ports, meaning the max impact of DLSS will be a mixed bag.  

Either way I'm ready for an upgrade.  I love the switch and thought tears was the best game I've ever played.  But the age is showing.  Coming off RE Remake 4 in performance mode to my 2nd play of Sparks of Hope...  I'm ready.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 09 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Well said.  I think this is spot on and very likely.  For a hybrid console around ps4 quality is going to be amazing, especially compared to where the switch currently sits.  

The only thing I would add is DLSS is a tool, not automatic.  So Nintendo is likely to do a great job with it.  But there will be a few lazy third party ports, meaning the max impact of DLSS will be a mixed bag.  

Either way I'm ready for an upgrade.  I love the switch and thought tears was the best game I've ever played.  But the age is showing.  Coming off RE Remake 4 in performance mode to my 2nd play of Sparks of Hope...  I'm ready.

Thanks. One thing that's simple to understand is that a Switch 2 might draw around 15-20 watts including the screen, speakers, wifi, all that jazz. While a Series S draws around 80 watts and it doesn't have a screen, speakers and such. So there is a big power difference in wattage alone that the Series S has access to.

And yea, we will have to see how Nintendo/Nvidia does their DLSS partnership. If DLSS is implemented, I am sure Nvidia will be handling the DLSS Ai Training while Nintendo will simply include it as part of their Api for developers and leave it up to them if they want to enable it in their game or not. I doubt Nintendo or developers will do any Ai training for DLSS themselves. Personally I am just excited to see what Nintendo games look like with the power of PS4 and DLSS.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850