By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Baldur's Gate 3 - “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope”

JRPGfan said:
Mummelmann said:

That would be awesome, and grant so much more credibility and attention towards the genre. For me, there's no other type of game that comes close when it comes to immersion, sheer scope, and that glorious mix of tactics and action. With more modern engines and physics, things can only improve on the immersion side of things. The use of physics and environments in Divinity: Original Sin 2 was far and away the best implementation of these mechanics I ever saw, and the most awesome use of interactive environments since I played Half-Life 2.

After reading this bit... I actually tried to find out how much sales other (beloved by me) games in the crpg genre sold.
I was dissapointed, after a quick googleing on fallout1+2, torment, baldur's gate1+2, Divinity: Origianl sin 1+2 ect....
These games were so impactfull for me, and apparnetly they didnt sell much..... its depressing to learn.

So I kinda want BG3 to be actually be a sales success, just to prove that it can be done, even in this genre.

3 million already is beyond incredible, I think my favorite CRPGs of the past 4-5 years managed over a million, and was considered a huge success by the developer. Wrath of the Righteous by Owlcat Games sold well over a million by now, and their previous Kingmaker also crossed the 1 million mark. I agree though; the genre and some of the amazing games in it deserve more attention. I think newer audiences need more "flash" to gain interest, many CRPGs use dated or simplistic engines and interfaces. BG3 seems to have managed the balance of maintaining the crunch and strategy feel of most beloved CRPGs, all the while still modernizing its UI and overall looks and presentation enough to reach more "modern" gamers. Larian have already successfully accomplished what almost every major player in the industry has tried (and failed to do) since the 7th gen began; marrying different demographics via a single game.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Mummelmann said:

That would be awesome, and grant so much more credibility and attention towards the genre. For me, there's no other type of game that comes close when it comes to immersion, sheer scope, and that glorious mix of tactics and action. With more modern engines and physics, things can only improve on the immersion side of things. The use of physics and environments in Divinity: Original Sin 2 was far and away the best implementation of these mechanics I ever saw, and the most awesome use of interactive environments since I played Half-Life 2.

After reading this bit... I actually tried to find out how much sales other (beloved by me) games in the crpg genre sold.
I was dissapointed, after a quick googleing on fallout1+2, torment, baldur's gate1+2, Divinity: Origianl sin 1+2 ect....
These games were so impactfull for me, and apparnetly they didnt sell much..... its depressing to learn.

So I kinda want BG3 to be actually be a sales success, just to prove that it can be done, even in this genre.

It was always somewhat of a niche genre - which is not bad IMO, since it managed to retain most of its original complexity. When genres go too mainstream they often loose its core to cater to as wide as possible audience and inevitably become too water downed.

It will be miracle territory if Baldur's Gate 3 reaches 5 million in sales. I hope it reaches that and beyond, but.....once a lot of players that may hear the hype around the game try it out, may be turned off by the gameplay without giving it a fair chance.

Larian makes S-Tier RPGs and they deserve all the success with this game. A lot of people may be turned off by the game knowing it's essentially Dungeons & Dragons: The Game and immediately lose interest at the sheer complexity. I hope I'm wrong, but I would certainly temper expectations as to how big the game will be in terms of sales. It'll be big in everything else though!

Steam all time top15:
(shamelessly taken from BG3 thread on resetera)

What BG3 did yesterday on steam (472,136 peak playing on steam) (and likely ~20k extra or so on Good old Games client):

This is bound to hit 600k-700k over the weekend imo.
I doubt it gets much higher than that.... still the fact that this might be played more than Fallout4 is amasing.

This ontop of how well it did on Twitch with viewers, and streamers...
I'm happy to see this one succede!

Now back to gaming :)

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 04 August 2023

Well, I have no doubt the likes of Obsidian and inXile are keeping a VERY close eye on BG3. Bring on the CRPG golden age!!!

Around the Network

I like the game so far but man I had forgotten how much levels matter in Larian Studios games (though that's also true for a lot of D&D RPGs).

It'd be great if Wizards of the Coast licenses the D&D IP more to where we can get new entries in other franchises that released at the time Baldurs Gate 1&2 released like Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, and Planescape.

This is awesome news, not just for the genre and Larian themselves, but for the industry and us gamers. Once again, a small operator showing the big boys how it's done, and that actual work pays off.

It hit over 564k CCU on steam (as of 2 mins ago).

That puts it above, Fallout 4,Terraria, Valheim...  (Witcher 3 supposedly peaked at 103k concurrent players on steam)

Heres to hopeing it breaks past Goose Goose Duck, and Apex Legends, and even Hogwarts Legacy! (sometime tomorrow or sunday)

gtotheunit91 said:

Well, I have no doubt the likes of Obsidian and inXile are keeping a VERY close eye on BG3. Bring on the CRPG golden age!!!

I dont think inXile are capable of handling a tittle like BG3.... the quality and polish wont be there.
Obsidian might be able to, but their next two games are differnt genre's (not really crpgs).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 04 August 2023

Mummelmann said:

This is awesome news, not just for the genre and Larian themselves, but for the industry and us gamers. Once again, a small operator showing the big boys how it's done, and that actual work pays off.

Not to downplay what Larian has been able to accomplish, but I wouldn't call them a small operator. 

They have 6 studios and over 450 employees now. They're in line with the likes of Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games.