By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz on Mobile

gergroy said:
NintendoPie said:

i feel like having the sales and the articles and basically everything else on top of the forums is a bad design choice for mobile. sales don't seem as important to this site anymore since VGC isn't predicting themselves and the industry as a whole continues to get stingier with data.

if possible, i would move up the forums and articles higher so they're easier and quicker to access on mobile. the sales data could be hidden in the hamburger as well as further down in the scroll. the text size and spacing between articles could also be minimized so more can be seen at once. it almost feels like everything is too zoomed in.

also, i know someone posted pictures of the ads in deyon's thread. those need to be fixed as well. it'd be better if the ads were just skinny banners instead of half-page pop-ups. if ioi wants to keep video pop-up ads, they have to be smaller. as it is, they take up so much screen real estate that you literally can't scroll.

appreciate you and the rest of the team taking this seriously!

You can move around the home page stuff in your account settings.  I know the forum shows up at the top on mine.  

trunkswd said:
gergroy said:

You can move around the home page stuff in your account settings.  I know the forum shows up at the top on mine.  

I totally forgot about that as an option. It is on this page - https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/settings/preferences/ - where it says "Flip Hot Topics and Sales on Homepage"

oh interesting, good to know.

i feel like maybe the default should be forums on the top, though. we're shooting for more engagement and discussion, after all.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
gergroy said:

trunkswd said:

I totally forgot about that as an option. It is on this page - https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/settings/preferences/ - where it says "Flip Hot Topics and Sales on Homepage"

i feel like maybe the default should be forums on the top, though. we're shooting for more engagement and discussion, after all.

Wonder if we could put a sort of setting at the top of the page like...

"Display Forums First | Display Articles First | Display Sales Charts First"

Clicking on one refreshes the page and resorts the frontpage for you...Instead of it being hidden away in settings and for signed in users only.

Dunno if it would look messy though, there's already a lot on the front page, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 July 2023

NintendoPie said:
gergroy said:

trunkswd said:

Right now mobile auto defaults to have the left column on top (hardware charts, latest charts, latest shipment, prediction league), then the middle column (featured articles and latest stories), then the right column (forums, poll of the week, community contributions) 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

There's an annoying amount of dead space to the right which causes me to accidentally scroll to the right when I'm trying to quickly scroll-down, Lol.

Ryuu96 said:

Wonder if we could put a sort of setting at the top of the page like...

"Display Forums First | Display Articles First | Display Sales Charts First"

Clicking on one refreshes the page and resorts the frontpage for you...Instead of it being hidden away in settings and for signed in users only.

Dunno if it would look messy though, there's already a lot on the front page, Lol.

trunkswd said:

Right now mobile auto defaults to have the left column on top (hardware charts, latest charts, latest shipment, prediction league), then the middle column (featured articles and latest stories), then the right column (forums, poll of the week, community contributions) 

hmm, maybe to make the home page more streamlined and easier to access all parts of it, these different sections could be collapsed on the home page and you have to click on them to expand to see the whole section? that way, you only see headers such as "click to see sales data," "click to see articles," "click to see forums"? 

that would certainly make it look way more organized and also easier to access exactly what you want quickly. there could also be a little preview of like the sales in a minimal way, the top three articles, and top five hot topics so you know exactly what you're going to click on.

just a thought. not sure how hard that'd be to program.

Around the Network
badskywalker said:

If i'm being honest the only issue with VGChartz mobile I have has to do with ads. The lower 40% of my screen is taken up by them. Could be an apple/safari thing though. They are video ads, and I can't just wait for the ad to disappear as it just plays another one or the same one over and over. The banner ads are fine though

These ads do (most of the time) disappear but it takes awhile. I decided to time how long it takes for them to go away.

In a few trials it was 

3 times around 1:30

4 times around 1:00

2 times were 30 seconds

I can get behind the 30 seconds, but beyond that seems a little excessive. Also like Ryuu96 pointed out sometimes I can't submit posts because it is blocking the button.

Ryuu96 said:

I'm curious, does everyone else's rich text reply look like this?

Mine does but Trunks doesn't.

(I've never really used mobile on VGChartz).

Yep it looks like that for me too, it's why I basically gave up on trying to post while using the site on mobile. It's not even an Android related thing either since I use an iPhone. Possibly browser related? But I'm definitely not switching to Safari for VGC. 

Raven said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yep it looks like that for me too, it's why I basically gave up on trying to post while using the site on mobile. It's not even an Android related thing either since I use an iPhone. Possibly browser related? But I'm definitely not switching to Safari for VGC. 

It works fine for me and I have a Google Pixel 6 (Android/Chrome). This is an issue that should try to be fixed. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I use Samsung Galaxy S10 Android/Chrome. Don't know why Trunk's phone displays normally and others don't.

Definitely should be a priority fix though, I knew it was bad but yikes, Lmao.

I think if we could fix that and block ads from displaying near/in the reply box then those two things alone should help users a lot to post on mobile, no?

Everything else, like layout/visuals, can come later.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 July 2023

Raven said:
Ryuu96 said:

I use safari on iphone and it's the same lol