By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Discuss the state of the forums and find solutions

DroidKnight said:
BonfiresDown said:

I recorded a video of how the ads can look on mobile: https://imgur.io/a/X47y9x8

Imgur limits video clips to one minute but the ads stop shortly after that mark.

Normally it’s only three of those ads in a row but since I don’t use the the site on mobile I don’t know, maybe it’s gotten worse. As you can see it’s impossible to browse while the ads are running.

I didn’t even know there was a VGC subscription btw.

I can't even touch mine anywhere to be able to scroll.  Completely unusable.

That is awful. Really can be unusable on mobile. I have Supporter so don't get ads. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Here is how the site on mobile looks for me with Supporter. I have a Google Pixel 6. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 13 July 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

DroidKnight said:
BonfiresDown said:

I recorded a video of how the ads can look on mobile: https://imgur.io/a/X47y9x8

Imgur limits video clips to one minute but the ads stop shortly after that mark.

Normally it’s only three of those ads in a row but since I don’t use the the site on mobile I don’t know, maybe it’s gotten worse. As you can see it’s impossible to browse while the ads are running.

I didn’t even know there was a VGC subscription btw.

I can't even touch mine anywhere to be able to scroll.  Completely unusable.

This may as well be an advertisement to use adblocker lul

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I paid $5 to block Hynad and a couple others lol. I already had Ublock on to get rid of ads.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

That is why on mobile I still use the desktop version. Also not ideal, but at least the ads won’t block three quarters of the screen.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

The last notable exodus this site has had was when a large number of PS fans fell flat on their faces after their proclamations of doom for Nintendo Switch. It's the PS faction that has suffered the most significant decline relative to all others, because it used to be an about even split of Nintendo and PS fans on this site with Xbox and PC fans always being much smaller factions. The ratio between Nintendo, Xbox and PC fans is still about the same, but PS fans have... fallen off a cliff.

Since 2017 we have had Switch proving the doubters wrong time and time again. It wasn't until about half a year ago that there was a visible resurgence in activity from PS fans, because for one, Switch had slightly underperformed during the holidays, and two, PS was getting back into a position of winning after a long streak of playing second fiddle in the hardware sales charts. Even the Japanese market (Famitsu threads) somehow became relevant again.

It's not that PS fans have had less interest in gaming forums. ResetEra has been thriving all this time, after all. But one thing that I've noticed on ResetEra is that PS fans have worked towards the creation of a bubble that blends out Nintendo's success. This eventually culminated in the ousting of SalesEra because it was without a doubt an incredible annoyance for the hardcore PS fans to have sales threads paint a different picture than the desired one of PS4/PS5 domination.

So when it comes to the outlook for VGC's overall activity, it's not something that the people who are running this site can fix on their own. The necessary push needs to come from the outside, namely that Sony is the company who is winning. This was made pretty clear from the surge in activity earlier this year as well as things getting quieter again after the global pentup demand for the PS5 had been fulfilled and monthly sales for May have regressed to a point where the lofty expectations are not a given to be fulfilled anymore. The PS5 has gone from a record-setting quarter to one that is rather average, consequently followed up by Sony issuing a temporary price cut for the first half of July. Aside from the PS5 slowing down, there's also still the topic of Switch making its way to becoming the best-selling console of all time.

But one important overall aspect is not fixable at all. It used to be that it was believed that installed base matters a lot for consoles to get games made for them. But nowadays there's already so much proof out there that the AAA third party industry doesn't care, that console sales have become a lot less interesting for gamers in general. Back in the day there was real fear that games could leave PS and real hope that games could come to Nintendo, but this fuel for intense forum activity is virtually extinct, the recent Final Fantasy discussions being one of the few exceptions to this general rule.

Outside of this, it really comes down to moneyhats and acquisitions to drive this sort of activity; if you look at all the articles on VGC, the ruckus about Microsoft's A-B deal is by leaps and bounds ahead of everything else, routinely spawning 80 comments or more. This is also something that the forums have lost, because for whatever reason the PS vs. Xbox conflict was moved to the comment sections of articles instead of remaining in the forums; the vast majority of the people who comment belong to the most prominent posters on the forum. Perhaps articles are more attractive because they are less moderated; the discussions over there are certainly on a lower level than they would be here. Of all the things that could be done to make the forums more lively again, moving these discussions back here is the most feasible option.

As for what the users can do themselves, it would be simple things like the creation of threads for relevant news and recent games to discuss them. But many people have been here for so long that they don't care enough anymore. Perhaps the slower pace is welcome because it makes it so much easier to keep up to date with what happens here. If you come here only every three days, there's a good chance that you won't miss a single thread

That exodus you talk about was way before the switch release and had nothing to do with switch. Or maibe there was two exodus lol 

No fucking sane  playstation fan would want to sign up , they would just read news articles  and comments and NOPE THE FUCK OUT.

A bunch of reasons have led to the decline.

-forums aren’t as popular as they once were. As people get older and gain more responsibilities, they have less time to do their hobbies and therefore are less likely to spend time discussing those hobbies online and younger people prefer social media so you don’t have enough new people to replace the ones that “age out”.

-This is a site dedicated to sales and the industry has gotten a lot more secretive over the years and switched to reporting things like revenue & engagement. On top of that, the growth of digital has made tracking physical sales pretty useless and we no longer get leaks. It’s hard to discuss sales data when there’s not a lot of data to discuss.

-Site isn’t mobile friendly. I’m not just talking about the ads but it’s such a pain in the ass to use the tools/charts, there is no top/bottom of page button while scrolling through threads, the weird empty void if you scroll sideways, quoting is weird, etc. Things longtime users can possibly overlook but I have a hard time seeing many new people visiting the site and deciding to stay. Places like ResetERA or Installbase are much easier to navigate.

-Lack of trolls. A bit of a catch 22 as obviously the moderation team and staff want civil discussion and can’t just let a bunch of shit starters run around unchecked but those shit starters are the ones who created a lot of discussion. As annoying as members like Lawlight or Quickrick were, you can’t deny they got people talking.

I’m not really sure there is anything that can be done to reverse the decline, I feel any type of change is too little, too late. Sure, we will probably continue to see periodic surges in activity when something major happens like new hardware but then things will go back to normal and get quiet again while slowly fading into oblivion.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I do appreciate people bringing up issues with the site. Especially with the ads and the mobile version issues. If people can post more screenshots of the site on mobile that would be great. Especially of any issues. Whether it is with ads or any other issues. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 14 July 2023

There are plenty of reasons, but for VGChartz specficially... No offense to the guys maintaining this site, but it feels so broken and outdated, especially the ad stuff, and the last redesign of the forums felt very half baked and IMO just made things worse. The front page looks incredibly unappealing now IMO.

It wouldn't solve some of the other issues like the general decline of online forums, but man.

trunkswd said:

I do appreciate people bringing up issues with the site. Especially with the ads and the mobile version issues. If people can post more screenshots of the site on mobile that would be great. Especially of any issues. Whether it is with ads or any other issues. 

Some of the things can’t be shown with screenshots, it’s issues with how the site functions, I used to use the charts/tools on this site all the time but they are such a pain to use that I don’t even bother anymore.

The site just feels like a relic of the past.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.