By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Saudi Arabia in talks with SE for 8 months to get LGBT content censored

JWeinCom said:

Ugh. Fuck it. Too tired to argue over it. We have the same people that rant about cancel culture praising literal censorship. Because cancel culture is when people use their money and their voices to persuade a company. That's obviously bad. Instead we should have unelected government officials deciding what people can or cannot say. Dictators are fine as long as they like the dictators. Free speech for me, fascism for thee.

To anyone objects to queer or trans people existing, and that existence being acknowledged in video games, I hope that you either come to better views or one day find yourself on the receiving end of a rusty nail in the cornhole. Either way.

Soundwave said:

One group of people being treated as 3rd class citizens and having to hide their existence to keep up the falsehood that they don't exist is A-OK, huh. Lol, alrighty then. 

Also "how dare anyone criticize us!!! Tradishonal ValUEZ!!!!" lol. 

Tradition is bullshit.

If a particular tradition is one that positively contributes to human well being, it can be justified by appealing to tradition. You would just explain why keeping the tradition alive is beneficial in the present day. People virtually never have to appeal to tradition to justify something that is plainly good for society. 

Tradition gets dragged out as an argument when someone has no better reason than "well we used to do it that way". This is another way people try to perpetuate repugnant rules and policies that have no demonstrable value aside from making some hateful people happy. For instance, instead of someone saying they don't want to let gay people get married, they will say they want to protect traditional marriage. Instead of saying they don't want females to have equal rights, they are protecting traditional gender roles. It's dog whistles. 

When someone has to appeal to an abstract concept to justify their position, overwhelming odds are they are full of shit. Only reason people are defending this is because they don't like gays.

the-pi-guy said:
Ayla said:

Good. Cancel culture is a disease.

Ayla said:

Exactly! 

There is something very ironic about this pair of comments.  

If only there was a free speech comment to go with it. 

No no no. You libtards don't understand. Square is only choosing to put in gay characters in their because of the woke mob. So to prevent them from doing what the woke mob wants, we have to control what they say.

DON'T YOU SEE?! WE HAVE TO CENSOR THEM! HOW CAN THEY HAVE FREE SPEECH IF WE DON'T CENSOR THEM?!

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
sepoer said:

Well good for Saudi for stand with how it should to be. Not every country should following the Western culture. Even I don't mind with LGB on games or movie with a proper story.

How it should be? Excuse me?

LGBT people are people first. - If you have an issue with LGBT people, then that is your problem, not theirs... So stop making them to be the issue.

Lavamelon said:

I disagree with Saudi Arabia on most things, but at the same time I respect them for not bowing down to pressure from other societies. Who are we to dictate how they should run their country and traditions?

Once upon a time it was normal for slavery to exist across the globe, obviously moral standards changed over the centuries and it was frowned upon... Which resulted in even "other" cultures abandoning slavery.

Was that wrong as well?

Hating on LGBT people is not a "tradition". - LGBT people existed before any religion, so they ultimately should have their rights come first.

Lavamelon said:

They should remove the harsh penalties (nobody deserves to be killed), but they shouldn’t have to change their entire culture over it. I am fond of preserving tradition and cultural values, as long as those traditions and values don’t threaten human life, I am okay with it.

On one hand you are saying we should remove harsh-penalties, which is a changing of tradition.

But then you are decrying the changing of tradition.

Either you support tradition or you don't, that includes torture, mutilation, slavery and abuse of people, you don't get to pick and choose.

Some facts:
Reduce equality for LGBT people results in higher suicide rates.
LGBT punishments results in higher crime against LGBT people. - I.E. Murders, Mass Killings, Abuse.
LGBT criminalization results in higher incarceration rates which reduces the quality of life of LGBT people. - Unable to strive in life to success.

So where do you draw the line on culture/tradition where you deem it acceptable? Because making LGBT people as criminals results in higher death rates.

Do you not care about the life of LGBT people for the sake of tradition?

The things you are describing (torture and execution) are not “traditions”, they are legal punishments. Traditions are based on lifestyle and culture, legal punishments are based on how the government penalises you for doing something they don’t like. Two very different concepts you are intertwining. Celebrating birthdays is also a tradition, but we don’t torture people who refuse to celebrate their birthdays. You can have traditions without harming people who refuse to follow them.

the-pi-guy said:
ViktorBKK said:

BASED. Glory to MBS. If only we had a leader like that in Europe. Guess Viktor Orban will have to suffice...

I'm really hoping this is a joke. 

No. I'm serious. MBS is le gigachad. Glad to see someone is fighting back at globohomo.

~Banned ~Ryuu96

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 10 May 2023

Funny how controversial topics always bring out the fake accounts and dormant trolls to hide that they are bigots.

I'm all for countries doing what they want but stupid actions have consequences. They should be prepared to be mocked and laughed at for their stone ages traditions. I mean fuck it only took them how many years to change laws of women drivers, laws of age of marriage to protect children? but even then there is approvals given provided certain criteria are met.

Sadly the world is all political, but if a game developer had the balls they would release an expansion pack called the "Saudi Edition" and add in all the bigot shit in it so it raised awareness. The humiliation alone would hopefully force change. But I guess at the same time the amount of oil money they have, they probably just buy out SE and shut them down.

Lavamelon said:
Ka-pi96 said:

People with common decency?

Seriously, if your "traditions" are about discriminating against and killing people then they deserve to be criticised!

They should remove the harsh penalties (nobody deserves to be killed), but they shouldn’t have to change their entire culture over it. I am fond of preserving tradition and cultural values, as long as those traditions and values don’t threaten human life, I am okay with it.

What tradition and cultural values exactly?

Allowing gay people to exist doesn't mean you're forced to participate in any gay activities. Just like allowing a video game with a gay character to release doesn't mean anybody would be forced to play that game.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Lavamelon said:

Allowing gay people to exist doesn't mean you're forced to participate in any gay activities. Just like allowing a video game with a gay character to release doesn't mean anybody would be forced to play that game.

Saudi Arabia is a country where having families and raising children plays an important role in society. Since homosexual relationships do not produce children, it doesn’t really fit in with Saudi tradition of starting families. If homosexual relationships could produce children, then perhaps it would be more compatible with Saudi Arabian society.

I know that we are steering away from the topic of FF16 being banned in Saudi Arabia, so I will end my discussion here. But if you wanted to know why homosexuality is not seen favourably in Saudi Arabia, there is your answer.

Last edited by Lavamelon - on 10 May 2023

Lavamelon said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Saudi Arabia is a country where having families and raising children plays an important role in society. Since homosexual relationships do not produce children, it doesn’t really fit in with Saudi tradition of starting families. If homosexual relationships could produce children, then perhaps it would be more compatible with Saudi Arabian society.

I know that we are steering away from the topic of FF16 being banned in Saudi Arabia, so I will end my discussion here. But if you wanted to know why homosexuality is not seen favourably in Saudi Arabia, there is your answer.

I applaud the right for the way they drive their message effectively even if their entire line of arguments are based false hypotheticals. I don't understand how it became a mainstream opinion that LGBT rights are a threat to families. 

The family structure in the west has been under attack by the right and by the Neo-liberal policies for over 20 years (unfortunately, pushed forward by the centre left). But nope, it's the LGBT rights (which ironically would encourage gay to start families of their own through adoption or other means). 

Houses not being affordable anymore on a single salary working full-time, unless you're in a competitive field and at the top of your game 100% of the time or being asked to spend more time and money chasing college degrees to be "worthy" of a decent salary, or get two jobs or signed mortgages from cradle to grave etc. Yet, all I hear is how the LGBT community is a threat to families and birth rates, what a nasty cop out. 

Lavamelon said:
Ka-pi96 said:

So logically they should execute everybody that doesn't want children or is infertile too then? Because choosing to not have children is so bad.

You realise your argument is utterly ridiculous, right? Accepting gay people doesn't mean people can't start families anymore. So why should everybody be forced to do it? Eating meat is a big part of a lot cultures too, should they ban vegetarians then because they're not participating in that culture? No because that would be ridiculous, just like what you suggested.

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 10 May 2023

ViktorBKK said:
the-pi-guy said:

I'm really hoping this is a joke. 

No. I'm serious. MBS is le gigachad. Glad to see someone is fighting back at globohomo.

~Banned ~Ryuu96

We're fighting back against GloboIdiot.

Tjey been buying shares of nintendo and others , people should be worries