By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Saudi Arabia in talks with SE for 8 months to get LGBT content censored

sepoer said:

Well good for Saudi for stand with how it should to be. Not every country should following the Western culture. Even I don't mind with LGB on games or movie with a proper story.

Japan is in the west now? :) 

Human rights are not "western culture". 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 09 May 2023

Around the Network

I disagree with Saudi Arabia on most things, but at the same time I respect them for not bowing down to pressure from other societies. Who are we to dictate how they should run their country and traditions?

Last edited by Lavamelon - on 09 May 2023

Lavamelon said:

I disagree with Saudi Arabia on most things, but at the same time I respect them for not bowing down to pressure from other societies. Who are we to dictate how they should run their country and traditions?

People with common decency?

Seriously, if your "traditions" are about discriminating against and killing people then they deserve to be criticised!

Ka-pi96 said:
Lavamelon said:

Seriously, if your "traditions" are about discriminating against and killing people then they deserve to be criticised!

They should remove the harsh penalties (nobody deserves to be killed), but they shouldn’t have to change their entire culture over it. I am fond of preserving tradition and cultural values, as long as those traditions and values don’t threaten human life, I am okay with it.

JWeinCom said:

Certainly the right decision, but also a somewhat low stakes one. In terms of population, Saudi Arabia is a relatively small country, comparable to Canada. I wonder if a larger market was threatening a ban if they would be so principled.

Way things are going in the USA, I wouldn't be surprised if states like Texas, Florida and the rest of the south one day set's their sites towards video games and start banning them.

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:
JWeinCom said:

Certainly the right decision, but also a somewhat low stakes one. In terms of population, Saudi Arabia is a relatively small country, comparable to Canada. I wonder if a larger market was threatening a ban if they would be so principled.

Way things are going in the USA, I wouldn't be surprised if states like Texas, Florida and the rest of the south one day set's their sites towards video games and start banning them.

Can individual states ban games, even if other states allow them?

LurkerJ said:

Absolute disgrace, but thankfully, the rest of the world didn't just life the driving ban on women.

No wonder they didn't ban FF 15.

BASED. Glory to MBS. If only we had a leader like that in Europe. Guess Viktor Orban will have to suffice...

sepoer said:

Well good for Saudi for stand with how it should to be. Not every country should following the Western culture. Even I don't mind with LGB on games or movie with a proper story.

Is Western Culture code for "Basic Human Rights"?

Also, Japan is East.

Lavamelon said:

Saudi Arabia can do whatever they want, and we're free to criticise them for being assholes.

Lavamelon said:
Ka-pi96 said:

They should remove the harsh penalties (nobody deserves to be killed), but they shouldn’t have to change their entire culture over it. I am fond of preserving tradition and cultural values, as long as those traditions and values don’t threaten human life, I am okay with it.

And LGBT should be forced to change themselves? Forced to hide who they are?

Nah, there should be no penalties at all. It's basic human decency.

Those "traditions" are outdated garbage, a lot of horrible shit in human history can be called a "tradition" but we stopped doing a lot of them because we're meant to move forward as a species and not hold onto nonsense from times where people thought planets were Gods, that the Earth was flat, that women shouldn't be allowed to vote, among other crazy shit.

Shunning a group of people, treating them as lesser, does threaten them, even if it's not inherently violent, because it often leads to violence being performed against them by similar minded bigoted people, it treats them as lesser than everyone else, it takes away basic human rights from them which in turn emboldens other assholes who think there's something wrong with them.

ViktorBKK said:

BASED. Glory to MBS. If only we had a leader like that in Europe. Guess Viktor Orban will have to suffice...

You mean a coward and a moron?

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 May 2023

sepoer said:

"Good on the government for oppressing people for living their lives. Not every country should be following the western country by valuing lives of people I don't like."

Lavamelon said:

Why is it so hard for you people to pretend to value human life?

Lavamelon said:

Here's the thing, bud. They do.

Why is it such an awful thing to work towards a more loving and accepting world?

ViktorBKK said:

I'm really hoping this is a joke.