By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Studio PixelOpus being shut down

These are the guys that made Entwined (meh) and then Concrete Genie (neat game)?
Thats kinda sad, concrete genie seemed to be very differnt from most other games out there, and was not lacking in creativity.

Around the Network

So I am reading the studio size was around 20 people. That seem like an accurate headcount?

PlayStation Studios regularly evaluates its portfolio and the status of studio projects to ensure they meet the organization’s short and long-term strategic objectives. As part of a recent review process, it has been decided that PixelOpus will close on June 2.

Blood_Tears said:

So I am reading the studio size was around 20 people. That seem like an accurate headcount?

Something like that. 15-30.  

PotentHerbs said:
gtotheunit91 said:

That's a real shame. I'm guessing this project wasn't turning out the way they were hoping. Media Molecule better hope they nail the project they're working on now.

I think Media Molecule has more room for error compared to other PlayStation studios that have shut down because of how well their games review. 

Yeah, maybe. But before Dreams, the last game MM 100% developed was Tearaway on the Vita in 2013. Since then, there was early assistance on LittleBigPlanet3 with Sumo Digital, and co-development on a remake of Tearaway. Not exactly a stellar library over the course of a decade, and now Dreams ending support. They were definitely GOATED during the PS3 era.

I certainly hope they turn out okay in the end, but with one their founders leaving the studio just a month before PixelOpus announces they're getting shutdown, can make someone wonder what their future holds. Especially considering Pixel was in the middle of development as well as MM.

I agree with you on another comment though, London Studio better be careful lol.

Before this gen is over Sony will probably close down:
Media Molecule
London Studios
Team Asobi

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

I don't get it. Didn't they just purchase a couple of support studios a few months ago? Couldn't they just use this one as support for others?

chakkra said:

I don't get it. Didn't they just purchase a couple of support studios a few months ago? Couldn't they just use this one as support for others?

They bought Valkyrie Entertainment 18 months ago, and Nixxes about 2 years ago.

Nixxes is working on PC ports, and Valkyrie Entertainment is probably also making their own game.

PixelOpus was pretty small. Probably makes more sense to shuffle some people around instead of keeping the studio open.

chakkra said:

I think ultimately PixelOpus was basically viewed as being an indie-like dev. That was probably fine for Sony around the time of Entwined and through enough development of Concrete Genie. 

But Sony also don't need indie-like devs since there are hundreds of indie devs making creative and well received games, that even good stuff like Concrete Genie just gets lost.

As for being a support studio, that is clearly not what PixelOpus was founded to do. And since they had a Sony Animation contract, they surely want to develop games themselves.

But it's impossible to tell why Sony are just shutting them down unless someone can dish us the deets.  

But I do think it's disappointing. I believe Concrete Genie would've made a good foundation for a Ghostbusters game. 

twintail said:
chakkra said:

I think ultimately PixelOpus was basically viewed as being an indie-like dev. That was probably fine for Sony around the time of Entwined and through enough development of Concrete Genie. 

But Sony also don't need indie-like devs since there are hundreds of indie devs making creative and well received games, that even good stuff like Concrete Genie just gets lost.

As for being a support studio, that is clearly not what PixelOpus was founded to do. And since they had a Sony Animation contract, they surely want to develop games themselves.

But it's impossible to tell why Sony are just shutting them down unless someone can dish us the deets.  

But I do think it's disappointing. I believe Concrete Genie would've made a good foundation for a Ghostbusters game. 

I think it's a bit more than they're indie-like devs. I think worse is that even in the indie space they're not standing out. 

Supergiant is in the ballpark of the same size of studio. And yet they're consistently putting out games every 3 years that are pretty much all reviewing better than Concrete Genie, which took 5 years to put out. 

Even with the backing of Sony, they have not made anything in 10 years that would be considered ground breaking in the indie space, let alone the AAA space.  

the-pi-guy said:

We will miss those guys. All the best in their new endeavour.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies