By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

Live-action Zelda would require LotR or GoT level of production value with epic sets, locales, realistic costumes and make-up/prosthetics, a deep and well developed script and the best symphony orchestra out there. Which means a huge budget, and years of development with the best people both cast and crew. If any of these things fail it will be, like I said, super cheesy. Which would definitely suck; Pick a random Netflix fantasy movie or series, we wouldn’t want any of that. I’d rather trust them with an animated Zelda.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Two big problems with a live-action Zelda movie are it'll need a bigger budget, which'll increase the risk of it not breaking even at the box office, and even more care will have be taken with picking cast members, because they'll have to sound AND look right for their roles.

Honestly, for a Zelda movie to not break even, it'd need to be a monumental mess.

And Nintendo's doing their best to avoid restarted the curse of 1993.

S.Peelman said:

Live-action Zelda would require LotR or GoT level of production value with epic sets, locales, realistic costumes and make-up/prosthetics, a deep and well developed script and the best symphony orchestra out there. Which means a huge budget, and years of development with the best people both cast and crew. If any of these things fail it will be, like I said, super cheesy. Which would definitely suck; Pick a random Netflix fantasy movie or series, we wouldn’t want any of that. I’d rather trust them with an animated Zelda.

Same, that's more low risk. I know we want a Zelda movie to be way more serious than the Mario movie, but for some reason I want them to re-enact the Link To The Past rap from that Super Famicom commercial.

CaptainExplosion said:
Slownenberg said:

Zelda movies should definitely be live-action. That'd be sooo much cooler than animated Zelda and would open it up to older audiences. Think LotR but Zelda. It could be the next huge movie fantasy IP. Of course in collab movies like an eventual Smash bros movie we'd also get to see Zelda characters animated.

Anyway, yeah Mario movie expected to be at $871 million when the weekend ends. That means it did like $195 million this past week! So by end of next weekend it could be within spitting distance of a billion dollars. It could definitely end up in the 1.3 - 1.5 billion range, which is monu-freakin-mental!

Two big problems with a live-action Zelda movie are it'll need a bigger budget, which'll increase the risk of it not breaking even at the box office, and even more care will have be taken with picking cast members, because they'll have to sound AND look right for their roles.

I mean you could say that about every big budget live-action movie ever. Those aren't problems. That just means they have to make it good lol. A great live-action Zelda movie would absolutely kill at the box office and would set them up to use the same actors for a couple more Zelda sequel movies.

Mario movie cost 100 million. Sure Zelda live-action might cost 200 or 250 million. But Mario movie is going to soar over a billion. A great Zelda live-action movie would definitely have a great shot at 1 billion as well. So being more expensive than an animated movie isn't an issue. As with any movie, you need to make it good and appeal to a wide audience. And given how popular fantasy live-action movies are these days Zelda not breaking even would not be a worry.

S.Peelman said:

You're literally describing lots of movies haha.

Epic sets, locales, costumes, make-up/prosthetics, a good script, good music...yeah that's lots of movies. It's not like Zelda would be the first movie doing this haha. There's an entire industry of people making these kinds of movies, and they are really good at it because there are lots of awesome movies in that genre.

Some ya'll people acting like you've never heard of a high budget movie before. There's loads of them. Zelda should be one of them.

I think a Metroid movie, say a live-action adaptation of Metroid Prime or Metroid 1, could be very interesting. An experimental sci-fi film where there is very little dialogue because Samus spends the vast majority of the movie alone on a hostile alien planet.

Around the Network
h2ohno said:

I think a Metroid movie, say a live-action adaptation of Metroid Prime or Metroid 1, could be very interesting. An experimental sci-fi film where there is very little dialogue because Samus spends the vast majority of the movie alone on a hostile alien planet.

Wouldn’t that just be ‘Alien’ (in caves instead of on a spaceship) though.

Slownenberg said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I mean you could say that about every big budget live-action movie ever. Those aren't problems. That just means they have to make it good lol. A great live-action Zelda movie would absolutely kill at the box office and would set them up to use the same actors for a couple more Zelda sequel movies.

Mario movie cost 100 million. Sure Zelda live-action might cost 200 or 250 million. But Mario movie is going to soar over a billion. A great Zelda live-action movie would definitely have a great shot at 1 billion as well. So being more expensive than an animated movie isn't an issue. As with any movie, you need to make it good and appeal to a wide audience. And given how popular fantasy live-action movies are these days Zelda not breaking even would not be a worry.

You gotta keep in mind that after this film the highest grossing video game films have only ever reached 400m. A brand as massive as Mario combined with Illumination's expertise at making animated films loads of people wanna watch made this happen. A high quality live action Zelda film could do well but a billion would be unlikely regardless of how good it is since the average person is much more likely to know who characters like Mario and Bowser are than Link and Ganon.

Norion said:
Slownenberg said:

You gotta keep in mind that after this film the highest grossing video game films have only ever reached 400m. A brand as massive as Mario combined with Illumination's expertise at making animated films loads of people wanna watch made this happen. A high quality live action Zelda film could do well but a billion would be unlikely regardless of how good it is since the average person is much more likely to know who characters like Mario and Bowser are than Link and Ganon.

Yer but with that logic, why would anyone create a new live-action movie with new characters? Sometimes you have to risk it to get the biscuit as they say lol. Therefore, just because a wider audience may not know it now, doesn't mean that a well executed movie can't attract them to it. Otherwise movies would have been long dead already. It also depends what Nintendo's aim would be. Would it be a one off movie or would they try to make a series out of it? The first movie, they may be happy to break even if they spend big money on marketing for it for example, as this will drive people to want to watch the next one (assuming first one was good).

We also all know that Nintendo don't always play it safe as we seen with their consoles, so I can see them going all in and taking a gamble to see if it pays off.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

S.Peelman said:
h2ohno said:

Wouldn’t that just be ‘Alien’ (in caves instead of on a spaceship) though.

I mean, if there's one thing Metroid should be like, it's Alien. Besides, Alien hasn't had a really good movie in almost 40 years, the market's not exactly saturated by it.

Still, there's a lot about Metroid that makes it unique. Compared to Alien, it'd be less focused on horror and more on the mystery (so more scenes like the one where the Nostromo crew enters the alien spaceship, and less scenes like the ones involving the alien itself), and it'd have less dialogue. There should definitely be a horror element attached to the Metroids themselves, but they shouldn't really be a major presence before the ending of the movie. There's a lot that can be done with the mythos of the series, the Chozo and all, and especially with the Space Pirates who could be far more fleshed out than they were in the games.