By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

super_etecoon said:

I don’t think they’ll make a game based on the movie. The movie is already based on the games, albeit a much more surface level (but beautiful) representation.

I hope Nintendo treats their cinematic space separate from their game spaces. Movie tie-ins are almost always bad and I don’t think a game based on this movie would fare any differently.

What I’m hoping for Mario, whether it be 2D or 3D, is something to shake up the formula a bit. I definitely mean this for the 2D games. The fact that they can release a Maker for the game and just reskin past levels means that we’re still playing in the same DNA. Let’s break Mario and put ut back together in a fresh way.

3D Mario kind of does this already on its own, but I’m definitely hoping for a larger sandbox world to play in. I want to be able to get abilities or keys or activate buttons in individual levels that affect the main hub where we start. I want a real sense of progression that isn’t just tied to a certain number if stars or moons to unlock the next level.

And while they're at it, a new Donkey Kong Country and new Wario Land. Nintendo's so haphazard with it's IPs that aren't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or Animal Crossing that it's a miracle we finally got a new Advance Wars.

Around the Network

Is it wrong that I now want Kenan Thompson as Funky Kong in a Donkey Kong Country movie?

Miyamoto says more Nintendo movies are coming according to a Japanese news site.

It's passed $866 million!! ^^

CaptainExplosion said:

No it hasn't. After this weekend ends yes, but not yet.

Around the Network

Incredibles 2 still tracking $50m ahead in NA but with bigger drops, so Mario will likely reach it worldwide, although doing so with 15-20% more expensive tickets. I'm going from a floor of $1.1 B a week earlier to $1.2 B.

Huge moneymaker for Nintendo, not as big as last decade's whales NSMBWii and SMO but def. enough for them to start paying a lot of attention to movies.

Kakadu18 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Is that a prediction, or did you already find out for sure that that's where it'll be after it's second weekend?

CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

Is that a prediction, or did you already find out for sure that that's where it'll be after it's second weekend?

Not my prediction. I've seen box office tracking sites predict it to reach 434mil domestically by the end of this weekend and then roughly the same everywhere else would be then more than 866mil.

CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

Updating on that: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Super-Mario-Bros-Movie-The-(2022)#tab=summary

Current projections expect the movie to reach 871mil once Sunday is over everywhere.

Kakadu18 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Updating on that: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Super-Mario-Bros-Movie-The-(2022)#tab=summary

Current projections expect the movie to reach 871mil once Sunday is over everywhere.

Come one, keep going, Mario movie!! ^^