By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

Farmageddon said:

A little off-topic, and I realize this is prerendered and all, but still, you can see how far the technology has come in the last years just by looking at peach's dress physics - really impressive.

I like how it let her float down as a throwback to Super Mario Bros. 2. ^^

Around the Network

So indeed I went to see it yesterday. Thought it was great. Had a lot of fun. Movie theatre was filled with people from our (20s-30s) generation.

This was the biggest piece of fan-service I have ever seen though, with nonstop references to pretty much everything Mario related from the last 40 years, obvious but also less obvious like a book on Mario’s desk titled “The Odyssey”, and more even from plenty of other Nintendo games. That’s a good thing though, because in the end that’s really what you want to see. The animation was great, the soundtrack was great, the voices were great (also Chris Pratt, convinced this was a better idea than having over the top Italian accents like in the games which would’ve been annoying for a whole movie), and I like the story too. Sure it’s a simple story, but it’s a mash-up of stories from different games, and it works. If I wanted something really deep I’d go watch something else.

It is a bit Illumination-style chaotic though, there’s little time to breathe. But hey, when this was first announced, who’d have thought it would actually turn out good! I’m really glad it did, because that gives me confidence that they can do good on other things that will now surely come. Even Zelda, which I think has a lot of potential to be super cheesy if it’s not perfect or has high production values. As for continuing Mario, even though they already used a billion things from the franchise in this movie, there’s still plenty of potential for sequels, because they still left out a lot of characters, but I think the most obvious one is already confirmed for a sequel judging by the post credits scene.

S.Peelman said:

So indeed I went to see it yesterday. Thought it was great. Had a lot of fun. Movie theatre was filled with people from our (20s-30s) generation.

This was the biggest piece of fan-service I have ever seen though, with nonstop references to pretty much everything Mario related from the last 40 years, obvious but also less obvious like a book on Mario’s desk titled “The Odyssey”, and more even from plenty of other Nintendo games. That’s a good thing though, because in the end that’s really what you want to see. The animation was great, the soundtrack was great, the voices were great (also Chris Pratt, convinced this was a better idea than having over the top Italian accents like in the games which would’ve been annoying for a whole movie), and I like the story too. Sure it’s a simple story, but it’s a mash-up of stories from different games, and it works. If I wanted something really deep I’d go watch something else.

It is a bit Illumination-style chaotic though, there’s little time to breathe. But hey, when this was first announced, who’d have thought it would actually turn out good! I’m really glad it did, because that gives me confidence that they can do good on other things that will now surely come. Even Zelda, which I think has a lot of potential to be super cheesy if it’s not perfect or has high production values. As for continuing Mario, even though they already used a billion things from the franchise in this movie, there’s still plenty of potential for sequels, because they still left out a lot of characters, but I think the most obvious one is already confirmed for a sequel judging by the post credits scene.

Isn't Mario in general supposed to be chaotic anyway?

CaptainExplosion said:
KLAMarine said:

Thinking a Legend of Zelda film could look similar to Princess Mononoke.

But how would a movie in that style of animation draw people to theaters like the Mario movie has?

CGI is a possible route...

KLAMarine said:
CaptainExplosion said:

But how would a movie in that style of animation draw people to theaters like the Mario movie has?

CGI is a possible route...

Then they better make sure it's as serious as the source material.

Around the Network

Mario Movie snags a cool half billion worldwide according to Variety.

Becomes Biggest Video Game Adaptation Ever.

I have no idea where this thing will end up, but it certainly will be interesting to watch.  It currently hasn't even broken into the top 200 best selling movies of all time as Mission Impossible 2 has the 200th spot with $546 million worldwide, but we'll be able to track its rise.  The number one spot?  2009's Avatar at $2.9 billion.  That's a pretty steep hill to climb, but a $1.5 billion run would land them at the 12th position, edging out Top Gun: Maverick which sits at $1.49 billion as well as becoming the best selling animated movie of all time, edging out Frozen 2 which is at the 13th position all time. 

Last edited by super_etecoon - on 14 April 2023

super_etecoon said:

Mario Movie would have to hit $1.664 billion to claim the spot currently held by The Lion King.

The Lion King 2019, to be more exact.

Otherwise that might've just not been the most depressing thing I've read all year.

Last edited by mZuzek - on 14 April 2023

mZuzek said:
super_etecoon said:

Mario Movie would have to hit $1.664 billion to claim the spot currently held by The Lion King.

Otherwise that might've just not been the most depressing I've read all year.

Whoops, I keep forgetting that movie even existed.  Thank you for the correction.  I will update my post.

mZuzek said:
super_etecoon said:

Otherwise that might've just not been the most depressing thing I've read all year.

Fuck Disney remakes. *runs chainsaw through 2022 Pinocchio's head, then up the coachman's ass till he coughs up blood* Disney wouldn't have had to make lay offs if they just stopped making shitty live action versions of their animated movies.

But anyway, happy for The Super Mario Bros. Movie. ^^

super_etecoon said:

Mario Movie snags a cool half billion worldwide according to Variety.

Becomes Biggest Video Game Adaptation Ever.

I have no idea where this thing will end up, but it certainly will be interesting to watch.  It currently hasn't even broken into the top 200 best selling movies of all time as Mission Impossible 2 has the 200th spot with $546 million worldwide, but we'll be able to track its rise.  The number one spot?  2009's Avatar at $2.9 billion.  That's a pretty steep hill to climb, but a $1.5 billion run would land them at the 12th position, edging out Top Gun: Maverick which sits at $1.49 billion as well as becoming the best selling animated movie of all time, edging out Frozen 2 which is at the 13th position all time. 

At this point, it's more or less at half its North America totals and a third elsewhere judging from other animated movies with comparable box office drops.

This would translate to around ~ 1.1 billion lifetime gross, comparable to Toy Story 4 or Minions. If it holds better than expected, though, it could climb to Incredible 2 levels (which is tracking less than $100m ahead at this point) or even Frozen.