By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

Runa216 said:
A203D said:

But these are different games. They're trying for different things. You can have two awesome things, you know. 

I also absolutely LOVE the VII Remake style, where you can play as all the characters and mix up the action and menu-based combat. I love that and think it's the best way to adapt turn based to an action game. But I got drawn into XVI more. I think VII Remake is closer to tradition but XVI is more FUN. 

Yeah, the lack of a proper party is a bit disappointing. But again, that's just me pining for tradition, not evaluating the game based on its own merits. XVI is fun. The character interactions and writing are arguably the best the series has ever been. And as I said, most of my nitpicks are just 'I also liked what this other FF game did, and wish it was here, too.) 

This is sincerely the most fun and most engaged I've been in years. It's so good I completely forgot that I Was about to play Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster. I am so lost in the world and combat and story of XVI that I FORGOT I was about to play the best version of my favourite game of all time. That's how good XVI is. 

The thing is, taking the comparasion aside from FF7 Remake, FF16 I feel has a major issue with the gameplay. The issue is that theres 6 Eikon's with 5 abilities each, and you can only equip 2 moves of the 3 Eikons you have equipped. About half of all your moves are unusuable at any one time.

Then you have the issue with the movesets themselves. One the most fun Eikon's to use is Titan. You have a great move called Titan block, but then you have a similar move which can be assigned to a face button called Raging Fists. Its a better version of Titan block. Why didn't they combine the two moves together and have less moves, so you can assign more abilities to the face buttons.

It was so dissapointing for me to finally get Titan's moves, but have to unequip another Eikon to use Titan. I don't understand why they created so many awesome moves and gameplay mechanics for people to end up not bothering with half of them, because a lot of players will turn to fail safe moves like Heatwave when they are blocking projectiles. Theres no reason to bother with anything less capable than that.

I agree the interactions between the characters is fantastic. The relationship between Clive and Jill is 10/10, I don't want to spoil anything, but for me it was written and execuited really well. I even thought the way they handled the gay kiss was done very well and very tasteful. It dosen't feel forced.

At the same time, I still feel FF7 Remake slighty edged it out in that department. The relationship with Cloud and Barret starts off frosty and ends up with a bit of a bromance. Theres good banter between the characters. You don't have as much banter in FF16, its more serious conversations, which is fine, but for me I loved the banter of Remake.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
DonFerrari said:

I really want to go back and try the classics... but I want to have it on disc to make on my final fantasy collection, they are just to expensive, will keep looking for second hand whenever I can or on a big promo for the bundle on PSN.

One thing in FF16 that also makes it a FF and a lot of people probably didn't notice yet is that you have a mention of the Onion Knight.

Yeah, the physical copies got sold out quick, just Square Enix being cheap.

Still, if you cant find the physical copies, I would still recommend getting it digitally - they'll go for cheap especially on sale.

Yep I'm playing the patience game... so far I think I only saw 25% off, but it should get 70% cheaper within a couple years.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I recently beat Alan Wake Remastered and now I'm extremely hyped for Alan Wake 2.

Enemy variety looks promising, and in my opinion, it has some of the best visuals so far. I'm hoping Remedy nails the Dualsense implementation to match Alan Wake's incredible tension.

I don't want to be that guy but I can see Sony doing another showcase in September lol.

BasilZero said:
dane007 said:

Its fun game but its not a final fantasy game to me.

You can say that for every Final Fantasy game that was released after the original Final Fantasy.

You can definitely not say that about 9.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:

I recently beat Alan Wake Remastered and now I'm extremely hyped for Alan Wake 2.

Enemy variety looks promising, and in my opinion, it has some of the best visuals so far. I'm hoping Remedy nails the Dualsense implementation to match Alan Wake's incredible tension.

Looking forward to getting it tomorrow from playstaton +.  I almost bought the game so many times, but I'm glad I held off.  I didn't play the original version, so I'm excited.

PotentHerbs said:

I don't want to be that guy but I can see Sony doing another showcase in September lol.

Either that or they will have a beefy State of Play that will be more liked than their Showcase.

There were a few notable XDev games missing from the showcase.

- Stellar Blade

- Rise of the Ronin

- Firewall Ultra

- Any potential surprises. 

There will definitely be a State of Play/Showcase in August/September, Sony likes doing a show every few months. There's certainly enough material for a Showcase.  

rapsuperstar31 said:
PotentHerbs said:

Looking forward to getting it tomorrow from playstaton +.  I almost bought the game so many times, but I'm glad I held off.  I didn't play the original version, so I'm excited.

I bought it like couple months ago, can't complain, was a nice discount and I liked the game even if a little lacking.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PotentHerbs said:

Good because Stellar Blade was slated for this year and the devs social media and Sony have been silent for a year. Getting nervous. I can take a delay but worried it's canceled.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

DonFerrari said:

I bought it like couple months ago, can't complain, was a nice discount and I liked the game even if a little lacking.

Same for me. I felt like it was showing its age in some parts but the atmosphere is astounding. Actually beat it relatively quickly compared to how I usually go through games.