By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

the-pi-guy said:

People like different things.  

Bloodborne is still my #1 favorite game. 

I get why people love it, but the Lovecraftian stuff doesn't do much for me.

Also, I was surprised to find out it was even shorter than Demon's Souls and the bosses were kind of easy just like in DeS? Except for a very late-game difficulty spike, that is.

Personally, I'll rank it fifth below ER, DS, DS3, and Sekiro. Maybe tied with DS3 for fourth.

I hope we'll get a remaster/remake with a higher framerate, nonetheless, I know it didn't sell gangbusters because of exclusivity and all but neither had DeS.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

I get why people love it, but the Lovecraftian stuff doesn't do much for me.

Also, I was surprised to find out it was even shorter than Demon's Souls and the bosses were kind of easy just like in DeS? Except for a very late-game difficulty spike, that is.

Personally, I'll rank it fifth below ER, DS, DS3, and Sekiro. Maybe tied with DS3 for fourth.

I hope we'll get a remaster/remake with a higher framerate, nonetheless, I know it didn't sell gangbusters because of exclusivity and all but neither had DeS.

For me it's less about the lovecraftian stuff, and more about how it's more speed and action oriented. I like how healing is basically instant, and how you heal when attacking. 

Did you do the DLC?

the-pi-guy said:

haxxiy said:

For me it's less about the lovecraftian stuff, and more about how it's more speed and action oriented. I like how healing is basically instant, and how you heal when attacking. 

Did you do the DLC?

I thought the DLC was just the Chalice Dungeons, missed the Old Hunters stuff. I'll have to do it in NG+ when I get around to it.

I remember seeing the prompt in-game but never figured out how to trigger it, then thought it was maybe just a misplaced hint to get to Lecture Hall.

TallSilhouette said:

Taking my time with SM2, but just wanted to say I was amazed when I realized they took the time to record two different versions of Spidey's phone conversations. One where he's relaxed and casually taking the call and another where he's either swinging or fighting and appropriately exasperated. The switching between the two on the fly is seamless and some amazing attention to detail. If this was a thing in the previous games I didn't realize it.

I'm astonished with how Insomniac crafted SpiderMan 2 to be such a landmark achievement.

All the nuances from phone calls, to allies, to throwback suits, to the introduction of side missions tying in with the plot, they further elevate the brilliant combat, an overwhelming (at first) but addictive traversal system, and engaging story with some of the best set pieces in gaming. I'm still blown away with how fast the traversal actually is lol. 

rapsuperstar31 said:

It looks like you can get a month of EA play for .a discount of 0.99 in the USA and 0.79 in the UK on the playstation store. Not too bad if you want to run through Dead Space or any other EA game on there.

Appreciate the heads up! About to run through Dead Space remake in a week lol. 

Around the Network

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think Sony's live service attempts this generation have been all that bad.

They pivoted from Destruction All Stars being a full price release, adjusted quickly from community backlash for GT7's MTX, acquired Bungie, Firewalk, Haven, among other multiplayer studios, to pricing and releasing Helldivers 2 competitively. There have been some misfires this year, with Naughty Dog and Deviation, as well as Bungie missing internal targets, but that's the growing pains needed to cultivate quality.

Most of their live service attempts may not be massive successes, but I don't see why Sony couldn't have a handful of multiplayer games that review well, that end up having longevity despite their smaller, more niche communities.

Kinda hooked on Star Ocean Second Story R. Tho it did keep some of the warts of balancing issues the original had. With Like a Dragon Gaiden coming in the mail next week. PS5 is staying on for a bit.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

PotentHerbs said:
TallSilhouette said:

Taking my time with SM2, but just wanted to say I was amazed when I realized they took the time to record two different versions of Spidey's phone conversations. One where he's relaxed and casually taking the call and another where he's either swinging or fighting and appropriately exasperated. The switching between the two on the fly is seamless and some amazing attention to detail. If this was a thing in the previous games I didn't realize it.

I'm astonished with how Insomniac crafted SpiderMan 2 to be such a landmark achievement.

All the nuances from phone calls, to allies, to throwback suits, to the introduction of side missions tying in with the plot, they further elevate the brilliant combat, an overwhelming (at first) but addictive traversal system, and engaging story with some of the best set pieces in gaming. I'm still blown away with how fast the traversal actually is lol. 

The game is amazing.  I'm 80% done and have loved every minute of it.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Starting on Sonic the Hedgehog 06 on PS3.

Wish me luck.

Edit: Screw that shit.

I cant even get past the 2nd part of the first level.

The on-rail runner where you cant even control the speed, the obnoxious camera controls and the fact that Sonic glitches into everything.

The game is cursed as people have claimed it to be.

Not worth playing, I'm completely dropping this game, I've played NES games which played better than this piece of shit.

I only spent $10 on it so its whatever.

I just cant believe this game came out AFTER Sonic Adventure 2.

Remastering the game wont help or fix its issues, it'll need a Remake.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 05 November 2023

the-pi-guy said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/11/03/new-revelations-about-destiny-2-declines-bungie-layoffs-and-final-shape-as-make-or-break/?sh=31ffb3a63947

• Internally, really no one is blaming Sony for this, even management. Some employees were told that if the Sony buyout did not happen, that with current Destiny 2 performance the studio itself would have been in jeopardy if they were still independent.
  • Management said other levers were looked at to avoid layoffs. When employees asked if one lever was executive compensation, they were told no, and that it would not happen at the company. (Update: Post-publication, Bungie responded saying that CEO Pete Parsons and some other executives previously forfeited annual bonuses before the layoffs. But staff was not informed this happened until yesterday. The sum total of the bonuses given up is not clear).
  • Cannot be fully confirmed among every employee but at least to some, D2 director Joe Blackburn is not really considered to be one of the corporate culprits here for how things went down.
  • The trendline of spending on the game over time made the current year’s revenue estimates somewhat logical, so yes, the 45% miss is important, and was not necessarily some wildly inflated projection, however nearsighted it ended up being. There has been a real, damaging drop post-Lightfall in terms of player engagement/spending. And Lightfall sold very well.
  • Employees are extremely angry with leadership now, and have often communicated that publicly in meetings. Bets were made that did not pay off, but those who made them remain in the company, a fact lost on no one.
  • There have been many meetings about microtransactions where many devs wanted to reduce them, but they were always given the reply that they are necessary given how expensive Destiny is to operate. And complaints about new ones don’t always reflect reality. Event Cards may seem lame but they sell well, for instance. Or you’d be surprised how many people are still buying the oldest expansions that we always say should be free by now.
  • The ultimate goal is very much for Bungie to be a multi-IP studio with multiple games and revenue streams. But even if Marathon is a success there are likely not plans for some huge mass migration from the Destiny team to the Marathon team, abandoning the franchise.

There's a lot of interesting stuff in here. 

General vibe seems to be that people aren't blaming Sony, that things would have been a lot worse without them.

The article pretty much just lists who's not to blame, and it's pretty clear by omission that internally the blame is on Bungie leadership.  

This was a wealth of information, thanks for sharing. And good to see they took some actions to reduce the need of layoff. The part that is odd for me is that instead of laying off newer hires (or transferring them to other teams) they laid off some key veteran people (not even involved with the wrong bets). And together with most of the layoffs weren't on the development side it is less problematic than first though.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."