By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Swinging to Spider-Man 2

PotentHerbs said:
coolbeans said:

I'm not dismissing other PS surprises during this E3 window, but this just reeks of cope-posting.  Honestly, what's the mentality of Jim Ryan's "total mindshare" wank if the Showcase doesn't ascend those titular highs it's always considered by the fans? Sony deliberately called this a "Showcase," which carries more weight than a State of Play. To have this mentality like Jim Ryan is pulling 4D Chess moves behind the scenes should be met with immediate suspicion - especially if it's coming from sources that hyped this event to the moon.  

Wasn't that just another insider who posted that? I don't recall that ever being officially mentioned or communicated. 

That was Millie, who has a spotty track record...  

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
coolbeans said:

I'm not dismissing other PS surprises during this E3 window, but this just reeks of cope-posting.  Honestly, what's the mentality of Jim Ryan's "total mindshare" wank if the Showcase doesn't ascend those titular highs it's always considered by the fans? Sony deliberately called this a "Showcase," which carries more weight than a State of Play. To have this mentality like Jim Ryan is pulling 4D Chess moves behind the scenes should be met with immediate suspicion - especially if it's coming from sources that hyped this event to the moon.  

Wasn't that just another insider who posted that? I don't recall that ever being officially mentioned or communicated. 

You do seem to be correct.  This is the origin I've found...

So, it's fair to treat that insider's alleged quotes with skepticism too.  I assumed Ryan was open about that hype elsewhere based on Blood_Tears' comment.  I'll tweak that part to this: Jim Ryan knew how long it's been since a full-blown 'Playstation Showcase' was shown.  What's the mentality of 'oh let me hold back for Round 2!' if the promised Round 1 doesn't have enough fireworks to reach most fans' expectations?  The rationale just doesn't follow imo.  

Last edited by coolbeans - on 26 May 2023

PotentHerbs said:
coolbeans said:

Exactly, just because an insider said it doesn't mean it's true and Ryan may have not actually said that. I get it, people are looking for someone to blame because they didn't get what they want but the show wasn't all that bad. There was a lot of games and content shown. I think alot of people are being overdramatic on this one. 

Sucks to know that TLoU multiplayer might be canned. It really does suck.

BraLoD said:

It's not. 

I don't think Sony/ ND can afford a bad launch, so a re-evaluation of certain creative decisions makes sense. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
BraLoD said:

It's not. 

I don't think Sony/ ND can afford a bad launch, so a re-evaluation of certain creative decisions makes sense. 

Not having the kind of content needed to retain players is a pretty big concern. One that can potentially go back to the drawing board for since the biggest point of a live-service is keeping players. If the biggest aspect of a GaaS can’t even do that, then it’s beyond the concern of certain creative decisions. 

The hardcore fanbase will certainly be there, but the high quality standards ND has, I imagine they’ll need a good chunk of casuals to keep the investment going for years and years. So the gameplay and reward loop has to be top notch. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 27 May 2023

As shocking and disappointing as this news is about Naughty Dog, they're still a massive studio with two other projects in development, and are on pace to match their release cadence from the PlayStation 4 generation.

I will say, as disheartening as it is learning about some of these internal projects not panning out, Sony is also in their most aggressive phase when it comes to M&A.

While the majority of investments will be made towards multiplayer/live service/mobile developers, I wouldn't rule out Sony going for a developer like Remedy, or single player developers like Kojima Productions. Promising partnerships like Housemarque and Bluepoint aren't going to be slipping through their fingers this generation like From Software or Atlus did.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 27 May 2023

People should be happy we now have a bungie preventing these multiplayers gamed to suck and make sony lose a shit ton of money. Do you want sony to release turds like that avengers game ? Gaas games need some speciall qualities to not just release and die and bungie are experts.

You know what? After firing up Diablo 3 for the first time in 8 years on PS5. This game is still damn fun. Maybe not top-of-the-line visuals but it plays great still. Made me fire up Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast (which is also a great Diablo-like with a little Souls pre-Souls)

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!