By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
gtotheunit91 said:
DroidKnight said:

On the moneyhatting issue. I'm just trying to figure this stuff out.

Lets take last generation console hardware numbers for the example. (117 million PS4s vs 51 million Xbox Ones)

To moneyhat a game isn't as simple as outbidding the competitor?

For Sony to moneyhat a big AAA game, let's say 80 million dollars to keep it off of 51 million Xboxs.
Xbox could offer 120 million dollars to keep it off of 117 million PS4s and even though they outbid the competition by a lot it would still be turned down because of the smaller Xbox player count base vs the larger Playstation base?

They could offer even larger amounts of money, but with the smaller player base this would just end up becoming a loss on Xbox's part and a bad investment.

The way I see it, there is no way for Xbox to successfully moneyhat games, it isn't an equal playing field. Outright purchasing developers and publishers does seem the proper route for Xbox.

Yeah that pretty much covers it! Not to mention the major PR backlash if Xbox did try to moneyhat the likes of FF16, Resident Evil 4, or some other major AAA third party game. It would make the Tomb Raider backlash look like child's play! 

There's a reason why their third party exclusives have stuck with indie and AA titles only since Tomb Raider. 

I had never really put a lot of thought into it until today.  I always hear the Sony fanbase saying that moneyhatting is good and that Xbox just needs to outbid Sony, but I don't think it's possible, plausible, or that simple.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
DroidKnight said:

Lets take last generation console hardware numbers for the example. (117 million PS4s vs 51 million Xbox Ones)

For Sony to moneyhat a big AAA game, let's say 80 million dollars to keep it off of 51 million Xboxs.
Xbox could offer 120 million dollars to keep it off of 117 million PS4s and even though they outbid the competition by a lot it would still be turned down because of the smaller Xbox player count base vs the larger Playstation base?

They could offer even larger amounts of money, but with the smaller player base this would just end up becoming a loss on Xbox's part and a bad investment.

The way I see it, there is no way for Xbox to successfully moneyhat games, it isn't an equal playing field. Outright purchasing developers and publishers does seem the proper route for Xbox.

Yeah that pretty much covers it! Not to mention the major PR backlash if Xbox did try to moneyhat the likes of FF16, Resident Evil 4, or some other major AAA third party game. It would make the Tomb Raider backlash look like child's play! 

There's a reason why their third party exclusives have stuck with indie and AA titles only since Tomb Raider. 

If Xbox moneyhatted FF16 then they'd be fucking slaughtered, Lmao.

It's what happens when the rival is beating you by so much, in brand, in console sales, etc.

An Xbox moneyhat will always have more people angry than a Sony moneyhat, it's simple maths, there are more PlayStation fans.

And they're so entrenched in their system there is no guarantee they will swap to Xbox for a single IP rather than just wait.

Rise of the Tomb Raider cost $100m and all it got Xbox was immense backlash from gamers, journalists and Square Enix bitching about its sales, Lol.

Microsoft probably made fuck all from that deal, it didn't move consoles, it didn't sell enough, Microsoft paid $100m for no benefits.

DroidKnight said:

Yap. Simple, elegant, and straight to the point!

DroidKnight said:

I could be wrong, but if Microsoft is going to try and moneyhat a big game for 120 million, they are going to want that game on gamepass day 1.  If the options are the same in your example, it is going to significantly raise the cost to get that game exclusive to Xbox and on gamepass day 1 which lowers it's potential sales but greatly increases the amount of player that may play it.  That being said, we haven't even begun to see the results of the other major purchases.  Starfield is going to be the first absolutely monster game that comes out of their purchases.  Let's see what happens when Starfied, Avowed, Outer Worlds 2, Hell Blade 2, future games in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games etc get released.

Yep, acquisitions are the only way for MS to go. Moneyhatting games cost just as much if not more to do than just outright buying many studios out there.

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:
DroidKnight said:

I could be wrong, but if Microsoft is going to try and moneyhat a big game for 120 million, they are going to want that game on gamepass day 1.  If the options are the same in your example, it is going to significantly raise the cost to get that game exclusive to Xbox and on gamepass day 1 which lowers it's potential sales but greatly increases the amount of player that may play it.  That being said, we haven't even begun to see the results of the other major purchases.  Starfield is going to be the first absolutely monster game that comes out of their purchases.  Let's see what happens when Starfied, Avowed, Outer Worlds 2, Hell Blade 2, future games in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games etc get released.

That's exactly what they would want. If Xbox is investing in a exclusive third-party game, it has to be on Game Pass day one, which would also bump up the price for a AAA game. You're also right about Xbox yet to see the results of the major purchases. Redfall seems to have been made out of the flops of Dishonored 2 and Prey, and it turned into a Fallout 76 moment. Taking a studio that only made single player immersive experiences, and forcing them to make something they don't make, or perhaps not even interested in making.

I've said before that the foundation for the remainder of Xbox Series generation will start with Starfield. Once Starfield releases, the games you listed as well as the likes of Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3 and any surprises we'll find out about in a few weeks will start to pour in, hopefully, every quarter as is Xbox's goal. The teams have been getting all the time they've needed, and Starfield should be that gigantic splash that will get the gen going for Xbox. 

Ryuu96 said:

OMFG! GOAT!

My hate for Minecraft has not altered the universe to destroy this game and everyone involved with it, Damn!!!.  Now a movie, now I know there is no GOD.

NobleTeam360 said:

Yep, acquisitions are the only way for MS to go. Moneyhatting games cost just as much if not more to do than just outright buying many studios out there.

Just think how much the studio that developed Tomb Raider went for what 300 mill while MS paid 100 mill for one year exclusive.  I am sure Phil said, Hell Naw, never again.

Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

OMFG! GOAT!

My hate for Minecraft has not altered the universe to destroy this game and everyone involved with it, Damn!!!.  Now a movie, now I know there is no GOD.

But Matt Berry.

Just think, Microsoft could acquire a studio for $100m

I know Starfield will be huge but I genuinely can't wait to see what Elder Scrolls does to the console, I know it's frustrating to wait but Elder Scrolls by far will be the biggest exclusive that Xbox has ever had when it releases.