By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
SegaHeart said:

A new Fallout Josh Sawyer wants to make, Fallout California? While Bethesda does Fallout 5. I love both Fallout writings etc Glad Microsoft owns both Obsidian and Bethesda. Franchises.

At this rate, Josh's Fallout game would at the earliest, release close to the time of Fallout 5's release lol. Grounded is continuing to get more development support, no doubt Obsidian is throwing in as many developers as possible on Avowed, while the rest work on The Outer Worlds 2, and Josh has already said they're going to add bug fixes and new features to Pentiment. 

At the most, Josh would get a very small team to start pre-production, if it's something that's even being discussed at all, and wouldn't go into full production until The Outer Worlds 2 releases. So we would be looking at late 2020's

Bethesda still has the amazing writer from Fallout 3 and Skyrim , His 4 and 76 were forced . His Fallout 5 should be powerful like Fallout 3. Josh Sawyer Fallout New Vegas was amazing Then Pentiment score high 80's Fallout California and Fallou 5 would be too much fallout orgasm.

Minecraft Legends: The Chaotic Fun of PvP - YouTube

The sad reality is that we likely won't get a new Fallout this generation. Even if I wasn't fond of Fallout 4 all that much I do crave big western RPGS.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

VersusEvil said:

The sad reality is that we likely won't get a new Fallout this generation. Even if I wasn't fond of Fallout 4 all that much I do crave big western RPGS.

At least we'll get an Elder Scrolls.

Around the Network

gtotheunit91 said:
SegaHeart said:

A new Fallout Josh Sawyer wants to make, Fallout California? While Bethesda does Fallout 5. I love both Fallout writings etc Glad Microsoft owns both Obsidian and Bethesda. Franchises.

At this rate, Josh's Fallout game would at the earliest, release close to the time of Fallout 5's release lol. Grounded is continuing to get more development support, no doubt Obsidian is throwing in as many developers as possible on Avowed, while the rest work on The Outer Worlds 2, and Josh has already said they're going to add bug fixes and new features to Pentiment. 

At the most, Josh would get a very small team to start pre-production, if it's something that's even being discussed at all, and wouldn't go into full production until The Outer Worlds 2 releases. So we would be looking at late 2020's

Eh, I don't know about that. Avowed could still be a 2023 release, and Obsidian Fallout could go into early development as soon as Avowed releases, with pretty much the whole studio moving to Fallout after Outer Worlds 2 releases. Outer Worlds 2 has been in development since Summer 2019, before the first game even released, and Obsidian said when it was announced at Xbox's E3 2021 show that it would be releasing sooner than some might expect. I therefore think that Avowed could release Q4 2023 and Outer Worlds 2 in 2024, with almost the full studio (minus the small Grounded team and a somewhat small Outer Worlds 2 DLC team) working on Fallout by the end of 2024. If that does happen, I could see Obsdian's Fallout releasing in 2028 potentially, 2029 at the latest.

Meanwhile, over at Bethesda, as slow as they have been in recent years (Starfield in active development for 7 years already and still hasn't released), I could see Elder Scrolls 6 not releasing until 2025 or 2026 potentially (7-8 years after it's announce), which would mean that Fallout 5 active development won't begin until 2025 or 2026, which would put a Fallout 5 release in 2031 at the earliest most likely.

So an Obsidian developed Fallout could potentially release 2-3 years before Fallout 5, and still in this generation, since this generation is shaping up to be a long one (latest rumors says PS5 Pro won't release until 2025, which indicates that PS5 and Xbox Series will last until at least 2029 before their successors release).

Reminder at what Josh said in the interview.

-

Role at Obsidian: He's Studio Design Director so he will at least go back to giving feedback on different projects. When desired he can come onto a team if he has the time, to either work out a system to help lead a sub-team. He will probably be doing some of that in the short-term future because that has always been a part of his job.

Future Ideas: No idea if he can do them but he has had one idea for a while of a "Bike Shop Simulator" where you run a bicycle sale and repair ship, as he's really into cycling. He also thinks it would be cool to make an SRPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting, sort of like Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem.

He's only thinking about small to medium sized projects right now, big projects he doesn't know because he has been in small project mode for so long that it's hard for him to think about things at a large scale, but he says we'll see and he wouldn't say that he would not work on a big project again, it just hasn't been where his mindset has been the past few years.

On Fallout: "I love Fallout, I love the setting, I could see myself working on it again, but we'll see where the future takes me".

-

His response to Fallout simply leaves the door open but it's a fairly boilerplate response, based on his other comments it's obvious that we won't get a Sawyer Fallout anytime soon. Which, I think leaves Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky or Feargus himself to lead the team. Unless Tim/Leonard leave ToW2 before release, I think it only leaves Feargus to lead a small Fallout team in pre-production until some staff are freed up.

Avowed is early 2024 Imo but I also don't think that Obsidian will move Avowed's team over to a Fallout, think about it, if Avowed is more successful than The Outer Worlds, which it likely will be, I don't see them moving that team over to Fallout, I see them getting Avowed 2 into production ASAP. This is Obsidian's big project and their own creation, and I don't really see much overlap with Avowed team to Fallout.

Take for example, Carrie, the Director of Avowed, she was also the Lead Writer of Pillars of Eternity, but she has no connection to Fallout. Tim Cain and Leonard though? Even Feargus, have a large connection to Fallout. I think if Fallout at Obsidian happens, it won't be at the cost of Avowed, it'll more likely be alongside Avowed 2 and The Outer Worlds will be shelved as a result (unless they staff up a lot).

Ryuu96 said:

-

Role at Obsidian: He's Studio Design Director so he will at least go back to giving feedback on different projects. When desired he can come onto a team if he has the time, to either work out a system to help lead a sub-team. He will probably be doing some of that in the short-term future because that has always been a part of his job.

Future Ideas: No idea if he can do them but he has had one idea for a while of a "Bike Shop Simulator" where you run a bicycle sale and repair ship, as he's really into cycling. He also thinks it would be cool to make an SRPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting, sort of like Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem.

He's only thinking about small to medium sized projects right now, big projects he doesn't know because he has been in small project mode for so long that it's hard for him to think about things at a large scale, but he says we'll see and he wouldn't say that he would not work on a big project again, it just hasn't been where his mindset has been the past few years.

On Fallout: "I love Fallout, I love the setting, I could see myself working on it again, but we'll see where the future takes me".

-

His response to Fallout simply leaves the door open but it's a fairly boilerplate response, based on his other comments it's obvious that we won't get a Sawyer Fallout anytime soon. Which, I think leaves Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky or Feargus himself to lead the team. Unless Tim/Leonard leave ToW2 before release, I think it only leaves Feargus to lead a small Fallout team in pre-production until some staff are freed up.

Avowed is early 2024 Imo but I also don't think that Obsidian will move Avowed's team over to a Fallout, think about it, if Avowed is more successful than The Outer Worlds, which it likely will be, I don't see them moving that team over to Fallout, I see them getting Avowed 2 into production ASAP. This is Obsidian's big project and their own creation, and I don't really see much overlap with Avowed team to Fallout.

Take for example, Carrie, the Director of Avowed, she was also the Lead Writer of Pillars of Eternity, but she has no connection to Fallout. Tim Cain and Leonard though? Even Feargus, have a large connection to Fallout. I think if Fallout at Obsidian happens, it won't be at the cost of Avowed, it'll more likely be alongside Avowed 2 and The Outer Worlds will be shelved as a result (unless they staff up a lot).

Yeah, that's a good point. Pretty much everyone, minus Josh Sawyer, is working on The Outer Worlds. So it would most likely be that team that would work on New Vegas 2, or whatever they want to make.

Which is fine, because it would be a great swansong for some of these developers, like Tim Cain, that are definitely not getting any younger lol. Work on the IP that launched their careers. 

Ryuu96 said:

-

-

bolded last paragraph Carrie lead writer for pillars of eternity that game is amazing , Tium Cain, Leonard ,and Feargus I wonder what those 3 names wrote which version of Fallout?