By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 20 42.55%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 27 57.45%

Total:47

Little bit extra because I'm passionate about this

Forge is Fun.

Dumping Forge means dumping a large aspect of Halo's fun side and significantly hurts everything linked to it, Custom Games was/is hugely popular and Forge is a major contributing factor in that. Fan favourite modes like Griffball are possible because of Forge. Custom Games popularity is inherently linked to Forge.

Dumping Forge means Multiplayer will largely move towards a focus on Competitive rather than a blend. You'll alienate a large portion of Halo's fanbase. Some of us don't want to play sweaty Multiplayer 24/7.

So kiss goodbye to Custom Games being popular, to Forge filling in content gaps, to players creating unique maps/modes which are later taken on by 343, to a large aspect of Halo's fun factor, etc.

Back in my Reach days, I would spend hours everyday downloading Halo Reach Forge maps and my friends and I would then play through them all for hours on end, every single day, months on end; Things like Duck Hunt, Obstacle Courses, Races, Jenga, Avalanche, etc.

It's just pure joy.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 03 March 2023

Around the Network

Halo is probably the rarest of franchises where Campaign, Multiplayer, and Custom Games must be in harmony. One cannot exist without the other. If 343 had nailed all 3 of those when Infinite launched, it would've been declared the best Halo game ever. But it was so segmented that people just left.

It was just multiplayer for most of last year after the campaign was completed and I brought in new Halo players, loved the gameplay, and left because there wasn't that much to consistently play. Forge actually brought them back because of how cool it is lol.

I doubt they will dump Forge alongside the switch to Unreal 5 on Tatanka. I personally don't see why the Engine switch would kill Forge. We already know Unreal Engine can be used for large open world maps, far larger than the largest Forge canvas would likely be. All then that needs to be done is making a UI for selecting between assets and rotating and placing them, and making the assets themselves, and considering Unreal 5 has a built in library of open source assets already available to all developers, that would be even easier to do than Halo Infinite's Forge since Infinite's Forge required developers at 343 to hand build all of the Forge assets that Forge designers can pick between. It should just be a simple matter of carefully curating assets from the Unreal open source library that are less hardware intensive, and designing some of their own assets where necessary, in order to expand the maximum item allowance for Forge designers as much as possible while still allowing for 60 fps gameplay on the finished product. I can't say that the Forge in Unreal 5 would be quite as robust as the one on Slipspace Engine, the item allowance may be somewhat smaller overall, but it will definitely be a part of Tatanka I think, if not at launch than certainly at some point after launch. I would imagine that as soon as Infinite's Forge is finished, most of the Forge team will move over an start exploring ways to build Forge on Unreal 5 for Tatanka.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 03 March 2023

shikamaru317 said:

It seems Amazon is censoring Namco Bandai's MMO Blue Protocol for the western release, smh. I will never understand this whole western push to censor Japanese games, Blue Protocol features adult playable characters and is rated T for Teen in the US, and the outfits I have seen censored would not have effected that T for Teen rating in the slightest.

Not surprised after what they did to Lost Ark.

gtotheunit91 said:

Halo is probably the rarest of franchises where Campaign, Multiplayer, and Custom Games must be in harmony. One cannot exist without the other. If 343 had nailed all 3 of those when Infinite launched, it would've been declared the best Halo game ever. But it was so segmented that people just left.

It was just multiplayer for most of last year after the campaign was completed and I brought in new Halo players, loved the gameplay, and left because there wasn't that much to consistently play. Forge actually brought them back because of how cool it is lol.

Why I've always had a little sympathy for 343. They've got so much on their shoulders, a lot more than almost every other FPS developer and have to do it with fewer developers than those, Lol.

If Halo doesn't have a great Campaign, Multiplayer, lots of Modes/Maps across Arena/BTB, a great Forge/Custom Games, etc. All at launch then the Halo community lose their shit and the demands only seem to grow whilst with other titles (Battlefield) they can dump Campaign entirely and nobody gives a damn, Lol.

Soon we'll be expecting Firefight at launch as well Hopefully Unreal Engine can make all of that content possible on a much faster scale.

shikamaru317 said:

I doubt they will dump Forge alongside the switch to Unreal 5 on Tatanka. I personally don't see why the Engine switch would kill Forge. We already know Unreal Engine can be used for large open world maps, far larger than the largest Forge canvas would likely be. All then that needs to be done is making a UI for selecting between assets to place within those canvas maps, and making the assets themselves, and considering Unreal 5 has a built in library of open source assets already available to all developers, that would be even easier to do than Halo Infinite's Forge since Infinite's Forge required developers at 343 to hand build all of the Forge assets that Forge designers can pick between. It should just be a simple matter of carefully selecting assets from the Unreal open source library that are less hardware intensive, and designing some of their own assets where necessary, in order to expand the maximum item allowance as much as possible while still allowing for 60 fps gameplay on the finished product. I can't say that the Forge in Unreal 5 would be quite as robust as the one on Slipspace Engine, the item allowance may be somewhat smaller overall, but it will definitely be a part of Tatanka I think, if not at launch than certainly at some point after launch. 

I also doubt it will happen, I'm just countering the narrative that Forge isn't important to Halo, Lol.

There's a reason I think why Forge seems to be the first thing they're trying to translate over to Unreal Engine...

Hopefully they can make it work as good as Infinite's or I'll accept "almost" as good, Lol. We really can't revert too far back from Infinite's Forge.

Around the Network

Phil Agrees :Kappa:

Ryuu96 said:

Lmao, this is so good. Armor Lock was so trolly, I wasn't sad to see it removed from Halo.

One of his maps is already in the Community Playlist.