By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 20 42.55%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 27 57.45%

Total:47
gtotheunit91 said:

MS not doing themselves any favors by rarely, if ever, sharing numbers that isn’t quarterly revenue.

When you not leading anything then giving out numbers really do not help your cause either.  You cannot brag when you are at the bottom.  Also why give your competition valuable information for no gain.

Around the Network

So apparently there was actually some idiot journalist for VGC (the other VGC) yesterday trying to claim he had received news that Microsoft plans to sell off the Xbox division if the ABK deal isn't approved. He got called out by just about everyone, including other journalists such as The Verge's Tom Warren, and has now protected his twitter account

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

I wonder if Xbox is still involved or dropped it.

Bit of an odd way to announce it, without even mentioning Xbox's involvement, it would be an easy marketing win for Xbox.

This feels more like a self-published announcement, they could have waited until E3 or something.

At the very least, this does seem to be Project Dragon. When Project Dragon first leaked via Jez nearly 2 years ago, they had some job listings for a Project Dragon on their jobs site. Those are no longer there, they only have listings for Hitman, 007, and Project Fantasy. The details of Project Fantasy meanwhile match the details Jez gave about Project Dragon to a T, so I would assume that Dragon was simply renamed to Project Fantasy. It is odd that Xbox isn't mentioned at all, but this is a recruitment post, the Dragon job listings didn't mention Xbox at all either, but Jez had received evidence that Xbox was publishing Dragon.

It's 100% the same project, all the details match and even the studio doing it match (Barcelona).

I'm looking at other studios though, like the ones which Sony partnered with, they always tend to announce who is funding the project. Nothing like that here though and I don't think it's a case of Microsoft being afraid to announce another early project, a Tweet with just "in partnership with Xbox" would get a lot of Xbox fans excited.

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

At the very least, this does seem to be Project Dragon. When Project Dragon first leaked via Jez nearly 2 years ago, they had some job listings for a Project Dragon on their jobs site. Those are no longer there, they only have listings for Hitman, 007, and Project Fantasy. The details of Project Fantasy meanwhile match the details Jez gave about Project Dragon to a T, so I would assume that Dragon was simply renamed to Project Fantasy. It is odd that Xbox isn't mentioned at all, but this is a recruitment post, the Dragon job listings didn't mention Xbox at all either, but Jez had received evidence that Xbox was publishing Dragon.

It's 100% the same project, all the details match and even the studio doing it match (Barcelona).

I'm looking at other studios though, like the ones which Sony partnered with, they always tend to announce who is funding the project. Nothing like that here though and I don't think it's a case of Microsoft being afraid to announce another early project, a Tweet with just "in partnership with Xbox" would get a lot of Xbox fans excited.

Could be that it never made it past the early talks with Xbox and was renamed and made self-published as a result. Worth noting that the job listings for Project Fantasy say it is for PC and console, not consoles plural, could mean it is Xbox exclusive. Maybe it is still Xbox exclusive but not Xbox published, maybe it will be a 3rd party exclusive for Xbox with Xbox providing them with some funding but IOI self-publishing it instead of Xbox Game Studios publishing it.

shikamaru317 said:

So apparently there was actually some idiot journalist for VGC (the other VGC) yesterday trying to claim he had received news that Microsoft plans to sell off the Xbox division if the ABK deal isn't approved. He got called out by just about everyone, including other journalists such as The Verge's Tom Warren, and has now protected his twitter account

Wait, so apparently it wasn't just some idiot journalist, but Andy Robinson, the head editor for the other VGC, who has been a games journalist for 20 years, formerly working at CVG and GamesRadar+, as well as being one of the writers on Yooka-Laylee. A 20 year industry veteran and head editor for a gaming site should know better than to post a "trust me bro" article with no sources. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Wait, so apparently it wasn't just some idiot journalist, but Andy Robinson, the head editor for the other VGC, who has been a games journalist for over 20 years, formerly working at CVG and GamesRadar+. A 20 year industry veteran and head editor for a gaming site should know better than to post a "trust me bro" article with no sources. 

It wasn't an article, it was a tweet where he claimed that some "pundits" believe that Microsoft will sell Xbox if the ABK deal doesn't go through. I'm so tired over this conversation about if Microsoft will sell or shutdown the Xbox division if a deal which didn't even exist in their minds until late 2021 doesn't go through.

This acquisition has caused some serious brain rot, that alongside trolls who hope it happens and people who just worry too dang much. Thinking about it for longer than a minute will make you realise how silly it is to suggest either of those two things have a serious possibility of happening, I can't even be bothered to write up why because I feel it's a waste of my time it's that farfetched, Lol.

shikamaru317 said:

Proving, once again, that VGChartz is the better VGC.

Yeah, it's absolutely stupid to think Xbox will be sold because ABK falls through. Yeah, Microsoft is out $2b if that happens, but they knew that was a possibility going in, they will have already weighed the risk-reward before they started the process and determined the risk to be manageable. They certainly aren't going to sell off a profitable division because of a single setback. They will most likely redouble their efforts by announcing a smaller publisher acquisition within just a few months, one small enough to get past regulators with ease.

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, it's absolutely stupid to think Xbox will be sold because ABK falls through. Yeah, Microsoft is out $2b if that happens, but they knew that was a possibility going in, they will have already weighed the risk-reward before they started the process and determined the risk to be manageable. They certainly aren't going to sell off a profitable division because of a single setback. They will most likely redouble their efforts by announcing a smaller publisher acquisition within just a few months, one small enough to get past regulators with ease.

If they were, it would've been done during the red ring of death days

Microsoft selling Xbox doesn't make sense at this point even if the ABK deal falls through. Before they went an acquired so many studios? Sure. But not now.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.