By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
jason1637 said:
coolbeans said:

I figured this was partially directed at me, so I'll say I believe I qualified my statement enough.

While this is fair context, I simply don't like hearing how 60fps isn't a primary consideration.  In my mind, every Xbox 1st party dev ought to know the capabilities of Series S/X and pre-plan on how to maintain 60.  They can still have 30 or 60 options.

Forza Horizon 5 is 120fps and that came out in 2021 and looks way better than Avowed...

You're comparing a racing game to an open-world RPG?  wat...

They require different priorities in resources.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Redfall & Starfield both got a post-launch 60fps patch. So Avowed might get the same. May be a game that you're better off waiting to play on console if that matters to you. Unfortunately becoming a bit of a habit

VersusEvil said:

What always makes me laugh about the 30fps debate is everyone’s is pretty hyped for a game (that they’re seeing being played in 30fps) and enjoy what they’re watching ….until someone tells you it’s 30fps then it’s “unplayable” 🤣

Probably because the gameplay they were enjoying was on a demo PC running at 60fps+

Leynos said:
jason1637 said:

Forza Horizon 5 is 120fps and that came out in 2021 and looks way better than Avowed...

You're comparing a racing game to an open-world RPG?  wat...

They require different priorities in resources.

Forza Horizon is an open-world racing series. From what I've seen of the outside sections for Avowed (which isn't a lot), it seems less open-world and expansive than Forza Horizon 5.

They also chose to strip out the strict class system and a lot of the class specific elements from Pillars of Eternity, to streamline the gameplay into this jack-of-all trades quick-changing and fast-paced style game; less RPG elements, no huge or expansive open-world-- seems to be mostly sectioned-off areas with most gameplay in dungeons --not one of the most impressive looking games over halfway into the generation...

So where are those resources being prioritised exactly? Given when this game was announced and how long it's had to cook, you'd think they were still working on a budget.

Zippy6 said:

Redfall & Starfield both got a post-launch 60fps patch. So Avowed might get the same. May be a game that you're better off waiting to play on console if that matters to you. Unfortunately becoming a bit of a habit

For Starfield it made sense. It's actually impressive they were able to work in a half-decent performance mode at all.

For Redfall it was absolutely egregious. Just like it was egregious for FFXVI to have a performance mode that was nigh unplayable even with VRR (which also doesn't work as well on PS5).

When games seem to emphasise fast and dynamic gameplay, just like pretty much every Avowed gameplay reveal has so far, there's no excuse to not be made with a 60fps benchmark in mind given modern technology standards. And considering how much marketing was made around the Series X being the most powerful 'next-gen' system (during that bygone age when all these games were announced), it's just embarrassing that their first-party titles keep dropping the ball on this.

An open world alone doesn't automatically make something less or more demanding than another open world. Just depends what they are doing within it. Technically and mechanically.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Personally, I don't give a damn whether a game is 30fps or 60fps as long as it's not an FPS or Racer and that has always been my stance and before anyone says, I don't mean "an RPG with shooting elements" as an FPS but I mean straight up FPS titles where you spend 98% of your time shooting, FPS titles like Halo, Call of Duty, Doom, etc. Titles which are constantly non-stop quick paced shooting.

Everything else is still easily playable at 30fps for me, I'm not skipping Avowed on launch because it doesn't have a 60fps option, I definitely am not skipping GTA 6 on launch because I can guarantee that won't run at 60fps either and I sure as shit am not skipping Fable on launch when that inevitably runs at 30fps as well and all other games that will run at 30fps.

Avowed's issue for me is that it marketed itself at 60fps so it will be misleading if it doesn't launch on Xbox with a 60fps option, if it didn't market itself at 60fps then I wouldn't have cared, the developers made the decision early on in development to target 30fps and I'm fine with that but you cannot market the game at 60fps if it doesn't have a 60fps option or at least be clear from the start.

Having said all of this, I'm not going to get my pitchfork out just yet as I already said because it isn't even confirmed yet that Avowed won't have a performance mode at launch, all that was confirmed was an artist saying they're 30fps bare minimum and that he doesn't really know what the final target will be but 30fps is what they aimed for at the start, but he said that performance is one of the last things that they do.

Games got 6 months in the oven still.

Around the Network

The Avowed/Forza Horizon comparison is a really bad one, Lol.

You really need to talk the technical mechanics underneath, not just "Forza Horizon is prettier than Avowed so Avowed should be able to run 60fps" compare Avowed to something that actually makes sense, I love Forza Horizon but its world is beautiful on the surface level, you can't do fuck all in it except drive around which isn't a bad thing, it's a racing game, but it makes the comparison to Avowed a poor one.

Avowed's AI will be far more complex than Forza Horizon's, Avowed's World will be far more complex than Forza Horizon's, Avowed's Gameplay will be far more complex than Forza Horizon's. This was precisely the reason people were worried about Forzatech for Fable...Because the Forza Horizon games offer nowhere near the complexities of an RPG world, the gameplay mechanics of an RPG world, etc.

All this stuff will hurt an FPS more than "pretty graphics"

Star Wars Outlaws debuts at 78 OpenCritic.

That's not a bad score but it ain't great either, a typical "fine-good" but I did think it would crack the 80+ mark, though I only thought it would be around low 80s, it might even go lower than 78, Lol. Ubisoft really struggles lately to get any of their AAAs into the 80s mark. Still going to play it but Ubisoft really desperately needs to refresh their formula or these scores will continue to go lower.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 26 August 2024

I mean I’m getting 70-100fps on Starfield on a Series S … I don’t think anybody should worry about not getting a perf mode in Avowed. Just make it uncapped on launch.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Didn't know Age of Mythology: Retold was releasing in 2 days to early access buyers.

Wonder when the reviews will drop in that case and damn that's going to fuck its peak CCU.

I now have my big doubts it will be their biggest RTS launch thus far with the 7 day early access, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 26 August 2024