By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Do the announced changes at Halo Studios (prev. 343 Industries) have you optimistic for the future of the franchise?

Yes 12 52.17%

No 8 34.78%

Still need convincing (sp... 3 13.04%

Total:23
shikamaru317 said:
Leynos said:

DAO is the only great entry in the series. DAI is better than DA2 by far but it has a lot of problems. Dumbed down combat. Sidequests that go nowhere. Awkward writing. Enemies don't respawn in worlds so you can kill everything and then have an empty region. I killed everything lol. Giants in a forest respawned but little else. At times it has a nice atmosphere in some regions...at first. The keep is a nice hub area. It was visually nice for the time but it is aging. Dragons start off imposing but at some point they become easy to cheese. The steeds are useless a little bump they can't jump over. Searching for items is tedious. Click the stick and a small area pings. Now the Trespasser DLC was decent.

Not saying avoid DAI. It's fine. Just not amazing either. Has some highs but mostly flat.

Yeah, when I played DAI on release almost 10 years ago I was a bit disappointed. Felt MMO-like, lots of fetch quests, gathering of crafting materials, and mob killing. It just felt overly long and bloated. But I want to replay it ahead of Veilguard's release for story reasons, after 10 years I don't remember much of what happened in Inquisition, and I didn't play it's DLC packs the first time around, so I will be playing them for the first time now.

I've already found some good mods which will improve upon some of DAI's weak points and cut down on the grind, so I'm hoping for a faster and more enjoyable playthrough than my original 112 hour one this time around. Looking at How Long to Beat my original 112 hour playthrough was actually faster than the average player, the average completionist run for base game DAI is apparently 129 hours, the fact that I managed a completionist run in 112 hours on Nightmare difficulty is pretty cool. I don't know if I will even bother with Nightmare difficulty this time around, I only did it the first time for the Xbox achievement, and since I'm playing the Epic Store version this time and don't really care about Epic Store achievements, I'm not sure if it's worth adding to my playtime by going with Nightmare again. 

People on How Long to Beat are slow as fuck.

I'm always significantly under the average. Completed DAI (got all achievements except the difficulty related ones since I played on normal difficulty) and all the DLCs in sub 100 hours.

Doesn't mean you were slow though.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, when I played DAI on release almost 10 years ago I was a bit disappointed. Felt MMO-like, lots of fetch quests, gathering of crafting materials, and mob killing. It just felt overly long and bloated. But I want to replay it ahead of Veilguard's release for story reasons, after 10 years I don't remember much of what happened in Inquisition, and I didn't play it's DLC packs the first time around, so I will be playing them for the first time now.

I've already found some good mods which will improve upon some of DAI's weak points and cut down on the grind, so I'm hoping for a faster and more enjoyable playthrough than my original 112 hour one this time around. Looking at How Long to Beat my original 112 hour playthrough was actually faster than the average player, the average completionist run for base game DAI is apparently 129 hours, the fact that I managed a completionist run in 112 hours on Nightmare difficulty is pretty cool. I don't know if I will even bother with Nightmare difficulty this time around, I only did it the first time for the Xbox achievement, and since I'm playing the Epic Store version this time and don't really care about Epic Store achievements, I'm not sure if it's worth adding to my playtime by going with Nightmare again. 

I'm always significantly under the average. Completed DAI (got all achievements except the difficulty related ones since I played on normal difficulty) and all the DLCs in sub 100 hours.

I'm always above the average, mainly on RPG's.  I just can't help myself, I have to search everything, loot everything, read everything, slowly take in each environment, train myself in different loadouts to where it is all muscle memory(in the early stages of my playthrough), and a full deep-dive in menu navigation (I hate it when I find out there was something I could do and wasn't doing it the whole time until the end of the game).

I treat almost every RPG as I would a fine steak, I take small bites, chew slowly and get every bit flavor, and at the end I sop up all the juices and spices still on the plate with my bread roll. 

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

If people try to get achievements on their own or just look everything up before playing the game will already dramatically change the playtime and how people experience the games.

I mean, I probably wasted hundreds of hours to search for COG Tags or Skulls in Gears and Halo alone. But in the end I found every COG TAG on my own.

I'm also a pretty good player in most games and still need more time to finish just because I can even waste time in looking at a chair or vase in a game for some time if it's well made 😆

Pretty sure Barozi is a very good player but also pretty sure there's much more usage of achievement guides involved and less searching or trying without guides

Around the Network
Barozi said:
shikamaru317 said:

Bruh. You go through like 100 games a day, you the exception to the rule

You some speed demon on crack, nobody can keep up with you in this thread.

Ryuu96 said:
Barozi said:

Bruh. You go through like 100 games a day, you the exception to the rule

You some speed demon on crack, nobody can keep up with you in this thread.

He can also walk on water.

crissindahouse said:

If people try to get achievements on their own or just look everything up before playing the game will already dramatically change the playtime and how people experience the games.

I mean, I probably wasted hundreds of hours to search for COG Tags or Skulls in Gears and Halo alone. But in the end I found every COG TAG on my own.

I'm also a pretty good player in most games and still need more time to finish just because I can even waste time in looking at a chair or vase in a game for some time if it's well made 😆

Pretty sure Barozi is a very good player but also pretty sure there's much more usage of achievement guides involved and less searching or trying without guides

Nah this also applies to the main quest and main quest + extra categories. No collectibles required for these ones. Obviously there are no clear rules as to what counts as extra or completionist so these times can never be accurate.

Last edited by Barozi - on 26 July 2024

The more I see of The Wayward Realms, the more it seems too good to be true. They're really reaching for the sun. It's what I hoped Obsidian would have with Avowed when we only began to know of it's existence, since that was coming off the back of a franchise that returned to more old-school RPG mentality.

Since Avowed was actually revealed, it's more like they went in the direction of Skyrim with possibly even more streamlining and lack of consequence. It seems only independant studios are willing to appeal to the dreams of people who still yearn for the freedom and creativity of classics like Daggerfall. Not sure why that goes away suddenly once these studios get the huge budget and supposed security of a major publisher.