By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 15 40.54%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 22 59.46%

Total:37

I'm playing Unicorn Overlord! Great game :)

Around the Network

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

WoodenPints said:

What I find most bizarre is how over the last couple of years all western publishers have doubled down on AAA titles despite underperformance from them consistently then we had Square Enix say the same despite all their recent AAA games massively underperforming and we had Sony do it as well despite thin margins and super high budgets and risk of them and now Microsoft going down the same road whilst all the good stuff is coming from A/AA teams these days.

I believe people are missing the point.  There will continue to be A/AA games and publishers will still invest in them.  What they will not do is invest in them with huge budgets.  Only established IPs are getting sells for those 70 dollar price tags at a decent clip to justify the investment.  Think about Hellblade 2.  The game is coming out at AA price point because one its a short single player game that no matter how great the game looks cannot justify 70 bones for the amount of content within the game.  This is MS fully understanding the console gaming crowd and the expectations of a AAA game in this industry.

There have been a lot of devs forming their own studios looking for big money for their new IPs but those games really have not been hitting the market and gaining the sell to justify the investment.  This is why most of these publishers are only going to spend that money on established IPs.  What you are not going to see is a lot of new IP with AAA budgets because the landscape isn't supporting that kind of risk.  I actually believe you will see MS own studios drive their established IP with bigger budgets but for smaller A/AA games, Gamepass is where MS pour the investment into which so far is what they are doing.

TheLegendaryBigBoss said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Actually Forza Horizon 5 in 2021. Averaged a 92 MC and OC score.

You're right, I forgot about Forza. Forza (horizon anyway) is pretty much always critically acclaimed.

And Flight Simulator + Ori and the Blind Forest + Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

Ironically 2 of those aren't AAA blockbusters.

My actual god, they got rid of Harvey … the dream of Dishonored 3 is fucking over. I thought he was at Lyon …. So that’s one of my favourite studios officially dead, ain’t no Dishonoured without Harvey.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Kind of dislike this meme because that cross over Austin covers Arkane too...Arkane still lives in Lyon...Where it was founded.

And Dishonoured was co-developed by Lyon and Austin but Dishonoured 2 was largely made by Lyon.

Roundhouse was merged into Zenimax too, that was actually a good move, as they were only a support studio anyway.

Otherwise, an accurate image and painful to see Hi-Fi Rush, Tango and Prey crossed out.

VersusEvil said:

My actual god, they got rid of Harvey … the dream of Dishonored 3 is fucking over. I thought he was at Lyon …. So that’s one of my favourite studios officially dead, ain’t no Dishonoured without Harvey.

Dishonoured 1 was co-developed by Lyon and Austin, Dishonoured 2 was largely developed by Lyon but with Harvey as the director still, Dinga was the designer of Dishonoured 2. Though Lyon ain't going to be developing Dishonoured 3 anytime soon when they have Blade. With or without Harvey still being at Arkane, Dishonoured isn't a "blockbuster" and underperformed in sales.

I still can't believe the Prey IP died twice now

G2ThaUNiT said:

I still can't believe the Prey IP died twice now

Prey was a great game which flopped because of Bethesda's horrific marketing for it.

Use the IP name of an old game which nobody fucking knew about except a small section of people, for branding reasons? Even though the IP was next to irrelevant, then change everything about the IP so you piss off the actual small section of fans of the IP then barely market it but in fairness I think all of Arkane's titles are a bit awkward to market and show what they're about. Prey shouldn't have been called Prey, it should have been a new IP, it stands as a great game on its own but it has nothing to do with the original Prey IP.

Dinga liked this too.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 May 2024