By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Strategic Partner Manager for Japan Partnerships | Microsoft Careers

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:

I've noticed a lot of butt hurt and negativity over the idea of Xbox opening up it's platform for Steam, Epic Store, and whatever else. We don't hear anyone complaining about this with the Steamdeck, Asus ROG Ally, etc., but as soon as Phil entertains the idea of Xbox doing this people lose their minds. I see this nothing but a good thing for consumers if MS is able to pull this off.

Yeah, I don't see the issue at all. 3rd party support is going to start to suffer for Xbox, that seems inevitable, now that its looking like they are about to be the most distant 3rd place they have been since OG Xbox (where they were throwing money at devs to get games to compensate for being so far behind PS2). Having the option to put your Xbox console into a PC mode where it runs a low level Windows OS means that you will have access to any 3rd parties that skip Xbox via Steam/Epic/GOG/etc. It also means that Xbox will be able to play Sony first party games, since they have been putting them on Steam lately.

The only real downside I see is that Xbox misses out on some 3rd party software revenue from the Xbox Store where they get 30% of every game sold, but most will still buy on Xbox Store when a game is available there for Xbox achievements and an optimized version of the game that runs a bit better.

Would have been cool if they continued Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey back in the day. They would have their own JRPG game franchises. I still return to Lost Odyssey every couple of years. A 4K update with some QoL improvements would be soooooo great. I'll just keep dreaming. I'm 100% sure they must have at least considered it, but ended up deciding it was not worth it.

Last edited by PixelPirate - on 29 March 2024

The other VGC (Video Games Chronicle) just put out an opinion piece about Phil Spencer. “I think Phil Spencer, for so long cast as Xbox’s saviour, may ultimately be remembered as the man who killed it.”

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1773785785596002632?t=GYfiYM_uAC-AcwxbIC76xA&s=19

PixelPirate said:

Would have been cool if they continued Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey back in the day. They would have their own JRPG game franchises. I still return to Lost Odyssey every couple of years. A 4K update with some QoL improvements would be soooooo great. I'll just keep dreaming. I'm 100% sure they must have at least considered it, but ended up deciding it was not worth it.

Would love to see a remaster/remake of Lost Odyssey 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

The other VGC (Video Games Chronicle) just put out an opinion piece about Phil Spencer. “I think Phil Spencer, for so long cast as Xbox’s saviour, may ultimately be remembered as the man who killed it.”

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1773785785596002632?t=GYfiYM_uAC-AcwxbIC76xA&s=19

Biggest eyeroll possible and more of the usual dooming from the industry which only last month was widely praising Xbox going more multiplatform, Lol. You can say it will hurt Xbox hardware but we don't have enough information for the extent of that impact, we can't predict 5-10 years from now and we don't even know the full extent of their multiplatform plans but the Xbox division itself isn't going anywhere.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 29 March 2024

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Biggest eyeroll possible and more of the usual dooming from the industry which only last month was widely praising Xbox going more multiplatform, Lol. You could say it will hurt Xbox hardware but we don't have enough information for that, we can't predict 5-10 years from now and we don't even know the full extent of their multiplatform plans but the Xbox division isn't going anywhere.

I've been somewhat critical of Phil Spencer and some of his decisions over the years, but I agree this seems overly doom and gloom. I hardly think Xbox is going to die outright anytime soon. Traditional Xbox hardware may die, but it seems like it will very likely be replaced with Xbox PC-console hybrids if that does happen. Meanwhile Xbox is definitely here to stay as both a publisher and a service provider via Gamepass.

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Biggest eyeroll possible and more of the usual dooming from the industry which only last month was widely praising Xbox going more multiplatform, Lol. You could say it will hurt Xbox hardware but we don't have enough information for that, we can't predict 5-10 years from now and we don't even know the full extent of their multiplatform plans but the Xbox division isn't going anywhere.

I've been somewhat critical of Phil Spencer and some of his decisions over the years, but I agree this seems overly doom and gloom. I hardly think Xbox is going to die outright anytime soon. Traditional Xbox hardware may die, but it seems like it will very likely be replaced with Xbox PC-console hybrids if that does happen. Meanwhile Xbox is definitely here to stay as both a publisher and a service provider via Gamepass.

Pretty sure it came down to the Executives above him told him to either shape up and do this or him losing the job/the xbox IP and brand sold.

Now this on the other hand is somewhat more problematic, and actually worth the criticism if true. Microsoft is rumored to be making a PS5 native version of Minecraft, when there still is no Xbox Series native version after 3+ years.

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1773689553745830142?t=dI7MAAMUyinKtJP7OrYuXw&s=19

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

It's fine to be critical but I'm sick to death of this constant same old dooming and God, now the journalists are getting in on it, I know it's one guys opinion but last month all I saw were journalists praising Xbox going multiplatform with some titles, Lmao. But like you said, Xbox hardware won't die anytime soon, they still have at least one more gen in them and who knows what would happen to gaming hardware 5-10 years from now even if Xbox wasn't porting stuff to other consoles since it's a stagnate market. Why are so many people crystal ball dooming.

And at the very minimum, Xbox will be here to stay, whether that's as a company that provides hardware or as the biggest third party publisher in the industry alongside having Game Pass, well they're technically that now but being that without hardware, Lol. There's zero chance that MS pulls out of gaming as a whole at this stage and Xbox is profitable as it is.

The article is basically like "The handheld will be a failure! The Xbox/PC hybrid will be a failure! Game Pass is a failure!" and no Game Pass isn't a failure, it may not have met its lofty internal targets but it's still a profitable service. But then he also says "Great games sell consoles. A hundred billion dollars later, Xbox still doesn’t have them" Yeah, okay then, Xbox doesn't still have any great games (Lmfao) but then immediately complains that "Taking former exclusives to rival platforms is yet more short-term thinking. Sure, it may pump the numbers a bit, but each new port is one less reason for a potential new customer to buy an Xbox"

Okay, so Xbox has no great games to sell the console but also it's a bad thing they're porting their games to other consoles? Lol. You just made the argument that the games aren't selling the console because they aren't great.

And this part is just silly AF: "In another, where instead of spending $70bn on Activision Blizzard he spent it on 230-odd games with the same budget as Spider-Man 2, perhaps Xbox is flying" For the love of God guys, XBOX DIDN'T LOSE $69BN. THEY CHANGED $69BN IN CASH TO $69BN IN ASSETS!!! IT IS NOT THE SAME THING AS FUNDING $69BN WORTH OF GAMES!!!

Lmfao. Just sick of the needless pessimism everywhere.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 29 March 2024