By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Do the announced changes at Halo Studios (prev. 343 Industries) have you optimistic for the future of the franchise?

Yes 0 0%

No 0 0%

Still need convincing (sp... 0 0%

Total:0

Some of my thoughts on the LTD sales of Xbox Series X/S and PS5 plus the future of Xbox.
It's absolutely wild the cycle of the "Big Three" in consoles.
Microsoft came in when Sega's hardware was dying and launched the Xbox many months after Sega's hardware did die. Both Xbox and GameCube were direct competitors to PS2 and got destroyed.
Nintendo went the "Blue Ocean" strategy after that. Wii U was a big flop, but Wii and Switch sure weren't.
Xbox continued to directly target PlayStation. Xbox 360 wasn't outsold in total lifetimes sales by the PS3 until 2014, I think. PS3 may have won in units sold, but I'm pretty sure you could argue 360 won because; more software was sold, Xbox Live subscriptions, less money lost on hardware.
Later in the Xbox One's life, we saw Microsoft take a different approach of using XCloud and PC integration and such. Xbox became more than just an experience on consoles. Even still, I'm pretty sure they were still trying to directly compete with Sony for a while.
But now in 2024? It seems like now none of the Big 3 are in direct competition. Xbox is putting several first-party games on PlayStation, and I wouldn't be shocked if be the time of PS6 we get games like Forza and Halo on PlayStation.
We know Xbox is making a successor to the Series, but I truly think it will have virtually no console exclusives and double-down on the "we like when you buy Xbox hardware, but we don't care where you play Xbox."

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

I figured this was the reason. The collection was coming up on 9 years old and was a single purchase. It's not getting anymore major sales that can justify continued development. 

It should be noted that NO ONE at 343 was happy with this decision, including Pierre Hintze. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 07 March 2024

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

I wish Microsoft would make more remasters, how can the most greedy company on planet earth not give us the most easiest of easy cash!? Where’s ma Fallout 3/NV remaster? Morrowind Remaster? Halo 3 facking ANNIVERSARY!!!? Come on brah.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Amazon.com: Fallout

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 07 March 2024