By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Fucking yikes, glad I no longer watch anime. Sonys anime monopoly really coming to a head with the closure of Funimation in April and $55 price rise for Crunchyroll.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network
VersusEvil said:

Fucking yikes, glad I no longer watch anime. Sonys anime monopoly really coming to a head with the closure of Funimation in April and $55 price rise for Crunchyroll.

I thought Sony wouldn't raise their prices if they were a monopoly, at least that's what I've been reading.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Fable tried to warn us 

Before

After

VersusEvil said:

It truly annoys me that regulators allowed that acquisition to happen. Funimation and Crunchyroll were the two biggest anime streaming apps by far, allowing Sony to own both created a true monopoly. The various mainstream streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Max each have some anime content, usually the more popular older series, but for more niche titles and simulcasts of new seasons, your only real options now are Crunchyroll and HiDive, and HiDive doesn't even have 10% marketshare compared to the combined Crunchyroll + Funimation (and a far smaller selection of anime content, they only have Sentai stuff afaik). As I said, textbook monopoly right there, they allowed a merged entity with like 90+% marketshare to happen, and now they are doubling prices because they can.

shikamaru317 said:
VersusEvil said:

It truly annoys me that regulators allowed that acquisition to happen. Funimation and Crunchyroll were the two biggest anime streaming apps by far, allowing Sony to own both created a true monopoly. The various mainstream streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Max each have some anime content, usually the more popular older series, but for more niche titles and simulcasts of new seasons, your only real options now are Crunchyroll and HiDive, and HiDive doesn't even have 10% marketshare compared to the combined Crunchyroll + Funimation (and a far smaller selection of anime content, they only have Sentai stuff afaik). As I said, textbook monopoly right there, they allowed a merged entity with like 90+% marketshare to happen, and now they are doubling prices because they can.

Worst thing is Funimation digital library people own …. Isn’t supported on Crunchyroll so people are gonna straight up lost their digital licences….

Around the Network

Translation:

Recon Cloud was so expensive... Due to the influence of Palworld, Prices of XBOX array controllers compatible with cloud gaming are rising across the board... When I bought Recon Cloud, it was 3980 with earphones...  Maybe the time has come. #XBOX
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is a huge price increase, Japanese gamers really want to play Palworld and it's driving up the prices of cloud compatible Xbox controllers quite alot. 

VersusEvil said:

Fable tried to warn us 

Before

After

Just for context, this was changed last year, Lol.

And Imo it looks like a simple graphic design change, the new looks far better than the old.

Plus platforms are still listed at the bottom and Game Pass is still plastered everywhere.

Nothing burger but I did see Xbots freaking out about it earlier today, Lol.

shikamaru317 said:
VersusEvil said:

This would basically be the equivalent if either MS or Sony purchased Valve. Instant 90%+ marketshare of PC gaming. 

DroidKnight said:
VersusEvil said:

I thought Sony wouldn't raise their prices if they were a monopoly, at least that's what I've been reading.

Its always funny how people find out their favorite mega corporation acts like a mega corporations when they get a chance to dominate the market.  I can see all the Sony faithful jumping for joy with the though of MS leaving the console market only to rue the day if that end up being the case.  

shikamaru317 said:

Translation:

Recon Cloud was so expensive... Due to the influence of Palworld, Prices of XBOX array controllers compatible with cloud gaming are rising across the board... When I bought Recon Cloud, it was 3980 with earphones...  Maybe the time has come. #XBOX
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is a huge price increase, Japanese gamers really want to play Palworld and it's driving up the prices of cloud compatible Xbox controllers quite alot. 

Seems they're buying them all for their mobiles though

No surprise, mobile gaming is big in Japan.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 February 2024