By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

(FYI)

@XcloudTimdog explains why Microsoft made this decision to go third-party

- Tim has heard that Call of Duty may not be coming to game pass.

- Hardware sales have not met the projected sales and the CFO got spooked.

- In the last three months of last year, they had consoles for $350 and no one cared.

- Xbox One was more wanted than Series consoles.

- They said the hardware is dead, and they are seeing declines in hardware year over year.

- Game pass is unsustainable; the market they have is not enough to offset the cost.

- Tim heard from someone at Microsoft that you may not like Xbox when they get Activision. They want ROI.

- He heard that Xbox has an insane showcase with tons of games, but everyone is going to be saying asterisks.

- The leaks happened because a Microsoft employee who didn't want this to happen leaked it, so there would be a public outcry.

- Microsoft now has no problem buying more companies in the future if all games go to all platforms.

- Tim thinks they will go all-digital, with ads on game pass (pre-roll or at the end of a chapter e.g. Like a Dragon) and AI community managers

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 05 February 2024

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Twitter feels like Journalists + Developers vs Gamers RN.

I can see why developers would be happy about it though and why gamers would be worried about the console.

Yeah, the takes of these developers and journalists and analysts are odd to me. Like everybody already knows why Microsoft wants to go multiplatform, they want more money, and we already know why the developers support it, they want the games they create to reach a wider playerbase (who would want the game they created to be played by less people?).

The issue is the Xbox fans, nobody seems to want to explain to them how this move will benefit them in any way, shape, or form. How do you explain to the loyal fans who spent alot of $ on an Xbox console to play Xbox exclusives, that those exclusives are no longer a thing, when many of those gamers now feel like they wasted $500 on Series X or $300 on a Series S now that those games are no longer exclusive? Money they now feel would have been better spent on PC or PS5. How do you justify a move which seems like it will actually hurt the chances of 3rd party developers porting to Xbox consoles in the future (no exclusives means less hardware sales, less hardware sales means smaller playerbase, smaller playerbase means higher difficulty of seeing a return on investment on your port to Xbox), when Xbox is already the platform most in need of ports? How do you soothe those who feel cheated and burned by Microsoft due to this move?

Is Xbox going to use the money from this multiplatform move to buy hardware success next gen, either through more acquisitions (perhaps) or hatting 3rd party exclusives (doubtful)? Will they use this multiplat money to pay 3rd party developers to port to Xbox consoles (doubtful)? Or are Microsoft and gamers on other platforms really the only ones who benefit from this move, while your own loyal fanbase gets the shaft?

They spent $80-100 bn on studios, that do multiplatform games.
If they don't continue being multiplatform, their earnings (the studios they bought, drop drastically, esp if its day and date on gamepass).

Basically the debt costs, and the throwing money way, tactic (day and date on gamepass, instead)..... would add a huge financial burden on xbox, that there gameing side cannot support. 

This was a very likley outcome, when they decided to buy activision blizzard ect.
Ontop of that, they now have commitments, to make certain of these games availiable to other platforms for 11+ years anyways.

JRPGfan said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, the takes of these developers and journalists and analysts are odd to me. Like everybody already knows why Microsoft wants to go multiplatform, they want more money, and we already know why the developers support it, they want the games they create to reach a wider playerbase (who would want the game they created to be played by less people?).

The issue is the Xbox fans, nobody seems to want to explain to them how this move will benefit them in any way, shape, or form. How do you explain to the loyal fans who spent alot of $ on an Xbox console to play Xbox exclusives, that those exclusives are no longer a thing, when many of those gamers now feel like they wasted $500 on Series X or $300 on a Series S now that those games are no longer exclusive? Money they now feel would have been better spent on PC or PS5. How do you justify a move which seems like it will actually hurt the chances of 3rd party developers porting to Xbox consoles in the future (no exclusives means less hardware sales, less hardware sales means smaller playerbase, smaller playerbase means higher difficulty of seeing a return on investment on your port to Xbox), when Xbox is already the platform most in need of ports? How do you soothe those who feel cheated and burned by Microsoft due to this move?

Is Xbox going to use the money from this multiplatform move to buy hardware success next gen, either through more acquisitions (perhaps) or hatting 3rd party exclusives (doubtful)? Will they use this multiplat money to pay 3rd party developers to port to Xbox consoles (doubtful)? Or are Microsoft and gamers on other platforms really the only ones who benefit from this move, while your own loyal fanbase gets the shaft?

They spent $80-100 bn on studios, that do multiplatform games.
If they don't continue being multiplatform, their earnings (the studios they bought, drop drastically, esp if its day and date on gamepass).

Basically the debt costs, and the throwing money way, tactic (day and date on gamepass, instead)..... would add a huge financial burden on xbox, that there gameing side cannot support. 

This was a very likley outcome, when they decided to buy activision blizzard ect.
Ontop of that, they now have commitments, to make certain of these games availiable to other platforms for 11+ years anyways.

None of that answers the question though, how does Xbox exclusives going multiplatform benefit the loyal fans who spent $500 on a console in order to play exclusives, that now will no longer have those exclusives? How are they supposed to not feel cheated by this move?

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 05 February 2024

Jim Ryan laughing right now.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

I remember 2016ish when they announced games day one on PC. Overall the vibe was great, games will sell more and it will lead to better and more games.

But sadly it didn't, having Gears, Sea of thieves or Halo on PC did not really increase the quality or frequency of games.... It is literally February and still no First party Release...

Also they can't handle their studios, so many seem to be just working on projects while not really releasing them or taking a long time because well they can...

Example in 2018 they announced on stage...

We bought Playground studios and they are working on a new game 'Fable still not released'

Undead labs!! 'Still not released State of Decay 3'

Ninja Theory 'Still not released Hellblade II'

Compulsion Games; 'Still not released their next game'

The initiative 'Still not released Perfect Dark'.

Anyway now we will see less reason to make games for the Xbox ecosystem and it will cost money,

Around the Network

- They are aware of the vocal feedback around combat [impact]; it's something they already know about and are actively working on. The footage shown in the Developer_Direct was already weeks behind what was the current build (at the time of filming).

- Players will find themselves one foot between a grounded political story and a metaphysical story about gods and souls

- There will be things to find in the environment (Cohh's question was targeted around loot, environmental storytelling, notes etc.)

- Classless system but skill trees will allow for speccing into more traditional 'archetypes' if a player wants

- Companion skill trees are locked to a specific archetype, but will allow for variations

- Different enemy attacks can impact the player (knockdown, push, unblockable etc.)

- Not discussing endings or NG+ at this time

- Some character creation decisions will have mechanical and roleplay impacts

- Scope is similar to The Outer Worlds (question was about playtime, critical path vs. 100% completion)

- Weapon upgrade system (not mandatory, but recommended) - Party camp will follow you through the game (no base building)

- Similar difficulty options in their previous games (story time, path of the damned)

- Grimoire magic still in the game, just wasn't shown at the direct (can also dual wield grimoire + wand for quick magic and powerful spells)

- Can't speak much about the stat system, but the general idea is they don't want a system that corners players into potential bad decisions. Want to present a fun set of options for the player.

- Can't speak much on bosses yet, but the idea around combat encounters is to present a variety of enemies that will challenge the player and not make them feel too complacent with sticking to one play style. Want to encourage swapping weapon sets.

- Playing PoE 1 and 2 are not required to understand what's going on

- No mini-games

- Day and Night system is there, but doesn't affect gameplay

- No mounts, some combat abilities affect movement (charge, etc.)

- Tease about some gear can affect things like movement

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some things I like there (deeper RPG mechanics are present; weightier feel to combat animations already in the works), and some things I'd don't like quite as much (playtime similar to The Outer World's which was pretty short for a modern RPG, just 13 hours for main story and 40 hours for 100% completion of the game; no minigames; no mounts) 

More Importantly, what happens to Vert/Green Heart in the Neptunia games? I'm shaking rn

Avowed is day 1 for me ……on PS 👀

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

I asked ChatGPT to foretell the future. Here it is. Here's the announcement.

"Good afternoon, Xbox community,

Today, I come to you with some significant news that reflects our commitment to gaming inclusivity and the evolving landscape of entertainment. At Xbox, we've always believed in the power of gaming to unite players across platforms, to spark imagination, and to create memorable experiences.

In line with these beliefs, I'm excited to announce a new chapter for Xbox gaming. In the near future, our games will be expanding beyond the Xbox ecosystem and onto other consoles. This decision marks a pivotal moment for us as we embrace a more open approach to gaming, one that fosters collaboration and accessibility across different platforms.

Now, I understand that this announcement may raise questions and perhaps even some concerns among our loyal Xbox console purchasers. Rest assured, your support and dedication to the Xbox brand are deeply valued and appreciated. While our games will be available on other consoles, I want to emphasize that Xbox console owners will continue to receive the best possible gaming experience.

We remain committed to delivering top-tier performance, exclusive features, and innovative gameplay elements that showcase the true potential of Xbox hardware. Whether it's the breathtaking visuals of our flagship titles or the seamless integration of Xbox Live services, we're dedicated to ensuring that Xbox console owners receive nothing short of excellence.

Moreover, our commitment to the Xbox community extends beyond hardware specifications and exclusivity. We're committed to fostering a vibrant and inclusive gaming environment where players can connect, create, and share experiences together, regardless of the platform they choose to play on.

In closing, I want to express my gratitude to each and every one of you who have made Xbox a cornerstone of your gaming journey. Your passion, feedback, and support continue to drive us forward as we embark on this new chapter of gaming evolution.

Thank you for your unwavering dedication to Xbox, and I look forward to sharing more exciting updates with you in the days to come."

Jason Schrier seems to be backing up what I've seen other people say, that it will be addressed today. It could be an unrelated tweet but very unfortunate timing if it is lol. So hopefully all the speculation can end soon, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are purposefully vague in some aspects to try and placate certain areas of the fanbase by not showing the true extent of their plans right away.

I wonder if Xbox is hoping their motto "When everybody plays, we all win." Had worked better at preparing people for this news.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 05 February 2024

Oh well, if these rumours are true then it's the end of my gamertag, gp sub etc. Probably I'll buy a PC one day or focus more on other things than gaming. We'll see.