By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:
VersusEvil said:

You’re probably better off just buying the Xbox Series X2 console in 2026. 

Eh, the way things are going I doubt that. PC seems to be getting virtually all PS and Xbox exclusives now, which effectively means I can avoid needing to buy 2 consoles and save alot of money over buying what will likely be the first $600 Xbox console in 2026 due to inflation and Xbox's need to have specs high enough to compete with a PS6 that may be launching 2 years later, and then the PS6 for $400 or something on a slim model later in the generation. Better to take that same $1000 and put it into a PC that allows me to play so-called "exclusives" from both premium console makes, while also not paying for multiplayer and saving money with Steam frequent good sales.

I also really like the idea of modding games which you just can't do on Xbox except for Bethesda games post-launch. I've already seen so many good Baldur's Gate 3 mods which is a big part of why I want to upgrade my PC now, so I can play BG3 modded. Also my PC is now 9 years old and so slow it sometimes locks up when just browsing the web or streaming a show or movie.

Get on it bro. PC is where its at. But honestly i would pay the extra for better specs. Trust me when you go to PC its where your going to be doing most of your gaming. If it was me id make sure my gaming PC was going to be good or just wait another year and then upgrade when you can.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
shikamaru317 said:

Well, I think I have settled on the specs for my PC upgrade now. Don't have a huge budget, but I think I can manage to pull off:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4500

RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3600

SSD: 1 TB PCIe Gen 3

GPU: Intel Arc A580

Such a system would be roughly capable of PS5 tier performance (in all areas except for load times), while costing me around $400 since I will be reusing my case and power supply and windows install from my old build. The riskiest part by far is that Intel GPU, Intel is new to the GPU game and have struggled with drivers, struggled with performance on older DirectX 9 games, and struggled with convincing developers to use their DLSS/FSR competitor XeSS, but Intel has been putting in alot of work to fix their driver and DX 9 issues over the last year since they entered the GPU market, and they have the money to be able to afford to drive higher marketshare, which in turn will improve XeSS support for future games. I think going with Intel for my GPU may be worth the risk since the A580, when properly utilized, outperforms every other sub-$200 GPU by quite some considerable margin, the similarly priced Nvidia GeForce 1660 S, 1660ti, 3050 and AMD RX 5600 XT don't even come close to touching it's performance in games where it is properly utilized, you need to pay about $50 more for a RX 6600 to match it while Nvidia's cheapest card that matches or exceeds it is like $90 (Nvidia badly needs to get the 4050 out asap and price it lower than $200). AMD and Nvidia both have really dropped the ball when it comes to low end GPU's in recent generations, just about every GPU both have released in the last 3 years or so has been a $200+ part, they left the sub-$200 market largely uncovered for Intel to swoop in with better performing GPU's than their older generation sub-$200 offerings.

Looking forward to joining the ranks of the PC master race, where multiplayer is free, Steam sales are often and have big discounts, modding is fairly easy, and we get ports of just about every game in existence.

This build seems a bit too....underpowered for a gaming computer in 2024.

Also I wouldnt recommend going intel for GPU - if price is the issue, go with AMD otherwise Nvidia.

16 GB is bare minimum these days and as time goes, 32 GB is gonna become norm.

Also one drive storage isnt really viable nowadays especially if you plan to use your computer for more than PC gaming. Having a secondary drive (mainly a HDD) would be a good way to go.

The build you specified would have been good....back in 2020 or 2021.

But I'm assuming you want to keep your build for at least 5 years before the next upgrade?

------

I'm planning to get a new rig either late 2024 or early 2025 depending on the deals (and I'm going for pre-build).

My current PC from 2019 has

-CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
-GPU: RX 580 (8 GB)
-RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz
-SSD: 256 GB
-HDD: 2 TB

Got the computer for like $650 and I upgraded my RAM for an additional $80 from a 8 GB

I used to 10 year upgrades but my financial situation is better than it was a decade ago so I'm planning to do ones every 5 years.

----

For my future build, I havent decided which exact parts to get but I have a outline in what I want to get

GPU: Nvidia preferred
RAM: 32 GB
SSD: 1 TB
HDD: 2 TB

My budget is a bit higher but I'm hoping to stay within the $900 to $1,200 range.

Also I plan to re-use my current gaming desktop as my new general PC for video rendering , etc

Gonna use my current general PC (which is also a gaming computer but with lower specs than my main gaming PC lol) for just to do general stuff like paying bills, etc.

---

I'm still planning to buy the next Xbox providing b/c still applies. b/c is the main reason why I bought an Xbox.

You really need 3 PC's to do that?. Everything your talking about there can be done on your new pc. Fuck dude i always said it between buying the same games over and over again etc your crazy

zero129 said:

You really need 3 PC's to do that?. Everything your talking about there can be done on your new pc. Fuck dude i always said it between buying the same games over and over again etc your crazy

2 PCs actually.

And nah, I dont want to mix up usage with the same computer, less issues doing that and increases longevity (doing this , all my devices have lasted for 10+ years). Having a computer for each dedicated heavy usage reason is the way to go if you can afford it. Multitask, longevity, etc.

My gaming PC I only use for gaming and nothing else, dont even open up the browser at all.

I only have games installed and it runs games only.

My general PC is for email, paying bills, and rendering video etc.

But having a third PC would be nice so I can dedicate it for video rendering because video rendering takes up a lot of CPU/RAM usage so using it while playing a game or for general use isnt a good idea.

Edit: Actually going over what I have in total...

Gaming Desktop - for gaming only

General Desktop - for general use only and video rendering

Media Center Desktop/Plex server (refurb) - for streaming music and movies I have to my phone or tablet only

Streaming laptop (refurb) - for when I watch anime or a TV show while working out only

I have a gaming laptop from 2014 but I dont use it anymore. I was going to get a new gaming laptop but I decided not to because I dont have a good reason to buy a gaming laptop anymore.

When it comes to portable gaming, I have my iPhone (for gaming and non-gaming purposes) and I have my Switch.

Other than that, I dont have a reason to buy myself a laptop.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 10 January 2024

VersusEvil said:
zero129 said:

This has to be sarcasm right? O_o 

Welcome back. 

Who said i was going to leave .

Around the Network

Looking forward to seeing Indiana Jones. I'd love it if it was modeled in the vain of the recent AAA Tomb Raider games as I quite enjoyed all three games. Not wanting an exact clone of course!

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Where are all you guys from? EU, UK, US etc?

PixelPirate said:

Where are all you guys from? EU, UK, US etc?

Wouldn't you like to know! lol jk I’m from the US in Texas  

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 11 January 2024

PixelPirate said:
Machiavellian said:

Why would Xbox hardware make or break MS if they are hardware agnostic. If that was the case MS would be losing hand and fist today but the company still makes a pretty good profit.  MS does not need Xbox hardware for streaming because just about everything can stream, from your TV, Phone, other consoles, tablets you name it.  Actually I see the same amount of developers skipping Xbox as they always have.  I also see a lot of developers still putting their games on GP.  Maybe we do not see the market the same.

Microsoft needs hardware (with xbox series x chips / azure) to stream. I can only stream games to my tv if somewhere in the world a server or whatever is actually running the game. A game still has to be made for a platform, whether this is Xbox architecture or PC is still relevant. If Xbox hardware sales keeps declining, this would eventually mean less Xbox titles and therefore limiting GamePass titles. Unless the future is streaming xcloud based gamepass PC titles, they will need Xbox-like hardware.

Edit: so far cloud streaming still seems to be very niche. Maybe in 5 - 10 years this will be more serious.

Edit 2: As Klobrille and Jez also point out, if Xbox kills their hardware, my digital xbox game library will be worthless. I can't just take my Xbox library to PC or cloud which is a great concern to me and other people invested into the ecosystem.

I guess we are going to have to disagree with this one.  While MS will continue to make Xbox hardware just like they continue to make surface PC, its not going to be their main focus.  MS main focus is Gamepass and it is a agnostic service when it comes to hardware.

Not sure why you are talking about cloud streaming.  MS moved focus away from that a while ago.  The big money is in mobile because currently people spend the majority of their time there.  You only have to look at King for ABK and see by themselves they are more than half of ABK revenue.  Even still if cloud takes off in 5 to 10 years MS will also be in position to take advantage of it since they have probably the 2nd most servers across the world.

I really do not care about what Klobrille and Jez say because I feel they have no clue of MS direction or understand their business model.  The thing is as I stated we have been down this road before when MS decided to publish all their first and 2nd party games on PC.  People always make big deals over stuff that really have no real impact on what the company is looking to do.  Crying over a few games going to switch and PS is just another example of people crying over something that as I see it will be nothing in the future.  If MS fully goes multiplat then we will have a different discussion but I doubt that as well.  I just see moving particular games to broader markets than anything else.