By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Microsoft seems to be much more focused on profits over hardware sold. If they wanted to sell hardware, they wouldn't have PC or Cloud Gamepass, nor would they buy a massive multiplatform Acti/Blizzard that's makes tons of profits selling on other hardware, nor would they have been interested in buying King. And if they can price Xbox's at a profitable point so they aren't selling for a loss, they will do that I think. It's all about profits.

I don't think they view the Xbox platform as a primary revenue stream. I think they are simply offering it to those who want it in order to increase profits. If people want to play Microsoft Studios games on PC, mobile, TV, or Nintendo devices, so be it.

Microsoft has found a way to profit. Nintendo had found a way to profit. The console wars are dead. Long live the profit wars.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
Machiavellian said:

I believe you are way to concentrated on western creators.  There are a ton of very good eastern horror creators which I believe we will see a good number of them working with Kojima.

It's Kojima who is concentrated on western creators. He straight up came to TGA's to brag about working with Jordan Peele! Lmao. Also he has been jerking off Del Toro for the past 10 years, another western creator. Death Stranding is choke full of western stars. He loves these big name western film/tv stars and creatives. But I do agree that there is a lot of good eastern horror creatives, I did mention that Junji Ito could be working with Kojima but Kojima definitely has a preference of late towards working with western stars and creators.

In retrospect I agree that Kojima seems to like to use more western actors but then again his games seem to have a better reception in western audience.  I would like for him to use more eastern creators as there are some out there with some off the wall and truly out there horror work.  I believe Junji Ito is definite a good choice and he has a bit of a name which is something Kojima likes as well.

Kojima is the biggest western cowboy wannabe in the industry.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Dulfite said:

Microsoft seems to be much more focused on profits over hardware sold. If they wanted to sell hardware, they wouldn't have PC or Cloud Gamepass, nor would they buy a massive multiplatform Acti/Blizzard that's makes tons of profits selling on other hardware, nor would they have been interested in buying King. And if they can price Xbox's at a profitable point so they aren't selling for a loss, they will do that I think. It's all about profits.

I don't think they view the Xbox platform as a primary revenue stream. I think they are simply offering it to those who want it in order to increase profits. If people want to play Microsoft Studios games on PC, mobile, TV, or Nintendo devices, so be it.

Microsoft has found a way to profit. Nintendo had found a way to profit. The console wars are dead. Long live the profit wars.

No its not that MS care more about profits more than hardware, its that MS is primarily a service company not a hardware company.  While they dabble in hardware, their strength is services and software.  GP is exactly the type of service that directly takes advantage of their strength and picking up ABK which has games that are on all platforms also takes advantage of MS strength as well.

Its not always about profit but instead taking advantage of your advantages in business.

Which means that MS will take direct hardware losses in the short term (as they see it) to gain an advantage on games, services and eco system for the long term.  Hardware is still a big step in this as it will not just be regulated to console or even PC but also handhelds and mobile phones.  The thing is, what drives hardware sales.  Its not the hardware it has always been the software.  You have enough big hitting software and it will always solve your hardware issues.

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 15 December 2023

Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

It's Kojima who is concentrated on western creators. He straight up came to TGA's to brag about working with Jordan Peele! Lmao. Also he has been jerking off Del Toro for the past 10 years, another western creator. Death Stranding is choke full of western stars. He loves these big name western film/tv stars and creatives. But I do agree that there is a lot of good eastern horror creatives, I did mention that Junji Ito could be working with Kojima but Kojima definitely has a preference of late towards working with western stars and creators.

In retrospect I agree that Kojima seems to like to use more western actors but then again his games seem to have a better reception in western audience.  I would like for him to use more eastern creators as there are some out there with some off the wall and truly out there horror work.  I believe Junji Ito is definite a good choice and he has a bit of a name which is something Kojima likes as well.

Yeah, I would like to see it too, but I think Kojima doesn't make no secret of the fact that he wants Hollywood validation and his ultimate goal is to make films for Hollywood. He's a Hollywood fanboy and wants to be friends with Hollywood stars. Since MGSV he has plastered his games with Hollywood actors, creatives, etc. Now he gets part of his dream with A24 making a Death Stranding film.

I struggle to think of Kojima elevating many local industry folk Tbh.

Junji would be great and there's a lot of great Korean filmmakers too.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

I can only somewhat agree. Xbox Hardware users generate money because of the digital store and gamepass subscriptions. And if less and less people buy Xbox hardware, third-party developers will start skipping Xbox. As long as it doesn't come to that, I'm hopeful.

Ryuu96 said:
Machiavellian said:

Yeah, I would like to see it too, but I think Kojima doesn't make no secret of the fact that he wants Hollywood validation and his ultimate goal is to make films for Hollywood. He's a Hollywood fanboy and wants to be friends with Hollywood stars. Since MGSV he has plastered his games with Hollywood actors, creatives, etc. Now he gets part of his dream with A24 making a Death Stranding film.

I struggle to think of Kojima elevating many local industry folk Tbh.

Junji would be great and there's a lot of great Korean filmmakers too.

I have to agree, once you painted that picture for me I forgot how much a fan boy Kojima is for Hollywood validation.  Yeah, I really hope this OD grabs a number of industry folks outside of western core he likes to use but as you say, probably not.

PixelPirate said:
Dulfite said:

I can only somewhat agree. Xbox Hardware users generate money because of the digital store and gamepass subscriptions. And if less and less people buy Xbox hardware, third-party developers will start skipping Xbox. As long as it doesn't come to that, I'm hopeful.

Less people are buying Xbox's because you can play the games on PC, your phone, or your Samsung tv. Many Blizzard and Activision games will be available even on Nintendo/Sony devices. They are "selling" their product just fine, just not in a way that we are used to analyzing.

And yeah, I suppose Xbox consoles could sell so few that AAA third party games stop coming to it, but they'd have to sell Wii U/GameCube level to get to that point, I think.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.