By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Tango interview from Xbox Wire is great.

At the time I heard about Hi-Fi Rush being submitted amongst other concepts, I thought that this was the one that Tango would not choose. I thought it was a joke and I was surprised that it got chosen [laughs]. When that happened, I learned that I need to be humble. Because as Nakamura-San and John started to work on it — I could see them working hard on it – I learned that it was not a joke, and this is something that [needed] to be taken seriously.

I didn’t really create the team. It was just the people who were available. And all the people who were available had literally no experience making a game like this. So, it’s not like, “I’m going to need him, and him, and him because they know how to do this and this and they’re going to make it happen.” It was, “Here’s what we want to do,” and everyone’s like, ‘I have no idea how to do this.’ Most of the first reactions were, “We don’t know how to do this; this is totally impossible.”

John and Nakamura-san were [the only] two people working on it and everybody else in the studio was working on Ghostwire: Tokyo, myself included. I was asked to help on it when I had time available, kind of like a part-time thing; to help when you can. But as we started seeing John and Nakamura-san iterating on their work, and being very creative, and seeing how they were improving on what they’d been creating, people tended to gravitate toward that creative excitement. The strength of the creativity there helped bring in a lot of people.

The core of the game is rhythm action. But as I talked to John initially — and John was very passionate about the rhythm action portion of the game — I was saying stuff like, “No, you must choose between rhythm or action. You can’t have both.” John kept saying, “It’s not one or the other, both are important,” and everybody said, “You must choose one,” and he’s like, “No, no, no, no, no, no.” It took a while before we were able to understand what he was really going after, but once we saw it, it dawned on us that John’s sensibilities to capture that so early on, in something that might be fun, was pretty amazing.

He’s really the type of guy that didn’t want to bend his core vision. And I could tell by listening and watching him talk to other people, and others would come to him with ideas, and sometimes those ideas would help that for vision; sometimes they wouldn’t. But he would listen, and I would see him struggling internally, trying to find ways to make it so that those other ideas could still live without having to change that core vision.

There was a department head in Hi-Fi Rush that really fits this description. One could say that John was kind of like Zanzo (laughs).

Some people might take that as stubborn. Others might take that as somebody who’s confident with his vision, who wants to realize that vision. And I felt like I could trust him a lot more because I saw him do that. Here was something that he was willing to really stick to his guns to, that he strongly believed in, and that was something that I wanted to support. So that was how our relationship kind of grew to becoming a very trusting relationship.

Everybody was inspired by the good work of each other. And that good synergy was there; we all wanted to make a good, awesome game. Because of that love and desire, we could see what John was trying to achieve. If he came to the table with something that was too large to achieve, we would be able to take that essence of what he was thinking and create a counterproposal to what he was trying to do and find ways to still get what he wants, but in a more manageable way.

-

What a team to put together such a brilliant title with so little experience on this type of game.

Good on John for sticking to his vision.

If I see the 20th Resident Evil 4 Remaster/Remake in GOTY instead of Hi-Fi Rush...

Around the Network

Forza Motorsport on Xbox Series X/S: The Digital Foundry Tech Review - YouTube

Forza scores are a bit lower than expected but still great overall. They tried with the Car RPG leveling, but it's still needs some tuning. What they need to do is let player unlock any new part with each level which is an easy update fix. Less tracks and cars than Forza 7, but every car is actually unique and not just a rehash. New tracks and cars will be added monthly.
Other than that, it seems to be the best Forza Motorsport in every other way. It's more sim than previous titles, and has mucb better online racing.
Any reviewer trying to compare this to Horizon shouldn't be taken seriously in any way.

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 04 October 2023

Tried Darktide last night. It looks amazing and performance is very solid. Only played through the intro sequence so hopefully the rest of it holds up.

Around the Network

Nextgeneration said:

For those wondering Starfield's impact on the Xbox ecosystem (specifically consoles and Game Pass subs), we do have monthly Amazon US video game sales rankings that we can use to gauge this. Obviously, this doesn't give us the full picture, since it's just Amazon US only and no actual number of units sold are included, but hey, this is better than nothing! :)

Month1 month gpu amazon sales rankings3 month gpu amazon sales rankingsSeries X
Jan 2023154874
Feb 2023155048 (forza bundle) / 89 (standard sku)
Mar 2023194476
Apr 2023235295
May 2023339350
June 2023103590
July 2023143153
Aug 2023122725
Sept 2023841019

Year1 month gpu amazon sales rankings3 month gpu amazon sales rankings
202097didn't chart in top 100

Some notes:
- 3 month GPU finished at #10 for September, the highest rank it's ever been for the entire year. It very well could have ranked even higher because Amazon ran out of stock for approximately 1 entire week during the month.
- 1 month GPU finished at #84 because Amazon ran out of stock less than one week into the month and still hasn't restocked as of today.
- Series X has been steadily climbing in rankings since June.
- June was the showcase, which explains the spike in Game Pass subs that month.
- GPU has been steadily rising in rankings on a yearly basis since 2020.

Looking forward:
- Not sure what's going on with the 1 month GPU stock availability on Amazon, as it's been nearly 1 entire month and they still have yet to restock this.
- I expect Series X and 3 month GPU to most likely finish lower in rankings this month, based on their current placement right now on the daily rankings. Series X is currently at #35 on the daily rankings and 3 month GPU is at #19.

Ryuu96 said:

"What if humans are the real monsters?"

coolbeans said:
Ryuu96 said:

"What if humans are the real monsters?"

I remember Cliff's wild idea for Gears 4 was Sera exploding, then it cuts to (I assume millions of years later) and we see a spaceman's boot and hear "That's one small step for man" and it is revealed that Sera is now our Moon and Sera's Moon is now Earth

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 04 October 2023