By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

Any word on mods?

Not yet. Fallout 4 got console mod support 6 months after release in May 2016. Hopefully Starfield gets console mod support faster than that.

I hope that Larian does a better job on the Series X port of Baldur's Gate 3 than they did on PS5. From what I'm reading, the PS5 Port of BG3 is bit of a mess right now. Framerate drops as low as 27 fps on performance mode and 25 fps on quality mode, pretty long 43 second load time on PS5's fast SSD, a bug with audio completely cutting out if you have 3D audio turned on, some kind of HDR graphical bug. Hopefully the game will be in a better shape in a couple of months when it lands on Xbox.

People are insane if they actually think this is a good idea. Half the people at Bethesda likely have zero Unreal Engine experience, as many of them that work there have spent their entire game development career at Bethesda. Then there is the fact that you would lose a crapton of modding if you switched to Unreal Engine, Creation Engine and it's predecessor Gamebryo are the most mod friendly engines on the planet, while Unreal Engine is one of the least mod friendly. Here are the top games on Nexus ranked by number of mods available, with the engine each game uses in parenthesis:

1. Skyrim (Creation Engine)
  2. Skyrim Special Edition (Creation)
  3. Fallout 4 (Creation)
  4. Oblivion (Gamebryo)
  5. Fallout New Vegas (Gamebryo)
  6. Fallout 3 (Gamebryo)
  7. Stardew Valley (custom engine built using Microsoft's XNA framework and C++)
  8. Morrowind (Gamebryo)
  9. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Frostbite 3.0)
  10. Cyberpunk 2077 (Red Engine 4)
  11. Blade & Sorcery Nomad (Unity)
  12. Witcher 3 (Red 3)
  13. Monster Hunter World (RE Engine)
  14. Mount & Blade 2 (custom engine)
  15. Marvel's Spider Man (custom engine)
  16. Dragon Age Origins (Eclipse engine)
  17. Elden Ring (modified Phyre Engine)
  18. 7 Days to Die (Unity)
  19. Dragon Age Inquisition (Frostbite 3.0)
  20. Devil May Cry 5 (RE Engine)
  21. Blade & Sorcery (Unity)
  22. Monster Hunter Rise (RE Engine)
  23. Ready or Not (Unreal Engine 4)

Yes, that is correct, there are 22 games with more mods available than the Unreal Engine game with the most mods. Ready or Not has 2.3k mods, Skyrim at #1 has 69.5k mods, while the Bethesda singleplayer game with the least mods, Morrowind, has 11k mods. Even Frostbite Engine, which is notoriously difficult to work with, has proven to be a more mod friendly engine than Unreal, with 6.9k mods available for Star Wars Battlefront 2, 3x more mods than the Unreal Engine game with the most mods.

*Bethesda Releases Their Biggest, Most Polished, Beautiful, Least Buggy Title Ever Which Actually Has Good Gameplay Too*

Clueless Gamers: "SWITCH TO UNREAL ENGINE BECAUSE LOADING SCREENS"

I'm assuming it's because loading screens? Lmao. One of the most annoying things today is gamers screaming at every developer on the planet to switch to Unreal Engine the moment there's one specific problem with a videogame while ignoring the countless of other benefits of the internal engine and ignoring the countless of broken Unreal Engine titles as well, they scream for Epic to have an engine monopoly because apparently Unreal Engine is 100% perfect and there's absolutely zero issues at all with it unlike some other engines, Unreal Engine can do absolutely everything.

Nah...Like John said, an Unreal Engine 4/5 Starfield may have been full with issues, not to mention shitty mod support and the loss of multiple features which makes a Bethesda title, a Bethesda title such as the physic systems, the item save states, etc. Bethesda's worlds are some of the most dense and alive for open world RPGs and it's in part thanks to the engine. What's more, you can't just copy and paste an engine over, Bethesda would have to literally rebuild everything for Unreal Engine, Starfield would be delayed by years at a minimum, as would Elder Scrolls.

So no, I hope they never switch to Unreal Engine, anyone who is asking for that doesn't understand game development at all. Creation Engine 2 is a huge step up from Creation Engine 1 in multiple aspects, I hope for Elder Scrolls VI they continue these iterative improvements to Creation Engine. The next thing I hope they improve on is the loading screens, but Elder Scrolls will naturally be a smaller but denser world than Starfield so it's possible it won't even be a worry for The Elder Scrolls VI.

Reminder that Josh Sawyer (an actual developer who knows what he is talking about) spoke about this as well and said how Unreal Engine is traditionally bad for open worlds, it's a lot easier to create open worlds in his experience on Creation Engine because they split the world parts into cells, something which Unreal Engine has only caught up on with Unreal Engine 5 and remains to be seen how effective it is. We literally just had a Unreal Engine 5 title which runs in 720p on Xbox Series X and PS5...

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 03 September 2023

Around the Network

Just popping in to say Starfield is the tits. I haven't had time to really dive in and get immersed yet but I have the next three days off of work so it's gonna happen.

I'm impressed with how improved the gunplay is from older BGS titles. But I always do melee on my first playthrough of their titles, doing the same here.

Made it to Akila City today, really digging the Firefly aesthetic they have going on in this town, it's more space western while the United Colonies capital of New Atlantis feels more Starfleet Headquarters in San Francisco from Star Trek by comparison.

Just got the Penthouse for completing United Colonies questline, now I'm going to spend hours decorating my house

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 03 September 2023

Ryuu96 said:
yo_john117 said:

After years of just lurking and not posting on this website, I just came here to say that I'm so excited to play Starfield. Was able to play a bit yesterday (really only got through the character creation LOL ) and hoping to be able to play tonight when the kids are in bed!

Also, that IGN review was a joke IMO. A much better, more thoughtful review came from ACG on YouTube.

Damn. Welcome Back!

Temporarily?

LOL, well now that I can actually log in again, I'll probably be back for good, just not very active. Besides, you have two fantastic threads that I really like following (this one and the Ukraine Flashpoint Thread). Amazing job on both of them, your contributions are very much appreciated!

Hmm. How do I get better furniture? Is it one of the skills? There's a double bed but it's kind of ugly with a boring wooden frame. They should have added a furniture store, Lol.

Man I haven't even touched outpost building yet, or ship building. There are so many skills that I want that I'm almost definitely going to be doing another playthrough, I see some people saying they're on a 3rd/4th NG+ already, Lol.