By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/92896/embracer-will-cancel-games-and-close-more-studios-to-save-costs/index.html

Well, this is worrisome. Hopefully they will just be closing some of the many tiny, relatively unknown studios they own, and not any of the more well known ones they own like Crystal, Eidos, Gearbox, Tarsier, Saber, Coffee Stain, Cryptic, Volition, Dambuster, Fishlabs, Free Radical, Flying Wild Hog, Warhorse, 4A, New World, or Black Forest.

Yeah.  It kinda sucks too given their recent conference held some promise.  Not mind-melting or anything, but still a solid flex for a middle-market publisher.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/92896/embracer-will-cancel-games-and-close-more-studios-to-save-costs/index.html

Well, this is worrisome. Hopefully they will just be closing some of the many tiny, relatively unknown studios they own, and not any of the more well known ones they own like Crystal, Eidos, Gearbox, Tarsier, Saber, Coffee Stain, Cryptic, Volition, Dambuster, Fishlabs, Free Radical, Flying Wild Hog, Warhorse, 4A, New World, or Black Forest.

Sucks to see anyone laid off but I don't think you have to worry about a lot of those, Embracer will likely (Imo) close a bunch of their small A-AA studios and focus on their big ones which bring in millions already and focus on the AAA stuff.

Crystal Dynamics will be fine, one half of them are being funded by Microsoft, the other half is being funded by Amazon, Embracer will make quite a nice amount of cash from them. Eidos is probably in a more riskier spot since their IPs are never that huge but there was rumours that Microsoft is also co-developing things with Eidos as well.

Gearbox will absolutely be fine, they're almost certainly self-sufficient by a huge margin, plus Take-Two remains the publisher of Borderlands. Tarsier Idk. Sabre studio be fine as a huge support studio. Coffee Stain should be fine. Cryptic Idk. Volition...Probably in trouble. Dambuster will be fine given the success of Dead Island 2. Fishlabs Idk. Free Radical Idk. Flying Wild Hog...Fine? Warhorse should be fine. 4A should be fine. New World Idk and Black Forest Idk.

coolbeans said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah.  It kinda sucks too given their recent conference held some promise.  Not mind-melting or anything, but still a solid flex for a middle-market publisher.

The Saudi's really fucked them, I hope it gives other developers pause when choosing to work with Saudi Arabia or get funding from them but then again, Embracer really shouldn't have just accepted a verbal agreement, that's amateur shit. They should have had it down in writing before making any moves.

When people speculated it was Microsoft there was a bit of pushback by some who know how Microsoft operates saying they'd never do a verbal agreement like that, they'd make sure that shit is in firm writing first so it just makes this whole situation look a bit amateur on both sides but only Embracer Group will suffer from it.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 18 August 2023

-Snip-

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 19 August 2023

Cmon brah, spoiler tag this shit smh.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

VersusEvil said:

Cmon brah, spoiler tag this shit smh.

I removed the actual spoilers, Lol.

In general impressions never get spoiler tagged though...This is just like a preview...Except from reviewers who can't follow NDAs

Around the Network

Onto my last game before Starfield with Gylt, the once Stadia exclusive by RiME developers. It’s ait I s’pose, plays like a janky steam game, surprised this is the same dev that made RiME or as I call it after screwing my cheevs … CRiME.

Last edited by VersusEvil - on 18 August 2023

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

EpicRandy said:
Imaginedvl said:

So this is really different from one company to another (I'm working in software development since 20+ years now :)).

They all have different branching and versioning strategies obviously but overall; it looks the same. Again, there is no "template" or unique way to do it but at the end, it is quite equivalent.

What you are showing here is the branching strategy, basically how things are being produced, when are they merge to the main branch (trunk) and so on for each bug fixes, new features, etc... As you never want to have developers coding directly in the production branch, it would be really bad :D 

They are 2 ways to do that tho, either your trunk is the main production branch, or (and I think that what BGS is doing), there is a branch created for each version (1.6.35) from the trunk at a specific time. So in your diagram it would add another row on top with one dot for each of those build (and those would not move in time, maybe some hotfix would be backported from trunk but this should be very exceptional)

Now when we talk about the version number, it can be related or not. But usually. The first number is the 'major version', the second is the 'minor version', the third one, is the branch version and the last one is usually the "build number". 

Looking at it quickly, in that case I would assume that 1 is the major version, 6 the minor version (and this goes up whenever they decide to, it maybe be when they add a new feature, or when a sprint is over, etc) and the 35 would probably be the official build number. 

Internally they definitely have more build obviously but this probably the official build handed over to QA (and us). 

Yes, I also have been working in software development for 12 years in my case. I've seen many branching strategies being tried in various projects some work better than others depending on the context.

e.g. A web app may be treated differently than desktop software because you have more leeway to do as much release as you want. in video game releases cause users to download the new version so 'Hotfixes' on the released version would likely be avoided and the branching strategy will likely be adjusted so that the main branch acts as QA-ready and not an actual released version representation. You will still likely release from the main branch but specific tag instead of the latest revision.

Hehehe yeah this discussion is exactly why I started with the disclaimer that it varies between teams (and sometimes even projects) and also didn't get into branching/merging strategies. Keeping it high level for the general audience here. Good to see fellow software folks though :) (been in some form of professional software development for about 18 years now). 

-Snip-

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 19 August 2023

VersusEvil said:

Already got Xeetter blacklisted and my YT watch history wiped (so no Starfield in my feed hopefully) so I’m not worried.

Thanks for reminding me. I'll already be avoiding YouTube's home page and just watching videos straight from notifications, but their braindead algorithm can still get you through the sidebar thumbnails so better safe than sorry.