By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:
Barozi said:

Idk why some people claim such a thing. It's ridiculous.

The Switch is somewhere between WiiU and Xbox One in power and yet gets ports of pretty much every game out there. Yeah the results are often times pretty bad and they're obviously not even on the level of Xbox One but they exist. Therefore, I don't see how Series S could hold anything back. Every game will be playable on it, even if it's sub 720p with sub 30 FPS (which I don't think will ever happen).

The difference between Switch and Xbox One X is IMO far bigger than the difference between Series S and Series X.

You have to realize though that the Switch rarely gets what you would consider to be a typical, scaled port. Few was the developer who even attempted to scale the same game from Switch all the way up to high-end PC. On the AAA level, scaled Switch ports are practically non-existent, almost all of them have been late ports due to a need to create new, lower than PC low quality assets for Switch. Almost all Switch ports of AAA games have been handled by porting studios rather than by the original developer, and they often take 3 quarters of a year or more to develop due to how long it takes to create lower than PC low quality textures, models, and other assets. The few AAA devs who have attempted to scale the same game from Switch all the way to high end PC, ended up holding back the more powerful consoles and PC as a result. Scaled Switch ports are more common on the AA and Single A/indie level, but no AAA dev in their right mind even tries to scale a game so that it can run on everything from the less than 300 glflop in handheld mode Switch all the way up to 30+ tflop monster PC GPU's. 

Series S won't have the same issues of scaling as Switch for sure, it will take longer into the generation for devs to begin to feel like it is holding them back, but I do think we will reach the point where scaling doesn't work properly anymore and devs will start to feel like making customized Series S ports with lower than PC low assets is a necessity. We have already reached a point where the highest end PC GPU's have 10x more flops than Series S and we are only 2 years into the generation, towards the latter half of this generation we will be seeing mid-range GPU's with more than 10x the flops of Series S, and high end with more than 20x the flops of Series S. Especially since this gen is shaping up to be 1-2 years longer than any previous console generation, Series S will be an issue for some devs later on, mark my words on that. 

You also have to take into account though that Switch hardware is massively different to PC or even Console architecture so of course it requires a unique porting/development effort, while Series X/S architecture and development environment are almost identical, and yet developers are still porting to Switch and creating high end versions of the same game elsewhere.

We've again got nothing to worry about from indies since they're all over Switch, I don't get why we need to be worried about billion-dollar publishers who more than have the capability of supporting both consoles in good ways, if they don't, that is on them, not Series S and Xbox itself with its 20+ studios will put effort into both, it's usually the case anyway that 1st parties take advantage the most of the tech.

Series X won't be held back by Series S but instead by publishers desire to do something. However, if both consoles continue to sell great, then consumers will have spoken, and publishers should listen and not put out half assed efforts for Series S or Series X. Honestly though, console hardware almost always becomes obsolete by PC hardware almost instantly after release, Lol.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

You have to realize though that the Switch rarely gets what you would consider to be a typical, scaled port. Few was the developer who even attempted to scale the same game from Switch all the way up to high-end PC. On the AAA level, scaled Switch ports are practically non-existent, almost all of them have been late ports due to a need to create new, lower than PC low quality assets for Switch. Almost all Switch ports of AAA games have been handled by porting studios rather than by the original developer, and they often take 3 quarters of a year or more to develop due to how long it takes to create lower than PC low quality textures, models, and other assets. The few AAA devs who have attempted to scale the same game from Switch all the way to high end PC, ended up holding back the more powerful consoles and PC as a result. Scaled Switch ports are more common on the AA and Single A/indie level, but no AAA dev in their right mind even tries to scale a game so that it can run on everything from the less than 300 glflop in handheld mode Switch all the way up to 30+ tflop monster PC GPU's. 

Series S won't have the same issues of scaling as Switch for sure, it will take longer into the generation for devs to begin to feel like it is holding them back, but I do think we will reach the point where scaling doesn't work properly anymore and devs will start to feel like making customized Series S ports with lower than PC low assets is a necessity. We have already reached a point where the highest end PC GPU's have 10x more flops than Series S and we are only 2 years into the generation, towards the latter half of this generation we will be seeing mid-range GPU's with more than 10x the flops of Series S, and high end with more than 20x the flops of Series S. Especially since this gen is shaping up to be 1-2 years longer than any previous console generation, Series S will be an issue for some devs later on, mark my words on that. 

You also have to take into account though that Switch hardware is massively different to PC or even Console architecture so of course it requires a unique porting/development effort, while Series X/S architecture and development environment are almost identical, and yet developers are still porting to Switch and creating high end versions of the same game elsewhere.

We've again got nothing to worry about from indies since they're all over Switch, I don't get why we need to be worried about billion-dollar publishers who more than have the capability of supporting both consoles in good ways, if they don't, that is on them, not Series S and Xbox itself with its 20+ studios will put effort into both, it's usually the case anyway that 1st parties take advantage the most of the tech.

Series X won't be held back by Series S but instead by publishers desire to do something. However, if both consoles continue to sell great, then consumers will have spoken, and publishers should listen and not put out half assed efforts for Series S or Series X. Honestly though, console hardware almost always becomes obsolete by PC hardware almost instantly after release, Lol.

That’s really what happened with the Switch. Once it was clear it was gonna be a huge success, everyone was begging publishers to make ports for the Switch. And many publishers did exactly that. How many “impossible” Switch ports have we seen? Games like The Witcher 3 and Doom 2016 and Eternal are on Switch, so if there’s the player base, publishers will answer the call. 

Hell, Crisis Core is gonna run at 4K 60fps on Series X but 720p 30fps on Switch and I don’t hear any complaints lol

gtotheunit91 said:

Hell, Crisis Core is gonna run at 4K 60fps on Series X but 720p 30fps on Switch and I don’t hear any complaints lol

Sucks that the docked and non docked modes are the same.

But at least it is still better than what the original one was on PSP.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
Ryuu96 said:

That’s really what happened with the Switch. Once it was clear it was gonna be a huge success, everyone was begging publishers to make ports for the Switch. And many publishers did exactly that. How many “impossible” Switch ports have we seen? Games like The Witcher 3 and Doom 2016 and Eternal are on Switch, so if there’s the player base, publishers will answer the call. 

Well, I don't know if I'd say many publishers. Maybe at the AA level and below, but AAA wise I feel like Switch has gotten less than 30 AAA 3rd party multiplat games over it's 5.5 years on the market so far. EA has only given it yearly FIFA and Apex Legends on the AAA level, all of their other AAA's like Madden, NHL, F1, Jedi Fallen Order, Need for Speed, Battlefield, and Anthem have skipped Switch. Activision-Blizzard has only given it Tony Hawk's 1+2 Remake and Overwatch 1 & 2 at the AAA level I believe, no CoD, Destiny 2, Sekiro, or the upcoming Diablo 4. Take-Two/2K has only given it yearly NBA 2K, all of their other AAA games like WWE 2K, Borderlands/Wonderlands, The Quarry, Mafia 3, GTA V, and RDR2 have skipped Switch. Ubisoft has only given it South Park: The Fractured But Whole and Immortals: Fenyx Rising at the AAA level I believe, the rest like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, The Division 2, The Crew 2, and the upcoming Avatar game and Skull & Bones are all skipping Switch. Warner Bros has only given it Mortal Kombat 11 at the AAA level so far, though the upcoming Hogwart's Legacy will be on Switch (though it has already been stated that it will arrive later than the other platforms), the rest like Shadow of War and Gotham Knights skipped Switch. Bethesda gave Switch Doom (2016) & Eternal, and Wolfenstein 2 & Youngblood, but pretty much the rest of their AAA's from this past gen such as Dishonored 2 and Fallout 4/76 skipped Switch. 

Even Japan wise, most of the the games that would be classified as AAA by western standards, such as Final Fantasy and Resident Evil, have been skipping Switch. As did Monster Hunter World, it has yet to get a late Switch port, they developed Monster Hunter Rise for Switch instead.

I'd not be surprised if most of those publishers aren't supporting Switch much because they think Switch's audience won't be interested in those types of games, like Japanese developers think of Xbox. A lot of those titles would be no harder to port to Switch than Witcher 3/Doom Eternal.

Meanwhile Xbox is talking up about how they want to port CoD to Switch, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 27 November 2022

Ryuu96 said:

I'd not be surprised if most of those publishers aren't supporting Switch much because they think Switch's audience won't be interested in those types of games, like Japanese developers think of Xbox. A lot of those titles would be no harder to port to Switch than Witcher 3/Doom Eternal.

Meanwhile Xbox is talking up about how they want to port CoD to Switch, Lol.

The only way it works right now is with streaming through cloud although we don’t know how powerful the Switch Successor will be. 

Questions for those who play Xbox IP on PC.

1. Do you play Xbox IP through Windows Store or Steam and if so, why?
  2. How'd you rate Xbox's efforts on Xbox App/Windows Store specifically and how can they improve?
  3. How do you think Xbox will improve from 7th or do you think it's futile and they need to get Game Pass on Steam?
Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 27 November 2022

Ryuu96 said:

Questions for those who play Xbox IP on PC.

1. Do you play Xbox IP through Windows Store or Steam and if so, why?
  2. How'd you rate Xbox's efforts on Xbox App/Windows Store specifically and how can they improve?
  3. How do you think Xbox will improve from 7th or do you think it's futile and they need to get Game Pass on Steam?
  1. I play through the Windows Store with PC Game Pass for games I'm interested in or just want to try out that I wouldn't have otherwise, but I'll actually purchase games through Steam that I want to own. 
  2. Over the past year, I'd give them an 8 out of 10. What holds them back is the store is still sluggish. Just goes to show how bad it was. They can improve by further optimizing the storefront and adding more features that would allow them to be more in competition with the likes of Steam. Such as forums and better mod support. Right now, the Xbox app is nothing more than a way to buy/play games and chat with friends. Which is great if you're on console, but on PC, Steam has spoiled us lol. Steam is an entire ecosystem and community that gives very little reason for you not to use it. Plus, it's been around for 18 years, so Xbox needs to be as close to on par with Steam in terms of features. Also, the PC versions of games on the Windows Store are just.....off. It's hard to explain, but the Steam versions of PC games just play better I'll also throw in having Play Anywhere integration added to Steam. 
  3. It's not futile. Windows Store/Xbox app automatically comes with every copy of Windows. As great as it would be for PC Game Pass to be on Steam, it would probably hinder the storefronts ability to grow because Steam users would then have an even bigger reason to never leave Steam lol. If Xbox is able to focus on getting the Store up to par with Steam, at least in a meaningful way rather than a 1:1, it would see more growth. Plus, anything else that would allow it to standout from Steam. Idk what, but Xbox coming up with something to entice Steam users that only the Windows Store/Xbox app offers. Beyond Game Pass of course lol.

Unfortunately, Windows Store will never get higher than top 5 if they don't get the games added to the storefront. You'll have quite a few, but what about the Elden Ring, Monster Hunter, GTA, Apex Legends, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy (lawlz) basically all the big games on the market that would be on Steam? That's also a huge factor. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 27 November 2022