By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Best Horror Video Games: According to IGN Voters

Halloween has officially arrived and we are here to help celebrate by presenting you with the winners of our best horror video game face-off. Not only do you now have an idea of what terrifying games you need to play for the first time or hundredth during this spooky season, but we also now know which horror game IGN's audience believes is the best of the best.

So, after 1.2 million battles with matchups like Resident Evil 4 vs. Dead Space and Silent Hill vs. P.T., which game earned the right to be called the greatest horror game of all time? Bloody drumroll please...

Full List of 122: The Best Horror Video Game Face-Off - IGN

The Best Horror Video Game: Our Face-Off Winner Revealed - IGN

Thoughts on the results? What would your top 10 be?

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 01 November 2022

Around the Network

Not as disagreeable as I thought it'd be.

I'm not a horror game fan, but the top 10 (as little variety as it has) seems pretty good considering the reputation of the games.

Other notes:

• For it's reputation, F.E.A.R. is quite low. I suspect it's because of the game's old age and poor sales on consoles.
  • That's one of the worst pages I've ever used on a PC. It shows practically only three games at once, on a list of 122 games. It actually shows more games at once on a mobile device! Absolutely no regard for PCs here.
  • There's some very loose definition of a horror game involved here, considering the likes of BioShock, Left 4 Dead, Alan Wake, Days Gone, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and many others.

Zombi U is the scariest game I ever played. I never played silent hill 2 but wish to some day.

I just played once and didn't finish but Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GC) would take part in the list.

Around the Network

A lot of Resident Evil in there! Scariest game ever to me was Paranormal Activity on the PSVR, game freaked me out. Scariest non vr game was probably the original Resident Evil or Until Dawn.

My list would be RE 1-3 and CV (originals, not remakes), Silent Hill 1 (original, not remake), Condemned and Zombi U. Remakes take a lot of the atmosphere and creepiness away, since it was the bad graphics and limitations of the time which made the originals so scary. 

Man some of the games on there are quite a stretch to call horror, particularly Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, that's basicly comedy.

Anyways since it is specifically a horror game topic, I'll go by how scary/disturbing the games are, in which case my top 5 would probably be:

1. DDLC
  2. Amnesia
  3. Silent Hill
  4. Silent Hill 3
  5. Silent Hill 2

Shoutout to RE4 and RE2 Remake which are amazing games, but not that scary when push comes to shove.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Putting RE2 Remake ahead of RE2 seems pretty bad. In terms of which one would be better to play right now, then maybe the remake, but if you're judging it based on how good it was at release then RE2 is much better! It feels a more complete game, there were bits cut from the remake. Personally I hated Mr X too, he was only in Claire's RE2 scenario, so annoyingly jamming him into both in the remake annoyed me. Plus the bullet sponge enemies kind of ruined the game for me too.

Ryuu96 said:

Halloween has officially arrived and we are here to help celebrate by presenting you with the winners of our best horror video game face-off. Not only do you now have an idea of what terrifying games you need to play for the first time or hundredth during this spooky season, but we also now know which horror game IGN's audience believes is the best of the best.

So, after 1.2 million battles with matchups like Resident Evil 4 vs. Dead Space and Silent Hill vs. P.T., which game earned the right to be called the greatest horror game of all time? Bloody drumroll please...

Full List of 122: The Best Horror Video Game Face-Off - IGN

The Best Horror Video Game: Our Face-Off Winner Revealed - IGN

Thoughts on the results? What would your top 10 be?

This also means games most people played which is why these 2 series dominate top 10. Those series do deserve merits. RE and SH.