By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt announces long term roadmap. 5 new Witcher games, 1 new Cyberpunk, 1 new IP

mZuzek said:

So just the three Witcher sequels, two Witcher spin-offs, one Cyberpunk sequel, and a new IP.

This is way too much. Like way, waaayy to much. I doubt they can handle all this stuff at once but even if they do, why announce it all this early on.

It seems like too much on the surface, but it may not be. CD Projekt currently has 7 studios in different cities around the world, CD Projekt labelled studios in Warsaw, Cracow, Wroclaw, Vancouver, and Boston, as well as 2 studios names Spokko and Molasses Flood. This seems to the distribution of devs for these newly announced projekts:

• Witcher New Trilogy (AAA)- CD Projekt Warsaw, Cracow, and Wroclaw
  • Witcher smaller side game  (A or AA)- Molasses Flood
  • Witcher story driven open world RPG side game (AA or AAA)- Unknown 3rd party studio founded by former Witcher devs
  • Cyberpunk sequel (AAA)- CD Projekt Vancouver and Boston (many keys devs of the first Cyberpunk in Poland will be moving to Vancouver or Boston for the sequel)
  • New IP (AAA)- Currently in incubation at the main CD Projekt studio in Warsaw, incubation will take a few years before it moves into pre-production. Once it enters preproduction I would assume that it will be in development alongside the Witcher trilogy at the 3 Poland studios.
  • Spokko is a mobile studio and no new project was announced for them yesterday

So while it seems like alot, Cyberpunk development is being moved completely out of Poland to their 2 North American studios with key Cyberpunk 2077 devs moving to oversee the newer North American teams, so their original Poland studios will be free to work solely on Witcher and the new IP. Meanwhile, all of their internal studios will surely be expanding alot in the coming years in order to reach a high enough number of devs to oversee development on 3 AAA IP at once. Meanwhile they are moving to Unreal 5 which is an easy develop for engine with lots of automation features designed to speed up development.

Recruitment was likely the purpose of announcing these projects this early, they wanted people to know what they were working on an wanted them to know they are moving to Unreal on all of their projects (most game devs can use Unreal with ease which makes recruitment much easier than a proprietary engine like their previous Red Engine). 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

So just the three Witcher sequels, two Witcher spin-offs, one Cyberpunk sequel, and a new IP.

This is way too much. Like way, waaayy to much. I doubt they can handle all this stuff at once but even if they do, why announce it all this early on.

It was an investors meeting, to make the shareholders feel good and possibly raise more funds. The announcements were not meant for us.
Anyway it shows, if you go big and fuck up bad, obvious solution is to go 5x bigger for the next round :)

SvennoJ said:
mZuzek said:

It was an investors meeting, to make the shareholders feel good and possibly raise more funds. The announcements were not meant for us.
Anyway it shows, if you go big and fuck up bad, obvious solution is to go 5x bigger for the next round :)

Pretty much.

Thanks to the goodwill they've earned via Studio Trigger (which I don't think was deserved, seeing as how there is still loads missing from the game itself), they seem to be easily forgiven, and going by them pleasing investors via these announcements, I feel like we're going to get a repeat, where we get non stop marketing for these games years before we even see the final product, and then the final products being stretched thin once again. 

I just wish they'd just not announce this sorta stuff, even to investors, because it 100% always leaks, we find out about these games lightyears away and then to make up for some ppl's "where's da game!?", we get yrs worth of marketing, and I hate that. I miss when games got their marketing 6 months to a year before release, not 5-6yrs.

I get more hyped for indie games these days, because they have an excuse with kickstarter projects taking a couple of years, and even then they work quietly and then market nearer release. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

How many Witcher books were created? Is the Witcher still an ongoing series (Books)? 5 more Witcher games damn.

SegaHeart said:

How many Witcher books were created? Is the Witcher still an ongoing series (Books)? 5 more Witcher games damn.

The games have their own canon set after the final book in the series, The Lady of the Lake. They are a continuation of the story in the books, rather than an adaptation of the books like the Netflix show. It was implied that the new trilogy will be set after Witcher 3, the game. As for the open world story driven RPG side game that was announced, we have no idea when it is set, could be a prequel to all of the books and games, like the Netflix witcher anime movie was. Same goes for the smaller side game by Molasses Flood.