By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - HBO Max and Discovery

You got it wrong. Fuck David Zaslav. He's the one who's been doing this.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I get what you mean. I was watching Infinite Train with my son and they dumped the series when we were partway through the second season with nowhere else to continue the show. Pretty lame. Here's hoping they're done taking things out for a bit. Just started Craig of the Creek with him and I'd be sad if we had the same trouble.

CaptainExplosion said:
Leynos said:

You got it wrong. Fuck David Zaslav. He's the one who's been doing this.

Didn't know his name, so I put the blame on both sides.

Now hopefully people will value physical media more at least.

Nah, physical is annoying.  I'll stick with streaming.  

I own over 100 digital games, some bought 20 years ago...  never had one taken away.  

Digital is the best.  

Streaming has ruined film making as well

In case that doesn't work. try this link. Matt Damon explains why streaming has hurt film making vs physical media helping it

https://streamable.com/pedvjq

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Once again, this is why physical copies are always the way to go. They can't take stuff away from you once it is safe in your shelf or in your hard drive. Also, I love how streaming was presented as the sure way to beat piracy, only to make piracy look better than ever.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

Once again, this is why physical copies are always the way to go. They can't take stuff away from you once it is safe in your shelf or in your hard drive. Also, I love how streaming was presented as the sure way to beat piracy, only to make piracy look better than ever.

Definitely. Now days if I ever watch anything really good on a streaming service I'm like I hope they release this in physical because I fear they may take that content off.

I could be wrong but if I remember reading correctly another pro about piracy is that it takes roughly half the data to download the content than if you were to stream it in the same resolution. Download once and can continually rewatch it over and over without wasting data. I'm sure many have unlimited data so this isn't an issue.

Streaming services is great because it's so convenient and gives a lot of content but the gamble is you viewers have absolutely no control of it what so ever no matter how much you complain.  Just bend over and take it up the @$$. They even increase the price and there's nothing you can do about it.  People complain like if Netflix (or any other streaming service) is going to increase their price they're going to end their subscription; and then what? Jump to a different streaming service that will do the same? or better yet buy physical? Cause then that's great!

I have zero interest in changing the minds of others, so my question is genuine. What games have people personally had removed? I realise there are websites that track this, but I am asking about personal experience. I've never had any book, movie, game removed from digital library.

Chrkeller said:

I have zero interest in changing the minds of others, so my question is genuine. What games have people personally had removed? I realise there are websites that track this, but I am asking about personal experience. I've never had any book, movie, game removed from digital library.

Trackmania was removed from my library, it was a free game though so I wasn't really bothered.

I think it was probably 2009/2010 when I first downloaded it, not sure when it dissapeared but I noticed when I changed laptop in 2013...It was available again around 2018/19.

I also don't think it's much of a problem with games, at least not most modern games (some services like Nintendo's virtual console may get taken down, but they are digital downloads, not streaming services... so the copy of the game is still on your system as long as it doesn't need online to run)

Music, film & TV are more susceptible to this because most people don't download offline copies they just stream. I don't use any streaming film/TV accounts myself but my sister has mentioned things going missing on a couple of occasions (not sure how common it is but suspect it will mostly be less popular stuff taken down due to licencing issues)

Digital books are downloaded copies like games, so less of an issue... There have been some services go out of business as I recall, but this wouldn't destroy your copy.

Personally I have almost entirely bought digital games for the last 8-9 years, and not had any problem apart from Trackmania (free version). Film & TV I also don't have too much of a problem with them being streamed. I just avoid the streaming accounts as my issue would be the competing services that you would have to subscribe to just to watch what you want.

I still stick to physical disks but buy far less than before. Since digital and streaming took over quality and releases have gone down a lot. I'm still waiting for S5 and S6 of the Expanse to be released on Blu-ray. However S4 wasn't that great and S5 and S6 are only 10 and 6 episodes. Seasons used to be 13 or 14 episodes...

Discovery is on cable here so apart from them advertising Discovery+ it's all still the same to me. I never payed for HBO, just buy there stuff on physical media if it's good. Not really anymore, Westworld S3 was disappointing after waiting for it so long. I would have watched more Star Trek if it was still on TV but it isn't. Can't sample it now to see if the new series is worth buying.

All in all I just watch less and less tv and movies. Just hope gaming doesn't follow the same route...

I have lost plenty digital games but mostly because I bought them directly from the independent studios, lost my account or rather can't be bothered to track it all down again after my HDD crashed a couple years ago. I've also lost digital content on PS3 after the HDD failed. Some things did not show up in my library so couldn't download them again.

Anyway I have over a thousand physical movies and probably close to a thousand physical games as well, plenty not even played yet. I'm fine if it all collapses now :)

HigHurtenflurst said:
Chrkeller said:

Trackmania was removed from my library, it was a free game though so I wasn't really bothered.

I think it was probably 2009/2010 when I first downloaded it, not sure when it dissapeared but I noticed when I changed laptop in 2013...It was available again around 2018/19.

I also don't think it's much of a problem with games, at least not most modern games (some services like Nintendo's virtual console may get taken down, but they are digital downloads, not streaming services... so the copy of the game is still on your system as long as it doesn't need online to run)

Music, film & TV are more susceptible to this because most people don't download offline copies they just stream. I don't use any streaming film/TV accounts myself but my sister has mentioned things going missing on a couple of occasions (not sure how common it is but suspect it will mostly be less popular stuff taken down due to licencing issues)

Digital books are downloaded copies like games, so less of an issue... There have been some services go out of business as I recall, but this wouldn't destroy your copy.

Personally I have almost entirely bought digital games for the last 8-9 years, and not had any problem apart from Trackmania (free version). Film & TV I also don't have too much of a problem with them being streamed. I just avoid the streaming accounts as my issue would be the competing services that you would have to subscribe to just to watch what you want.

Fair enough and thanks for the response.  I am in the same boat, haven't had any major issues.  Streaming, yeah stuff goes away, but new stuff comes out as well.  And honestly I'm not the type that is going to rewatch an old TV program anyway.