LT sales?

5-10m, it won't sell much more 2 6.45%

10-15m, reasonable sales 13 41.94%

15-20m, genuinely going t... 9 29.03%

20m+, the fad is back! 4 12.90%

30m+ Approaching Wii spor... 3 9.68%

Nintendo Switch what? 0 0%

Total:31

I was waiting for what seemed like forever for a new entry in the "Wii" series, then it was suddenly announced!

With not much fanfare or notice, i thought Nintendo Switch sports may struggle to continue keep up the Wii sports tradition sales-wise. I was worried it would be more "Wii sports club" than "Wii sports". 

However, once it was near to release, the advertising blitz started and i noted that it seemed to have staying power in all the WW charts. Then, when the Nintendo earnings report came out, i was pleasantly surprised to see it had sold nearly 5m in just over 2 months! 

Pretty sure it will have Mario kart-esque legs (Pro rata), so i think it will be in the upper half of the charts for a long time. So, thoughts on its LT sales when all is said and done?

Bonus question, do you own it and what do you think/what is your favourite sport? I have it and i love it! The updated nuances and subtleties are very well implemented in all sports. My favourites are tennis and bowling.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

I think it can come close to 10mil at the end of this year. 20mil and more if it keeps selling on the next Nintendo console through backwards compatability.

I don't have it yet but I plan on getting it. Tennis was my favorite in the original (next to boxing), so I'm sure it'll be my favorite in this one too.

Ultimately voted for 10-15 million, but it really depends on the support Nintendo provides for the game. If the game has good support going into 2023 and maybe even a little bit of 2024, I could see the game being a 20 million seller.

Surprised i am saying this but i would surprised if it doesn't hit 20m+. I was actually worried for the franchise at 1st as i thought it might struggle to reach 5m. Now, after seeing the financials i'm confident it will have the legs to exceed 20m. I think that may even be the floor! Again the vocal minority online have been ignored for the most part. Also, i feel a lot of the review scores that were given were unfair, considering it's an online-centric game and the reviewers weren't given the opportunity to play online. They should have tried to go online once the game was available at retail and then tried it out and if necessary amend their scores. Unprofessional.
@ kakadu. Am pretty sure you will love the tennis, so much subtlety has been added to the shots now.

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

I haven't played it yet but at least from reviews it seems like a low effort game compared to what I had hoped for (like all Nintendo's sports games have been on Switch).

As it is, I see it doing <15 million which is low for what I would expect out of this game, but makes sense for the effort level they seemingly put into it (at least from what I've read). It had a good opening and will have legs but I'm not sure it'll get above 15 million. I'll get it eventually once Golf is out this Fall. I don't know the details of what all it has other than just knowing the sports it has, but it seems like the critical reception has been muted, which is unfortunate. For years I've been saying Switch needs a Wii Sports sequel and it would automatically be a 20 million seller but for some reason Nintendo has been releasing all mediocre sports games for Switch (Aces, Golf, Strikers, Sports) in which they have to add content after launch to even get the games to a competent level of content, and this seems to be another.

Hopefully it is really good and better than what I've heard, but even if it is I haven't seen the word of mouth to suggest it'll leg itself to 20 million. But just the fact that it's a Wii Sports sequel on Switch means it'll get over 10 million on brand name alone. I could see it getting close to 15 million. If they keep updating and adding content and improving it after the Golf update maybe it could have huge legs, but as far as I know the only planned updates were to finish the soccer game which already happened, and add Golf this Fall.

I'm looking forward to playing it but from what I've heard I don't think it'll be the 20+ million it could have been.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 13 August 2022

Around the Network

I haven't picked it up yet, but I plan to get it probably. Where the heck is golf and baseball?

Slownenberg said:

I haven't played it yet but at least from reviews it seems like a low effort game compared to what I had hoped for (like all Nintendo's sports games have been on Switch).

As it is, I see it doing <15 million which is low for what I would expect out of this game, but makes sense for the effort level they seemingly put into it (at least from what I've read). It had a good opening and will have legs but I'm not sure it'll get above 15 million. I'll get it eventually once Golf is out this Fall. I don't know the details of what all it has other than just knowing the sports it has, but it seems like the critical reception has been muted, which is unfortunate. For years I've been saying Switch needs a Wii Sports sequel and it would automatically be a 20 million seller but for some reason Nintendo has been releasing all mediocre sports games for Switch (Aces, Golf, Strikers, Sports) in which they have to add content after launch to even get the games to a competent level of content, and this seems to be another.

Hopefully it is really good and better than what I've heard, but even if it is I haven't seen the word of mouth to suggest it'll leg itself to 20 million. But just the fact that it's a Wii Sports sequel on Switch means it'll get over 10 million on brand name alone. I could see it getting close to 15 million. If they keep updating and adding content and improving it after the Golf update maybe it could have huge legs, but as far as I know the only planned updates were to finish the soccer game which already happened, and add Golf this Fall.

I'm looking forward to playing it but from what I've heard I don't think it'll be the 20+ million it could have been.

Yeah I agree with you the sports games are not really worth it on the switch. Tbf Switch sports is cheaper than the Mario sports series but it still is a little expensive for what it is. It's fun don't get me wrong, but since I already played Wii Sports like crazy back in the day, I already experienced it all. Obviously Switch Sports is meant for newer audience and generation of people. Your wrong about one thing tho, because apparently they did take a lot of time on this game as it was planned to release way sooner. That's why I don't understand the lack of content, and reading some of their interviews made me sad because they genuinely had good ideas that was scrapped bcuz it wasn't really "Wii Sports-like". So yeah after multiple revisions, they reminded themselves to keep the roots of the Wii sport series and made it simple for "anyone" to have fun which ultimately resulted in this... I woulda loved a story/single-player mode similar to Jikkyo Powerful Baseball would have been super fun if there was.

Now I'm hoping these planned updates are good. I don't mind this update formula unlike a lot of people in this community but it should be more frequent, not like once per 3 month especially since the content is barebones from start.

Nothing has been said officially but there has been speculation that there will be up to 3 new sports added in future updates. This would make sense for Nintendo to do and it would also fit in with Nintendo;s recent business model with sports games {+ Arms and splatoon).

I think it will definitely do 20m+, but I voted 30m+. I think it has at least a 50% chance of doing 30m+, but it also has a good chance of falling short of that. I don't think it will have any problem shooting past 20m though.

FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:

I haven't picked it up yet, but I plan to get it probably. Where the heck is golf and baseball?

I think golf is supposed to be added by the end of the year.  No word on baseball currently.  I would like to see both baseball and boxing added at some point.