By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EVO 2022 Thread

I'm interested in seeing what Multiversus will be like.

Around the Network

Been watching MK11 and KoF15, enjoyed both, not sure I'll be able to see SF due to times. Weirdly, as a Tekken player I don't like watching Tekken, their playstyle is fa too twitchy for me, plus never agreed with the bounding mechanic.

Plus I don't like watching them play Geese or Akuma, just a SF like characters in Tekken, so it's 3D SF not Tekken.

Last edited by The Fury - on 07 August 2022

Hmm, pie.

There was a Marvel vs Capcom 2 tournament at EVO 2022.

I hope Disney finally re-release the game on Modern consoles (PS5/X Series) and PC.

The community is still really strong after 22 years.

Hiku said:

Tekken 8 teaser

If this is the case I'm actually disappointed. Harada said the Mishima story is done and I was half hoping for a new Tekken gameplay game as like a spirtual successor.

Whole new characters, roster and stuff.

Hey, at least as they get the customisation right and it's like 6 and not 7.

EDIT: Oh and less classic characters as paid DLC, big mistake that one.

Hmm, pie.

Hiku said:

It makes sense. The degree to which I like playing a game and watching it can vary a lot.
Some games I don't like to play but love to watch. (MVC3) Some games I love to play but don't enjoy watching.

With KOF 15 it's pretty even for me, but even more enjoyable to watch at a high level than when I play. SF4 was like that as well.
I can enjoy watching Tekken, but it's much more fun when I play it myself.
SFV however is just purgatory for me. I get no enjoyment out of watching it for some reason. But both Daigo and Tokido are in Top 8 this year. It's the first time for Daigo since 2013 I think. So I'll watch it if I'm still awake.

It's more I can admire the skills involved in 2d plain fighters. No offence to Tekken as I love it but there is a lore more posturing that the other games. 

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Hiku said:

Tekken 8 teaser

If this is the case I'm actually disappointed. Harada said the Mishima story is done and I was half hoping for a new Tekken gameplay game as like a spirtual successor.

Whole new characters, roster and stuff.

Hey, at least as they get the customisation right and it's like 6 and not 7.

EDIT: Oh and less classic characters as paid DLC, big mistake that one.

What? Both Jin and Kazuya are both alive. And c'mon, Heihachi is not dead.

I am like you and think its time for a fresh start though.

Xxain said:

What? Both Jin and Kazuya are both alive. And c'mon, Heihachi is not dead.

I am like you and think its time for a fresh start though.

Doesn't mean the stories not concluded.

https://tekkengamer.com/2017/03/05/harada-says-mishima-saga-will-end-death-kazuya-heihachi/

... I think you need to play T7's story mode again.

I just want a change really, love the gameplay but if they do another classic character behind a paywall or because it's too much work to add them all, I would like to just have a new set of characters completely, then people won't be disappointed. 

Might allow them to experiment with some new fighting styles or mix and match, creating new ones for brand new characters.

Hmm, pie.

Hiku said:

I took that as a conclusion to the Mishima family feud. Why Heihachi did the things he did, the origin of the Devil gene, etc.
That's pretty much wrapped up now, so they can have a new focus for the next story.

All new characters gets more difficult to do the bigger the roster becomes, and these days the rosters are pretty huge compared to the old days.
I think at that point it may be better to make it a different series and call it something else, kind of like how Garou Mark of the Wolves is different from King of Fighters.

Which kind of ties into DLC. If the roster keeps getting bigger and bigger, and you want to launch each new entry with some new characters, at some point it becomes unreasonable to include every classic character. But it's understandable that people can feel unhappy about that. 

But a normal player can't make a player of Gamerbee's caliber eat all those DPs in a row in spite of the great risk it carries if it is blocked. Which is why we never saw that happen again in SF4's lifetime, and why it became a legendary moment.

On the former, kinda my point. Yes, it's great to continue on with your characters but the more they add and the more they want to promote new ones or appeal to a market the more they will also leave behind or more work they create for them. They can adapt however, Lee when added was basically just a Law clone, slightly different moveset but by the time 4 and onwards came about they redefined his kit massively. 6 version of Lee was superb and fluid but I fear he is an outlier character, added only because of the story involved in T7, much to the reason why classic characters Anna, Lei and Julia were left out and added as (paid) DLC only later. In 8 without the Mishima stuff being for front, I feel he will fall out of the game, like Lei did. Meaning my 'mains' are starting to dwindle. 

Solution? Don't make Tekken 8. Make something else but the same gameplay. I can't be disappointed in Lee not being in it if no one's mains are in it. They can add characters that have similar fighting styles but with a new game, new gen, why not mix it up with new story and characters as well?

On the latter, more than I know what is capable in Tekken and not SF and MK as I'm not a fluent in it's tactics. But can't deny I don't enjoy the high level play viewing, they are the best of the best for a reason.

Hmm, pie.