By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Anime Annoyances?

hinch said:

Typical anime characterization tropes (tsundere, dandere, aloof, airhead, overpowered) that make the character without much depth to them. Repetitive behaviour and over animated/overdone emotions and gestures can get grating after a while too.

For shonen anime.. Shouting out attacks while doing them is quite dumb and silly.

Series with too much emphasis on teens, who seemingly have an ungodly amount of influence in their respective world/s. Their reliance on them, for whatever need like protecting/saving the world. Which doesn't make much sense, really lol.

Shouting out techniques is like a cultural thing for them, even in real world some fights you need to shout your attack (like in Kendo)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DragonRouge said:
hinch said:

Typical anime characterization tropes (tsundere, dandere, aloof, airhead, overpowered) that make the character without much depth to them. Repetitive behaviour and over animated/overdone emotions and gestures can get grating after a while too.

For Shonen.. Shouting out attacks while doing them is quite dumb and silly.

Series with too much emphasis on teens, who seemingly have an ungodly amount of influence in their world. Their reliance on them, for whatever need like protecting/saving the world. Which doesn't make much sense, really lol.

I came here to mention that. What's the deal with their teen fetish?

The "shouting out my attack" thing also makes it difficult for me to play some JRPG's.

Yeah I don't mind watching some but things can get rather questionable rather quickly lol. Its probably a lot due to anime targeted towards younger audiences in Japan. Easier to market, sell and merchandise.

Which is kinda funny since outside of Japan the average audience or weeb is probably A LOT older.

DonFerrari said:
hinch said:

For shonen anime.. Shouting out attacks while doing them is quite dumb and silly.

Series with too much emphasis on teens, who seemingly have an ungodly amount of influence in their respective world/s. Their reliance on them, for whatever need like protecting/saving the world. Which doesn't make much sense, really lol.

Shouting out techniques is like a cultural thing for them, even in real world some fights you need to shout your attack (like in Kendo)

Just generally speaking, in a situation where someone has to fight an opponent. You wouldn't want to telegraph your moves, never mind shout it out loud xD Imagine someone just shouting out 'SUPER-POWERFUL-DOWNWARD KARATE CHOP' a second or two before pulling a move lol. The other person/being would just step aside or dodge and avoid. Kinda jarring but eh its not a deal breaker for watching an anime. For playing a anime type game, its atrocious.

Last edited by hinch - on 25 July 2022

hinch said:
DragonRouge said:

The "shouting out my attack" thing also makes it difficult for me to play some JRPG's.

Yeah I don't mind watching some but things can get rather questionable rather quickly lol. Its probably a lot due to anime targeted towards younger audiences in Japan. Easier to market, sell and merchandise.

Which is kinda funny since outside of Japan the average audience or weeb is probably A LOT older.

DonFerrari said:

Just generally speaking, in a situation where someone has to fight an opponent. You wouldn't want to telegraph your moves, never mind shout it out loud xD Imagine someone just shouting out 'SUPER-POWERFUL-DOWNWARD KARATE CHOP' a second or two before pulling a move lol. The other person/being would just step aside or dodge and avoid. Kinda jarring but eh its not a deal breaker for watching an anime. For playing a anime type game, its atrocious.

I understand why it annoys you, but that is how they do kkkk

And don't forget the fights are usually played in super slow motion to us, so actually either he is shouting while doing the attack (making it not a hint) or it is silly situation like DBZ where the chars want to take the strongest hit of the enemy head on.

Think of it as an incantation you need to do to make a spell or words to increase concentration and make the movement right.

Tae Kwon Do on the olympics they have to shout the attack to count if I'm not wrong.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Biggest annoyance to me is audiences during fights or other important moments, characters just watching how action pass them by and they just stand there doing nothing. Happens to the protagonists of such moments as well. Sometimes it is understandable, sometimes it isn't.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

hinch said:
DragonRouge said:

DonFerrari said:

Bold: This probably applies to Japan as well.
And then, there is also the classic "I'll show you my new technique that will totally destroy you" like, thanks for the heads up dude, I would've been a lot more effective if you just did your technique without announcing it, now I'm on high alert and have a greater chance of actually countering it.