By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 15 Million - Global Hardware May29-June 4

Be sure to share the Weekly breakdown article.

Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 15 Million - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for May 29-June 4

The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console with 281,304 units sold for the week ending June 4, 2022, according to VGChartz estimates. The Switch has now sold an estimated 108.73 million units lifetime.

The PlayStation 5 sold an estimated 182,375 units to bring its lifetime sales to 20.19 million units. The Xbox Series X|S sold 146,548 units to bring their lifetime sales to 15.08 million units.

PS5 sales compared to the same week for the PS4 in 2015 are up by over 10,000 units, while the Xbox Series X|S compared to the same week for the Xbox One are up by over 75,000 units. PS4 sold 172,107 units for the week ending June 6, 2015 and Xbox One sales were at 71,296 units.

The PlayStation 4 sold an estimated 9,300 units, and the Xbox One sold 538 units.

Nintendo Switch sales compared to the same week a year ago are down by 68,686 units (-19.6%), while the PlayStation 5 is down by 3,254 (-1.8%) and the Xbox Series X|S is up 34,784 units (31.1%).

The PlayStation 4 is down 29,307 units (-75.9%) year-over-year and the Xbox One is down 16,029 units (-96.8%).

Looking at sales week-on-week, Nintendo Switch sales are up by nearly 3,000 units, PlayStation 5 sales are up by nearly 6,000 units, and Xbox Series X|S sales are down by nearly 13,000 units.

2022 year-to-date, the Nintendo Switch has sold an estimated 6.85 million units, the Xbox Series X|S has sold 3.27 million units, and the PlayStation 5 has sold 3.21 million units.

Global hardware estimates (Followed by lifetime sales):

1. Switch - 281,304 (108,731,408)
  2. PlayStation 5 - 182,375 (20,186,354)
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 146,548 (15,084,386)
  4. PlayStation 4 - 9,300 (116,912,384)
  5. Xbox One - 538 (50,528,629)
Americas (US, Canada, Latin America) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 98,710
  2. Xbox Series X|S - 69,901
  3. PlayStation 5 - 60,879
  4. PlayStation 4 - 5,965
  5. Xbox One - 443
Europe hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 78,355
  2. PlayStation 5- 59,626
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 42,988
  4. PlayStation 4 - 3,102
  5. Xbox One - 82
Asia (Japan, mainland Asia, Middle East) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 88,915
  2. PlayStation 5 - 56,505
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 27,425
  4. PlayStation 4 - 127
  5. Xbox One - 8
Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 15,324
  2. Xbox Series X|S - 6,234
  3. PlayStation 5 - 5,365
  4. PlayStation 4 - 106
  5. Xbox One - 5

VGChartz Methodology: Hardware estimates are based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region. This typically allows us to produce figures that end up being within 10% of the actual totals.

This data is regularly compared against official shipment figures released by the console manufacturers and figures estimated by regional trackers with greater market coverage than ourselves. We then update our own estimates to bring them into line with those figures. This can result in frequent changes often within a short space of time, but we feel it's important to prioritise accuracy over consistency.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

PS5 looks like it had another relatively good week, and it wasn't too far behind XBox in the Americas. Switch should hit 109m next week. Other than that things seem relatively slow, but this report signifies that we made it through May. I'm sure there has to be some decent game releases in June.

The ps5, hopefully continues to get better stock, and they "it isn't selling well" argument can be laid to rest.

PS5 and XS close in NA and EU, Asia is the main differentiator in sales.

Switch remaining a very admirable baseline given its age and the slow time of year.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

PS5 looks like it had another relatively good week, and it wasn't too far behind XBox in the Americas. Switch should hit 109m next week. Other than that things seem relatively slow, but this report signifies that we made it through May. I'm sure there has to be some decent game releases in June.

What kind of meds are you taking, the ps5 is doing bad, it could be selling double if there was stock, I have never seen even 1 single console available for sale and I know of a lot of people who want one. At least xbox has plenty stock on amazon here in Europe, so whoever wanted one got one. I just checked again amazon UK its still available, its been a month that its been available every day.

⚠️ WARNED: (Flaming) - no need for the "meds" comment

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 14 June 2022

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

What kind of meds are you taking, the ps5 is doing bad, it could be selling double if there was stock, I have never seen even 1 single console available for sale and I know of a lot of people who want one. At least xbox has plenty stock on amazon here in Europe, so whoever wanted one got one. I just checked again amazon UK its still available, its been a month that its been available every day.

Your anecdotal evidence does not show that the PS5 is doing badly. It's up over the PS4 in the same week in 2015 by 10k units. By all accounts this week was objectively a good week for the PS5.

You personally not having seen a PS5 available for sale doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 14 June 2022

victor83fernandes said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Of course the PS5 could be selling more without shortages, but so could the Series X.  I've never seen the PS5 nor the Series X available in a store or online here in the US either, but at least on Amazon the PS5 is listed for its regular $499 price and you can request an invite to try and procure one.  The Series X, on the other hand, is still just listed as "add to list" with no chance at all.

Fact is, both consoles would be doing better if the stock was available, not just the Playstation 5.

curl-6 said:

Switch remaining a very admirable baseline given its age and the slow time of year.

I guess from an analytical point of view. It still posting better results than the pre-pandemic years is kind of excellent. 

As long as it maintains a better baseline than 2019, it's time under the sun will be shining bright !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

I guess from an analytical point of view. It still posting better results than the pre-pandemic years is kind of excellent. 

As long as it maintains a better baseline than 2019, it's time under the sun will be shining bright !

I doubt it will remain that way till the end of the year. 2019 got way stronger in september and after. 2022 will lose it's advantage in the holidays and will probably finish around the same or barely up.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through June 4

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to June 8)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to June 6)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to June 5)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to June 4)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 3.27 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 940,559 units (+40.4%)
  • Xbox One
    • 0.03 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 445,889 units (-93.8%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 6.85 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 2,409,508 units (-26.0%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 3.21 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,283,402 units (-28.6%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.33 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,047,234 (-75.8%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.