By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ask the Developer Vol. 5, Nintendo Switch Sports

Read it here: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-5-nintendo-switch-sports-part-1/

Title has been in development for quite some time, seems like it started a while after the Switch launch.

They mention development struggles to justify the sequel nature of the game... even trying to go motionless.
To then cover problems capturing the real sports motions or the average approximations of waggle gamers will replicate.

The other aspect to make the game feel fresh was its style, as they did not want to remake Wii Sports again, cough cough Club.
Here's some concept character art they went through in the early stages to replace the Miis:

Intercollegiate Sports

Switch Sports: Robobot Edition

You control the robot which plays the sport for you, so kind of like your character ingame

Then they go over the venues that try unify the whole sports complex together with the complementary environmental sound design.

Lastly they mention the bigger push for online in the WFH post-covid times we are in, and how the online multiplayer works nicely with a weekly reward system in place.

---

I still think it is missing an online co-op mode, as that is still only local... although if you read between the lines, they do mention that lag and uncertainty might not work that well in cooperative online games.

So, with the development anecdotes out of the way, are you enjoying Switch Sports?

Last edited by TomaTito - on 27 May 2022

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Mech Skull is very Gurren Lagann. The concepts look much better than in the final game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Interesting that they used deep-learning to improve the motion controls.

Leynos said:

Mech Skull is very Gurren Lagann. The concepts look much better than in the final game.

Not E for everyone enough, but it might still come as an extra body type as they released a furry in week 4...

deerox said:

Interesting that they used deep-learning to improve the motion controls.

My initial thought was also that there shouldn't be that much different motions between the joycon and wiimote, but how you hold those little joys in the hand can have an effect. So averaging out a mean expected motion from big data is indeed an interesting solution.

Also did not know that the new avatars had a name, they are Sportmates

Quite a mouthful when you compare it with Miis

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

The development took way longer than I thought. But makes sense if they went through so many concepts.