By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Am I alone in liking HFW more than Elden Ring?

Which did you prefer?

HFW 14 35.90%

ER 19 48.72%

Neither 3 7.69%

Both equally for different reasons 3 7.69%

Total:39

Love HFW. I absolutely loved where they are taking the story and thought the game was an improvement in nearly every way over the first game which I also loved. Also the second game I've got a plat for with Spiderman being the first.  With that said ER might be one of the best games I've ever played. I put in 99 hours and could have kept playing if I wanted to but wanted to save it for another day that I get the itch for the souls formula. Think I'll go PC next time though. Persona 5 I had 90 hours but I was ready for it to end.

Around the Network

Kinda offtopic but I've been thinking a lot about people's reactions to Elden Ring and what my reaction could be. I consider myself a Fromsoft fan, I bought Demon's Souls on the PS3 before Dark Souls launched and had an absolute blast with it. Actually it was my first PS3 game and it remains precious to me and also one of my top 5 favorites on that console. That being said I didn't love the games that came afterward: Dark Souls was good and the way the areas connected was better than Demon's but the story left A LOT to be desired. DS2 felt extremely derivative of Demon's and DS1. I didn't hate DS2 but it was just okay.

I have 0 interest in DS3 and some interest in Bloodborne but I do wonder if Elden Ring is as amazing as people say. From an outside perspective it just seems like open world Dark Souls.

shikamaru317 said:

Haven't played either as of yet, Horizon 2 because I want to play it on PS5 instead of PS4 and won't be buying a PS5 until a Slim model is released mid-gen, Elden Ring because I need to wait on like a $20 price tag or Gamepass release before I'm willing to take a risk on a game that may be too hard for me to beat (the only other FromSoft Souls like I have played, Sekiro, was unbeatably hard for me). Considering how much I dislike ultra hard games I will probably like Horizon 2 more, but Elden Ring seems like it might be the better game for me if it had an easy mode, but that will never happen sadly.

I haven't played Sekiro, but from what I understand it was arguably the most difficult game, in large part due to not having levels. 

Any other Souls game you can grind levels and make things a lot easier for you. 

Spike0503 said:

Kinda offtopic but I've been thinking a lot about people's reactions to Elden Ring and what my reaction could be. I consider myself a Fromsoft fan, I bought Demon's Souls on the PS3 before Dark Souls launched and had an absolute blast with it. Actually it was my first PS3 game and it remains precious to me and also one of my top 5 favorites on that console. That being said I didn't love the games that came afterward: Dark Souls was good and the way the areas connected was better than Demon's but the story left A LOT to be desired. DS2 felt extremely derivative of Demon's and DS1. I didn't hate DS2 but it was just okay.

I have 0 interest in DS3 and some interest in Bloodborne but I do wonder if Elden Ring is as amazing as people say. From an outside perspective it just seems like open world Dark Souls.

It kinda is, and yet it makes a big difference.

For starters it makes the difficulty much more adjustable. A boss is too hard? Go somewhere else. The game actually encourages players to do exactly that, by putting two relatively hard bosses nearly at the start of the game: the Tree Sentinel and Margit. It teaches the players to look around what else they can find.

The amazing part though is exploration. And not only geographical, but also exploring gameplay mechanics. The world is well designed on multiple levels. On the macro level you have regions that are only partly visible (through clever usage of elevation) and may be hard to reach. But if you explore, each major region (except the endgame) has multiple ways to get there. So while many stepped into Liurnia after beating Godrick the Grafted, I already explored Liurnia before I even beat Margit. The same works for other regions as well. And on the medium or small level you still find the carefully crafted From Software dungeons.

And gameplay wise I don't think any From Game so far offered so many options. Yes, a lot of these were in past games, but Elden Ring has so many weapons, with Ash of Wars they can be combined with a lot of skills and their actual values and elemental damages can be changed. Craftable items also offer you ways into dealing with enemies. For instance the throwing pots can be crafted to include all sorts of elemental damage which allows even players with certain builds to access this if needed.

It also helps that most of the game is optional. That sounds like a bad thing, but actually it is a good thing. That is also part of the open world design, but many open world games still try to force you into a lot of it's content. But Elden Ring actually gives you the freedom to skip over most of the game. You still will try to experience a lot the game has to offer, because you *want* to. And if something in it is boring or frustratring - just leave it be and focus on the parts that are fun.

All that doesn't mean Elden Ring is the best game ever or it is perfect. It has flaws and shortcomings. A lot of it comes down to From being a small studio - obviously they cannot do as much as an AAA game like Horizon Forbidden West. But Elden Ring is a great experience. And the open world, the freedom and exploration aspect it offers brings just enough new stuff to make it interesting for From veterans, while the typical From Software elements bring a lot of freshness into the open world genre.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Eldin is a close second for my favorite FS game, with Bloodborne being the first. Was a 10 out of 10 experience for me, and likely my game of the year.  One of the few games I took the time to 100%/plat (in this case, I did it on XBox).

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

It kinda is, and yet it makes a big difference.

For starters it makes the difficulty much more adjustable. A boss is too hard? Go somewhere else. The game actually encourages players to do exactly that, by putting two relatively hard bosses nearly at the start of the game: the Tree Sentinel and Margit. It teaches the players to look around what else they can find.

The amazing part though is exploration. And not only geographical, but also exploring gameplay mechanics. The world is well designed on multiple levels. On the macro level you have regions that are only partly visible (through clever usage of elevation) and may be hard to reach. But if you explore, each major region (except the endgame) has multiple ways to get there. So while many stepped into Liurnia after beating Godrick the Grafted, I already explored Liurnia before I even beat Margit. The same works for other regions as well. And on the medium or small level you still find the carefully crafted From Software dungeons.

And gameplay wise I don't think any From Game so far offered so many options. Yes, a lot of these were in past games, but Elden Ring has so many weapons, with Ash of Wars they can be combined with a lot of skills and their actual values and elemental damages can be changed. Craftable items also offer you ways into dealing with enemies. For instance the throwing pots can be crafted to include all sorts of elemental damage which allows even players with certain builds to access this if needed.

It also helps that most of the game is optional. That sounds like a bad thing, but actually it is a good thing. That is also part of the open world design, but many open world games still try to force you into a lot of it's content. But Elden Ring actually gives you the freedom to skip over most of the game. You still will try to experience a lot the game has to offer, because you *want* to. And if something in it is boring or frustratring - just leave it be and focus on the parts that are fun.

All that doesn't mean Elden Ring is the best game ever or it is perfect. It has flaws and shortcomings. A lot of it comes down to From being a small studio - obviously they cannot do as much as an AAA game like Horizon Forbidden West. But Elden Ring is a great experience. And the open world, the freedom and exploration aspect it offers brings just enough new stuff to make it interesting for From veterans, while the typical From Software elements bring a lot of freshness into the open world genre.

Interesting perspective. I'll keep it in mind. Though I'd rather wait for the game to come down in price or even wait further for a new edition with DLC down the line haha. That's what FromSoft usually does anyway.

HFW weapons, armor and pouch upgrades system are too grindy. It is much better in ER.
HFW's Spike thrower and blastsling are much more effective than anything else in the game. ER has a better variety of weapons.
Aloy can't buy items from vendors directly into the stash.
Aloy does the loot animation at each point.
HFW's Exploration is not as fun or rewarding as ER. Most rewards are cosmetic (ornaments, drones, totems, vista points). ER's exploration is the best in gaming's history, on par with BOTW.
You get a certain mount way too late in HFW which makes it almost negligible to the comparison.
HFW's story is dragged for too long. Both it and the side quests are predictable. Not so much in ER.
HFW is bugged as hell, sometimes Aloy clips through terrain during a cinematic, while climbing, or riding a mount. Some random characters spawn out of nowhere and some spawned missing some limbs. Rarely happened in ER.
World design is great in both but i prefer ER's.
Difficulty curve is bad in both games. HFW's difficulty at Hard is challenging at first but drops "hard" after 30-40 hours into the game. ER's difficulty is actually a horizontal uneven zigzag, one time you're OP and the other you get one shotted.
HFW has a better and more memorable OST list, at least in my case.
HFW's graphics are far better than ER.

I guess that's my take

Last edited by icykai - on 21 May 2022

Maybe a crazzy idea but im here thinking the crazzy positivity elden ring is having is mainly to do to it being the easiest fromsoft game ever. For me at least that could not beat a single game before I am about to beat this one. Definetly don't think I can take some of those crazzy super bosses but at least I can beat it I belive.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.