By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Metroid 64 Could've Looked Like

Nintendo: we will take down fan made works of our Ip's
People: *makes fan works of nintendo IP*
Nintendo:

Not saying Nintendo is being nice or fair, but at some point I just lost sympathy for them

At this point I am convinced that they are morons, or they are just trying to give Nintendo bad press.

Use your talents to make your own IP/games, then put it on PC!

Around the Network
Kneetos said:

Nintendo: we will take down fan made works of our Ip's
People: *makes fan works of nintendo IP*
Nintendo:

Not saying Nintendo is being nice or fair, but at some point I just lost sympathy for them

At this point I am convinced that they are morons, or they are just trying to give Nintendo bad press.

Use your talents to make your own IP/games, then put it on PC!

Yeah but that won't get them instant clout and attention from using someone else's property. That's the bottom line really. I've seen inconsistency in how people feel about copyright infringement. If a company is successful they seem to think fans should be entitled to use their IPs. If a person or company hasn't been successful and someone tries to use their IP it's instant outrage. Just because someone has money doesn't mean you are entitled to steal from them. If they don't want you use their stuff, they don't have to allow it. I often wonder if people would be so giving if it were their IP.

CaptainExplosion said:

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize ruining people's lives over copyright infringement was acceptable.

Dude's from Mexico, he'll be fine. Civil law + developing country + not even a subsidiary/affiliate of Nintendo based there AFAIK.

haxxiy said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize ruining people's lives over copyright infringement was acceptable.

Dude's from Mexico, he'll be fine. Civil law + developing country + not even a subsidiary/affiliate of Nintendo based there AFAIK.

Without knowing specifics it's hard to say, but he likely could be sued in the US. Although, really hard to argue there is much damage here. With Metroid II remake, there was a kind of direct competition with a Nintendo product, so they may have been able to make that case. Here, not so much. The most they would do is be able to make them stop doing it.

CaptainExplosion said:

Where you under the false impression that stealing intellectual property was ok?

Here is the rub... maybe people should stop stealing?  

Around the Network

Really cool.   Thanks for sharing this.  I would have been even more blown away if it was running on actual N64 hardware, but it's not too far off.  The textures and the Samus model just looks a bit too sharp to me for N64 graphics, although it might be a bit more believable towards to end of the generation when larger cart sizes and Expansion Pak support was more common.

I agree that the 3rd person concept would have been what was used for an N64 Metroid game.  FPS games really weren't able to successfully achieve platforming during the N64 era.  Most of the best FPS's just didn't allow jumping at all and the games that did (Turok, Shadows of the Empire) the platforming was extremely awkward.  Metroid Prime was actually a pioneer in this regard since Retro figured out that it was best to allow the character to actually be able to walk a meter or two past the edge of a cliff before falling off.  This concept essentially made first person platformers viable and it was ahead of its time in 2002.  I am just not sure if developers would have been able to discover this sweet-spot back during the N64 era, they probably would have just stuck with a 3rd person view at that point in time.

It looks like a lot of work went into this.  Given that NoA Legal is likely to issue a Cease & Desist and shut this whole thing down any day now I have to really tip my hat to this person who put this much work into something that it likely not to have much of a future.  It's an interesting vision of what could have been.

CaptainExplosion said:

Fuck this whole thread. I was hoping for people thinking this Metroid 64 thing looked cool, but instead we ended up fighting about fan work take downs. -_-

Well YOU started the thread with:

"Enjoy it before Nintendo's bullshit takes it down like everything else that's fab made for free"

So yeah....  

CaptainExplosion said:

Fuck this whole thread. I was hoping for people thinking this Metroid 64 thing looked cool, but instead we ended up fighting about fan work take downs. -_-

Sorry about the garbage and having your thread hijacked.  I am not sure why people feel so compelled to jump to the defense of a giant company that makes a secondary business out of destroying the lives of average people.  Honestly, I used to be a huge Nintendo fan but not so much anymore after seeing how they treat some of their biggest and most loyal fans.  Just because the law allows a company to do something, doesn't mean that they should do it or that it's even moral.

CaptainExplosion said:
Chrkeller said:

Well YOU started the thread with:

"Enjoy it before Nintendo's bullshit takes it down like everything else that's fab made for free"

So yeah....  

*shotguns Chrkeller through the head*

/thread

Oddly unnecessary and uncalled for.  Ironic given you are complaining about people being unfriendly and making things personal.

It is quite simple.  You aggressively, out of the gate, attacked Nintendo despite their legal right.  Do a better job next time.  The direction the thread took is on you.  

Doctor_MG said:
CaptainExplosion said:

But it has been for less than this. Don't forget what Nintendo did to people over ROM sites.

I think that the distribution of ROMs is MORE than this regarding copyright infringement. ROMs are legitimate games that you are supposed to pay for. ROM's are only legal when you make your own copy of a game that you own. ROM sites allow anyone to download games that they may or may not own.

No one with legitimate copies of these games needs a ROM site, so the people getting upset are most often people who don't own legitimate copies of the games. This isn't even getting into the discussion of many ROM sites utilizing payment systems and advertisements, therefore receiving monetary compensation off another's work without paying a portion of said compensation to the owner. 

The legalities of Roms actually varies from region to region... Pretty sure in the USA you are not allowed to circumvent copy protection mechanisms in order to do a ROM dump... Where-as here it's perfectly legal.

Some countries also allow you to download ROM's if you own the original media in some form...

The thing with websites though is that there is a bit of a grey area, the website doesn't actually make money from the Rom's themselves, they make money from the page visits, so it could be argued (Again this will vary from region to region) that they are making money on advertising clicks rather than Rom downloads.

It's a mess frankly.

Illusion said:

Sorry about the garbage and having your thread hijacked.  I am not sure why people feel so compelled to jump to the defense of a giant company that makes a secondary business out of destroying the lives of average people.  Honestly, I used to be a huge Nintendo fan but not so much anymore after seeing how they treat some of their biggest and most loyal fans.  Just because the law allows a company to do something, doesn't mean that they should do it or that it's even moral.

Protecting I.P is absolutely important.

You can embrace the fan community like Bethesda... Which pays off, or you can be protectionist like Nintendo which has also paid off.

It is what it is... I honestly love seeing these fan projects.

This Metroid one is interesting... But I need to ask... What would the gameplay have been like? Super Metroid is regarded as one of the best games of all time... And is certainly one of my favorite games of all time... So would it have been better to do another 2D title? Or rudimentary 3D that ages poorly? I would argue the N64 was lacking in quality 2D titles anyway...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--