By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Studio Acquisitions have really paid off for a publisher so far?

So I was watching a video on Monolith and Nintendo the other day

TLDR the people present at the studio and its sister support studios do a ton of work on a lot of Nintendo artistic elements and world design, and the sheer amount of work on the former is probably unfathomably important. 

I legit wonder if any other studios that other companies have swallowed do similar levels of work horsing. I mean we usually hear about them being EAd or are too early to really see the results of. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Recent acquisition in the past year or 2 I can only think of Insomniac. They released spider man miles morales and ratchet and clank rift apart after Sony acquired them.

Naughty Dog probably.

Back in the day I thought Microsoft really overpaid for Mojang but from what I heard they actually recouped that investment pretty quickly.

More recently Sony acquiring Insomniac and Bluepoint were very natural fits that have already contributed beautifully to the PS5's early lineup. Apparently Firesprite is also expanding aggressively and I'm curious to see how they'll perform going forward.

axumblade said:

Insomniac has already released 2 new games and a remaster on the PS5 and has 2 more games that have already been announced.

Darn beat me to it. $229 million was a bargain price for a top quality studio.

Delivering 2 AAA games for since their acquisition in 2019 is quite a feat. And are currently working on a sequel to Spiderman 2 (2023) and Wolverine (TBC). A real work horse tbh.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
hinch said:

Darn beat me to it. $229 million was a bargain price for a top quality studio.

Delivering 2 AAA games for since their acquisition in 2019 is quite a feat. And are currently working on a sequel to Spiderman 2 (2023) and Wolverine (TBC). A real work horse tbh.

And in theory, I could also see Insomniac having one or two other games in the works as well but I admit, it’s overly ambitious xD 

That might be a biting a bit more off than they can chew lol. But who knows, Sony seem to be expanding their other internal studios are quite a high rate - like Firesprite. Maybe they can throw in more resources at them for make other stuff on the side; considering at how efficient these guys are xP But yeah if can push out a decent game (or two) every couple of years I'd be happy

Also, surprised noone mentioned Bungie when they were acquired by Microsoft in 2000. They basically put helped Microsoft and put Xbox on the map. With multiple sequels and 5 Halo games. That's a huge AAA game every 2-3 years.

Last edited by hinch - on 25 March 2022

Surprised no one has mentioned it, EA acquiring Respawn. Apex is one of the most profitable live services in the business and EA paid next to nothing for Respawn

aTokenYeti said:

Surprised no one has mentioned it, EA acquiring Respawn. Apex is one of the most profitable live services in the business and EA paid next to nothing for Respawn

Meanwhile E.A has one of the bosses of it as a lead so they can't kill it like their other studios. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Atlus.

Sony + Insomniac
Microsoft + Mojang
Tencent + Riot