By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Genesis vs. PlayStation - which did a better job at making gaming "Mature"?

This needs a poll.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Yassgragra said:

Watching those old TV commercials provides a lot of insight into the beginnings of the console fanboy.

It goes back even further than that:

The one that made the console market grow 50%.

I don't know but I am incredibly grateful to both of them.

That being said, PC.

For me, it was the SNES. Final Fantasy VI had more mature themes than anything the Genesis had. Maturity is more than blood and gore.

I'd definitely say between PS1 and Genesis, the PS1 did it better. 

Around the Network

In the 90's era when Sony first launched the PlayStation they actively promoted it towards the older (adult) audience. In commercials, ads and conventions. They even did promo's in clubs in London - if you watch From Bedrooms to Billions documentary and there's more a lot they did to do that. SEGA also did that with the Genesis/MegaDrive but not to that extent and did not do that nearly as much nor did they heavily promote M rated content. Back in 1998, we got ads for Resi Evil games globally for the PS1 for example, and that was just one of many.

As they took the market by storm, even more so. Compared to SEGA who's ads during the Master System/Genesis (MegaDrive) days were more catered towards younger audiences and teens couldn't quite catch up with Nintendo. Sony bought a system designed for young adults and adults and widened the market for consoles as a result.

TL:DR PS, by far.

Last edited by hinch - on 23 March 2022

If we're speaking about console gaming, Sega invented it, Sony perfected it.

The PlayStation.

Done, next topic.

freebs2 said:

?

2nd Generation -  36,650,000 consoles sold

3rd Generation -   78,780,000 consoles sold (NES introduced) +115% increase in total console sales

4th Generation -   90,440,000 consoles sold (Sega Genesis introduced) +15% increase in total console sales

5th Generation - 148,182,000 consoles sold  (Sony PlayStation introduced) +64% increase in total console sales

Mandalore76 said:
freebs2 said:

?

2nd Generation -  36,650,000 consoles sold

3rd Generation -   78,780,000 consoles sold (NES introduced) +115% increase in total console sales

4th Generation -   90,440,000 consoles sold (Sega Genesis introduced) +15% increase in total console sales

5th Generation - 148,182,000 consoles sold  (Sony PlayStation introduced) +64% increase in total console sales

The one that grew the console market 64%  helping add nearly 58 million extra sales and sold 102.5 million of the 148.182 million

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot