By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Elden Ring Review - From Software's Answer to Zelda!

Clearly this game is influenced by DK64 more than anything. Don't be in denial.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

It's clear to me you don't know gaming.  Obviously the Elden Ring devs took a lot of their design cues from Super Mario Odyssey.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
Dulfite said:

It's clear to me you don't know gaming.  Obviously the Elden Ring devs took a lot of their design cues from Super Mario Odyssey.

That purple you see in SMO? Look at the LAB sign in DK64, clearly influenced by that. If it influenced the game that influenced Elden Ring, then it influenced Elden Ring itself.

"An attack on her Majesty's soldiers is an attack on her majesty."

Dulfite said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

That purple you see in SMO? Look at the LAB sign in DK64, clearly influenced by that. If it influenced the game that influenced Elden Ring, then it influenced Elden Ring itself.

You did it, you win.

^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
Dulfite said:

You did it, you win.

I think I'll make this my signature. I may just stop posting on this site now, can't top this moment.

Around the Network

I'm about 15 hours into Elden Ring.  It seems like a great game overall so far.  It very much feels like Dark Souls with a healthy amount of BotW mixed in.

I'm seen quite a few reviews mention stuff like resolution and frame rate, and not just for Elden Ring, but for most games in general.  Personally, I don't care at all about this stuff.  In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of even a single Switch game where the graphics bothered me.  That's how little I care about this stuff.  I can think of a PS4 game where the graphics bothered me: Spider-Man (and I know it isn't alone in this complaint I'm about to give).  Games that go for realistic graphics often have an uncanny valley problem.  Spider-Man and NYC look awesome, but when it's Peter and Mary Jane talking on the couch, yikes, they give me creepy vibes.  Anyway, to me Elden Ring looks gorgeous and I have no complaints about it on the looks dept.

One thing that did bother me.  I saw a video where someone snuck up on a dog and backstabbed it.  I think it's cool that you can do this to people, but dogs should hear you coming.  To me it ruins the immersion of the game, at least for a moment.  I wish more reviewers would talk about stuff like this instead of the old frame rate and resolution nonsense.  That's the stuff that I care about anyway.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm about 15 hours into Elden Ring.  It seems like a great game overall so far.  It very much feels like Dark Souls with a healthy amount of BotW mixed in.

I'm seen quite a few reviews mention stuff like resolution and frame rate, and not just for Elden Ring, but for most games in general.  Personally, I don't care at all about this stuff.  In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of even a single Switch game where the graphics bothered me.  That's how little I care about this stuff.  I can think of a PS4 game where the graphics bothered me: Spider-Man (and I know it isn't alone in this complaint I'm about to give).  Games that go for realistic graphics often have an uncanny valley problem.  Spider-Man and NYC look awesome, but when it's Peter and Mary Jane talking on the couch, yikes, they give me creepy vibes.  Anyway, to me Elden Ring looks gorgeous and I have no complaints about it on the looks dept.

One thing that did bother me.  I saw a video where someone snuck up on a dog and backstabbed it.  I think it's cool that you can do this to people, but dogs should hear you coming.  To me it ruins the immersion of the game, at least for a moment.  I wish more reviewers would talk about stuff like this instead of the old frame rate and resolution nonsense.  That's the stuff that I care about anyway.

That's the true next big leap forward I think. Not visuals, but ai intelligence in games. I want to see squirrels hide behind trees as they hear me coming, lighting strike closer to me when there aren't any tall trees or buildings around, humans hold their hands up to cover their mouth/nose after I just ran through a sewer. This will make games truly immersive and will make the whole resolution vs. framerate fanboy wars look like the joke they always were.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Dulfite said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

That's the true next big leap forward I think. Not visuals, but ai intelligence in games. I want to see squirrels hide behind trees as they hear me coming, lighting strike closer to me when there aren't any tall trees or buildings around, humans hold their hands up to cover their mouth/nose after I just ran through a sewer. This will make games truly immersive and will make the whole resolution vs. framerate fanboy wars look like the joke they always were.

I don't want to derail my own thread too much into the AI thing (which I also discussed before), and while I agree, the reality is that the discussion happens multiple times throughout gaming history.

Example: remember the fish that swim away in CoD and everyone laughed and showed the fish swimming away in Super Mario 64?  People do talk about it, the issue is that the advancement of AI is moving very slowly in comparison to graphics technology.

AND the fact that if it does get too smart, it becomes a "problem" for the average human.  Reactions would be easy to program, sure (and you might be surprised at what little things you'll find in various other games in regards to AI "reactions", like trying to look up Ashley's skirt in RE4 in the original game), but that's less about AI and just more development time to program them if anything.

^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Dulfite said:

I don't want to derail my own thread too much into the AI thing (which I also discussed before), and while I agree, the reality is that the discussion happens multiple times throughout gaming history.

Example: remember the fish that swim away in CoD and everyone laughed and showed the fish swimming away in Super Mario 64?  People do talk about it, the issue is that the advancement of AI is moving very slowly in comparison to graphics technology.

AND the fact that if it does get too smart, it becomes a "problem" for the average human.  Reactions would be easy to program, sure (and you might be surprised at what little things you'll find in various other games in regards to AI "reactions", like trying to look up Ashley's skirt in RE4 in the original game), but that's less about AI and just more development time to program them if anything.

Yeah, I agree that it's mostly about development time.  I think that what bothered me most about the dogs is that they are in a camp with a bunch of guards.  Why do guards have dogs?  To prevent people from sneaking up on them.  So, the dog doesn't really fit its role in that situation.  There are other places where you can sneak up on a bunch of wolves or other animals, and while it's unrealistic, its doesn't jolt me out of the immersion as much.

So, it's part programming and part design.  If they aren't going to make the dogs hear better, then don't make a camp with guard dogs, because they'll do a terrible job guarding.  Or they can always go the other route and be unintentionally realistic, which is often a better choice.  In 2D Mario games you can always shoot fireballs underwater, and people just go with it.  They've done this in Elden Ring too.  The animals will sometimes roll away instead of running away from you.  Maybe they ran out of time to program a good run animation for some of these animals?  In the end the rolling is kind of funny, but it works better than if they just had a poorly animated animal running.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Dulfite said:

Yeah, I agree that it's mostly about development time.  I think that what bothered me most about the dogs is that they are in a camp with a bunch of guards.  Why do guards have dogs?  To prevent people from sneaking up on them.  So, the dog doesn't really fit its role in that situation.  There are other places where you can sneak up on a bunch of wolves or other animals, and while it's unrealistic, its doesn't jolt me out of the immersion as much.

So, it's part programming and part design.  If they aren't going to make the dogs hear better, then don't make a camp with guard dogs, because they'll do a terrible job guarding.  Or they can always go the other route and be unintentionally realistic, which is often a better choice.  In 2D Mario games you can always shoot fireballs underwater, and people just go with it.  They've done this in Elden Ring too.  The animals will sometimes roll away instead of running away from you.  Maybe they ran out of time to program a good run animation for some of these animals?  In the end the rolling is kind of funny, but it works better than if they just had a poorly animated animal running.

Guards actually sometimes have dogs as forward backup.  Example: police force K9s are often used to provide fast attack support for chasing/taking down a suspect (sometimes even separately trained from drug sniffing dogs).  Dogs can hear, see, and smell better than humans, but are often trained into a honed type of singular response.  It's actually regular civilians that use dogs as "alarms" more often than military or para-military (combatants).

Granted, your point still stands, even a K9 would have a better sense of someone sneaking up from behind, but that's often not why they have a K9 unit with them lol; additionally, humans are actually better at sensing someone sneaking up than 99% of games depict, too.  If anything, the majority of videogames make "sneaking" wayyyy easier than it would really be (obviously), so I hear your point but also see that the dogs being super effective would be out of place if you can quite literally just walk right up to all the other dudes without dogs near them.  That just creates an "avoid dogs" situation which is somewhat already the case since they can crowd you pretty easily without really adding to the stealth factor that is barely existent in Elden Ring to begin with ("stealth" in most Souls games is just running right past the enemies) lol

^^/