By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This might be the last generation ever for consoles (No joke, serious thread).

gtotheunit91 said:

The war happening in Ukraine didn't have any effect on global supply shortages as this has been a problem for well over a year now. But knowing what comes out of Ukraine, Shortages are about to get worse... AGAIN - YouTube it can potentially get much worse than what we already know. 

False.

Russia/Ukraine supply 50% of the worlds semiconductor grade Neon.
Russia was a very important supplier of Palladium (Almost 40%) which is also required for semiconductors.

The war is very much disrupting supply lines for resources needed to make chippity chip chips.

Most chip manufacturers should pivot Palladium and Neon supply lines over to China, but there are tensions there as well... Plus China is far more opportunistic, so likely a corresponding price increase.

I know I said it years ago... But I did assert that we will likely see chip shortages well into 2024 and that trajectory seems to be a reality now.

Chrizum said:

As long as there is demand, there will be supply.

/thread

This.
There are 10's of billions to be made... And as long as there is a market, there will be manufacturers making consoles.
And as long as there are manufacturers making consoles, there will be software developers to develop for them.

People were claiming the PC was dying for over 20 years... Fast forward to today and it's never been bigger and healthier.

People were claiming the last gen consoles were likely the last... Fast forward to today, low and behold new technology got invented which made a new jump a substantial one.

Zarkho said:

A very particular case is that of Nintendo: People has been speculating for years now that a Switch Pro was on the way but, in my opinion, with the current difficulties to produce new generarion consoles (or even mid gen upgrades like the OLED), not only a Switch Pro will be taken out of the equation due to the uncertainability of having a stable production capable to cover the cost of producing it via software, but also a Switch succesor will be delayed for the same reasons. I see Switch lifespan having one of the longer cicles in videogame history just because launching a new videogame console under today's circunstamces (which may extend well into the future) is too risky for the company and its investors.

The thing about producing a new console is that... It doesn't need to come at the expense of manufacturing the old console, they could leverage the old fabs for the old console, new fabs for the new console and manufacture them in tandem.
The older fabs that produce the Switch Chips are definitely less congested.

It means that in total... Nintendo could have more devices in the hands of people.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Solutions:

1) Ban cryptocurrency worldwide.
2) Build tvs that can game natively, eliminating hundreds of millions of redundant boxes and chips each generation.
3) Start recycling old chips from outdated technology to be melted down and reused for new chips? I don't know how chips work, just throwing an idea out here, may be stupid lol.

4) Force Russian oligarchs to pay for this worldwide shift for the next 30 years as punishment for their evil.

Chicho said:

No. We have been hearing this for years and years. There are articles from 50 years ago that say we will run out of resources in 15 to 20 years and yet we increase resource extraction and production.

Yep, peak oil was supposed to happen long ago. Meanwhile green energy is on the rise and Nuclear fusion is making progress. That progress is just held back by cheap oil. The more scarce oil gets, the more alternatives will decrease in price comparatively and by mass adoption.

The current war is disruptive, but will also stimulate alternative energy sources. Here in Canada there are still huge oil reserves waiting to be tapped, just put on hold since oil is still cheaper to get elsewhere. Hopefully green energy will keep the oil in the oil sands, but if needed, there's still plenty.

Nuclear Fusion plus hydrogen fuel cells are the future. Problem is, oil is still too easy and cheap to get. If we were smart, we would use the profits from cheap oil to build a clean alternative hydrogen economy. But we aren't smart. Just opportunistic herd animals.

Random_Matt said:

Good, to some extent. GT 7 has shown me as well as others that modern gaming is just empty and predatory.

Hmm. So that's why 99% of my gaming lately as been on Genesis and SNES. lol

Random_Matt said:

Good, to some extent. GT 7 has shown me as well as others that modern gaming is just empty and predatory.

I just looked at the launch lineup of cars and tracks and knew it wasn't worth buying at full price especially if you also include the fact that they had five years to develop it and it barely launched with more content then GT Sport.  By the time it is on sale for less than $50 it will probably have enough content to justify the purchase price.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Random_Matt said:

If that's all you can muster, console gaming will definitely be fine. Plenty of people disagree with you.

OT: No, this will not be the last generation of consoles. 

Actually, there are a ton of people that have buyer's remorse.

CGI-Quality said:
Chris Hu said:

Actually, there are a ton of people that have buyer's remorse.

And a ton of people who don't. Anecdote proving absolutely nothing.

The people that don't probably have tons of other games to play.

CGI-Quality said:
Chris Hu said:

The people that don't probably have tons of other games to play.

You're coming up with a lot of assumption that doesn't aid the original narrative in any way. So, I suggest dropping it before you make matters worse.

Well, I'm glad I didn't buy it at launch.  I'm pretty sure most people that followed, me are also glad.  

CGI-Quality said:
Chris Hu said:

Well, I'm glad I didn't buy it at launch.  I'm pretty sure most people that followed, me are also glad.  

You can't (and don't) speak for most people.

Well, most people are anyway so that is that.  Plus, my other point it still is valid also they had five years to develop the game and barely added more content than GT Sport.

CGI-Quality said:
Chris Hu said:

Well, most people are anyway so that is that.  Plus, my other point it still is valid also they had five years to develop the game and barely added more content than GT Sport.

Cool, but we're not turning this into a GT7 complaint thread (especially when you've already expressed this in multiple other places). 

I'm not really complaining about it I just knew looking at the launch track and car list it wasn't worth buying it at full price.  Most people that actually bought it at or near launch and complain about it should have done the same thing.