By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Do you think my music video should be age-restricted?

I had made a music video using an anti-war song that I wrote and performed, using stock video footage of Japan's occupation of China in World War 2.  It was originally age-restricted by YouTube a while back, so I toned it down and re-uploaded, but it was still age-restricted.  The song/theme was trying to get a point across, so there needed to be some context with the video.

Tell me if you think it was justified to age-restrict my music video. Here's the link to my music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UQ3YzVGurg

note for musicians: that's not a real orchestra--I added an orchestral card to my Roland XP60 synth/sequencer, and with certain patches, you can make it sound close to a real string orchestra depending on how you arrange the music.

Last edited by Makaha - on 03 March 2022

Around the Network

In my opinion, just about nothing should be age restricted, especially because the age restrictions do nothing at all to stop kids from seeing the stuff. So, no, I don't think your video should be age restricted.

That said, Youtube, like most social media platforms (using that term very broadly here) is very bad at censoring content. Some tame stuff gets flagged as adult, some adult stuff shows up for 5 year olds. It is what it is.

I'd say that your video in particular, and your song lyrics as well, are extremely disturbing.  I literally cried while watching living humans being pushed into a mass grave and children being separated from their parents. I had to stop watching. So, it doesn't surprise me that this is considered adult content.  

Incidentally, this is a good reminder that humans will do absolutely horrendous things when "following orders".  Sick.  

Last edited by VAMatt - on 03 March 2022

VAMatt said:

In my opinion, just about nothing should be age restricted, especially because the age restrictions do nothing at all to stop kids from seeing the stuff. So, no, I don't think your video should be age restricted.

That said, Youtube, like most social media platforms (using that term very broadly here) is very bad at censoring content. Some tame stuff gets flagged as adult, some adult stuff shows up for 5 year olds. It is what it is.

I'd say that your video in particular, and your song lyrics as well, are extremely disturbing.  I literally cried while watching living humans being pushed into a mass grave and children being separated from their parents. I had to stop watching. So, it doesn't surprise me that this is considered adult content.  

Incidentally, this is a good reminder that humans will do absolutely horrendous things when "following orders".  Sick.  

That's the whole reason why I made this video, because it bothered me greatly.  When I found out about events like the Nanking Massacre and Unit 731 about 15 years ago or so, I was saddened that not more people knew about these things.  Although that has changed a bit since then.  Soon after the 70th anniversary of the Nanking Massacre, a bunch of movies were made:  "City of Life and Death, Flowers of War, John Rabe"  Two of them were Chinese productions (the third one was a German production) so you could say that they were Chinese propaganda, but the fact that they were made and getting some attention was a good thing.  A lot of people watched "Flowers of War" solely because Christian Bale acted in the movie and so they learned about the Nanking Massacre for the first time--I learned this fact from reading many user reviews of the movie on Amazon.com

Yes, movies are only entertainment, but it can be a first step for people to learn about an actual event.

Makaha said:

That's the whole reason why I made this video, because it bothered me greatly.  When I found out about events like the Nanking Massacre and Unit 731 about 15 years ago or so, I was saddened that not more people knew about these things.  Although that has changed a bit since then.  Soon after the 70th anniversary of the Nanking Massacre, a bunch of movies were made:  "City of Life and Death, Flowers of War, John Rabe"  Two of them were Chinese productions (the third one was a German production) so you could say that they were Chinese propaganda, but the fact that they were made and getting some attention was a good thing.  A lot of people watched "Flowers of War" solely because Christian Bale acted in the movie and so they learned about the Nanking Massacre for the first time--I learned this fact from reading many user reviews of the movie on Amazon.com

Yes, movies are only entertainment, but it can be a first step for people to learn about an actual event.

The part in your video about these things not being taught in school is true for any country. When I flew around the entire world in FS2020 while researching all the landmarks I came upon a lot of things the Dutch did in the past. (I was born and raised in the Netherlands) The slave trade, the mess in South Africa (Apartheid is a Dutch word), and the war crimes in Indonesia after WWII was already over.

In 2011 and 2013, the Dutch government apologised for two massacres of Indonesian civilians perpetrated by Dutch troops in 1946 and 1947 known as the Rawagede tragedy and Westerling massacres and, only following court orders, provided compensation to victims' families.

My mother fled from Indonesia (at age 4) where her mother spend time in a Japanese concentration camp before she was born. My mother is the second child, first child, her sister, died from malnutrition in that concentration camp. My grandmother never talked about her experience and in school all we learned was how great the VOC was, not all the crap they did and what happened with the colonies.

Violence begets more violence, the oppressed become the oppressors and the cycle never ends. After Indonesia got rid of its colonial overlords, trouble started brewing with Timor

After setting several houses on fire, Indonesian soldiers massacred as many as 2,000 men, women and children. In March 1977 ex-Australian consul James Dunn published a report detailing charges that since December 1975 Indonesian forces had killed between 50,000 and 100,000 civilians in East Timor.

I learned a lot, 'traveling' the world in FS2020 with google maps alongside. History is a dark dark place, monuments everywhere yet we never seem to learn anything from them.

Yeah, clearly.

Around the Network

Children should be taught what happened, when they start studying modern and contemporary history, but the most gruesome details should be taught them when they are older, extreme violence and its graphic depiction, and knowing it was true, not fiction, can traumatise them. I'm against censoring of informations, but while it's right that children learn everything important, they must learn some things gradually. And with parents or teachers close to them.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Yes based off the content of the music video.

BiON!@ 

Maybe you were asleep when you were meant to learn about Nanjing in your school, but I can guarantee you that everyone is taught about it.

Here's something else you don't seem to know: China uses Nanjing as racist anti-Japanese propaganda. WW2 ended 80 years ago - so why are you bringing this up?

Yes. People should realize that war is the only true peace.