By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Excited for GT7? Me, too, so I unboxed a Thrustmaster T300RS!

Sure, the brand name sounds dirty, but if you're into sim racing, then Thrustmaster has some good entry-level steering wheel setups. And here I am unboxing one just in time for Gran Turismo 7!

Naturally, the pervy brand name and the fact that this is an unboxing means there's no written version. Yes, I said pervy... IT'S NOT MY FAULT THE BRAND NAME MAKES ME GIGGLE LIKE A LITTLE KID!

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

Excited and a bit worried after Horizon FW giving me migraines :/ Hopefully GT7 launches better out of the gates.

I revised my plan to buy the digital version along the physical, will just wait until I can pick up the 25th anniversary edition. Switch to digital when it goes on sale. HZ FW scared me the way it released. I can always return the physical edition unopened if there are major issues with it on release.

Yet otherwise, can't wait! Hope I can finish HZ FW (on my much more comfortable low brightness 1080p projector) before the 4th! Only a week left, hmm Horizon is rather huge (and a lot of fun), gonna be tight.

'Luckily' or as expected, Elden ring has plenty issues as well so I don't feel bad to put that off until after finishing GT7's campaign mode :)

Having some fun in SR.C last week, last to first at Sardegna

Hopefully GT7 will have penalties again as that up there is the norm nowadays :/

Curious to know what car you own that has pedal shift?
I am also a little concerned weather it would work on the PS5, i thought cross gen accessories weren't a thing with PS4 to PS5. I guess the VR Camera works so fingers crossed for you.

Azzanation said:

I am also a little concerned weather it would work on the PS5, i thought cross gen accessories weren't a thing with PS4 to PS5. I guess the VR Camera works so fingers crossed for you.

Most officially licensed PS4 peripherals work on the PS5. This includes racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks. I currently don’t have a racing wheel (waiting for the official GT7 one), but I’ve been using the Qanba Obsidian fighting stick since launch without any issues whatsoever.

You’re probably confusing this with the transition from PS3 to PS4, where Sony (if my memory serves me right), after the PS3’s historic security breach blunder, added a layer of security that made many peripherals incompatible.

Last edited by Hynad - on 26 February 2022

Hey now I drive a 2019 Civic Si and it actually beat a WRX track time at car and driver. Sure it isn't too fast but it can hold its own.

Around the Network

I'm sorry 3 seconds slower than WRX in damp conditions.

https://youtu.be/KNEXZqQwaBM

SvennoJ said:

Excited and a bit worried after Horizon FW giving me migraines :/ Hopefully GT7 launches better out of the gates.

I revised my plan to buy the digital version along the physical, will just wait until I can pick up the 25th anniversary edition. Switch to digital when it goes on sale. HZ FW scared me the way it released. I can always return the physical edition unopened if there are major issues with it on release.

Yet otherwise, can't wait! Hope I can finish HZ FW (on my much more comfortable low brightness 1080p projector) before the 4th! Only a week left, hmm Horizon is rather huge (and a lot of fun), gonna be tight.

'Luckily' or as expected, Elden ring has plenty issues as well so I don't feel bad to put that off until after finishing GT7's campaign mode :)

Hopefully GT7 will have penalties again as that up there is the norm nowadays :/

I thought you had Horizon FW sorted, plus it's not like every first party PS5 game has that lighting problem anyway GT7 different game different engine.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:

I thought you had Horizon FW sorted, plus it's not like every first party PS5 game has that lighting problem anyway GT7 different game different engine.

I'm playing in 1080p SDR now, 4K HDR gives me headaches in Horizon FW. I had the picture sorted for screenshots, still shimmering and brightness fluctuations in motion in resolution mode :/

GT7 should not have any problems. GT Sport runs perfectly fine after all. But I don't know anymore nowadays. HZD ran perfectly fine as well. GT Sport at least has the HDR sorted, but dynamic time is new and the issues in Forbidden West come from the checkerboard implementation.

I'm 99% confident GT7 will be fine, yet I was the same with Horizon... I'm just done with pre-ordering, skipping Elden Ring for now and will try to finish Horizon in 1080p SDR as it's unlikely it will all be fixed before the 4th!

SvennoJ said:

How is the game giving you migraines?  I'm genuinely curious, you know I'm not one of those fanboys defending a game lol

Azzanation said:

I posted a whole thread in the General section which included a dyno sheet and the photoshoot with my friend, can't be bothered to find it atm, though, as I need to get back on Elden Ring to keep pace lol

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

Most officially licensed PS4 peripherals work on the PS5. This includes racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks. I currently don’t have a racing wheel (waiting for the official GT7 one), but I’ve been using the Qanba Obsidian fighting stick since launch without any issues whatsoever.

You’re probably confusing thus with the transition from PS3 to PS4, where Sony (if my memory serves me right), after the PS3’s historic security breach blunder, added a layer of security that made many peripherals incompatible.

Yea, that's the key word: "most".  The manufacturer has stated it works on the PS5, and yet, I still have my doubts until I actually try it with GT7.  I'm not sure why, but the way PlayStation has handled accessories leaves me with that small, tiny thorn of doubt! lol

SvennoJ said:
mjk45 said:

I'm playing in 1080p SDR now, 4K HDR gives me headaches in Horizon FW. I had the picture sorted for screenshots, still shimmering and brightness fluctuations in motion in resolution mode :/

GT7 should not have any problems. GT Sport runs perfectly fine after all. But I don't know anymore nowadays. HZD ran perfectly fine as well. GT Sport at least has the HDR sorted, but dynamic time is new and the issues in Forbidden West come from the checkerboard implementation.

I'm 99% confident GT7 will be fine, yet I was the same with Horizon... I'm just done with pre-ordering, skipping Elden Ring for now and will try to finish Horizon in 1080p SDR as it's unlikely it will all be fixed before the 4th!

So wait, if I'm to understand this, it's the difference in brightness levels that gives you headaches since HDR (naturally, by name alone) gives a far greater range of brightnesses and color vibrancies?  Interesting, I never really thought about that... I always thought the closer we get to real life, the better... Then AGAIN, real life doesn't have laser beams and fuck-all explosions happening everywhere from monsters with blue flashlights for eyes... lmfao

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:

How is the game giving you migraines?  I'm genuinely curious, you know I'm not one of those fanboys defending a game lol

So wait, if I'm to understand this, it's the difference in brightness levels that gives you headaches since HDR (naturally, by name alone) gives a far greater range of brightnesses and color vibrancies?  Interesting, I never really thought about that... I always thought the closer we get to real life, the better... Then AGAIN, real life doesn't have laser beams and fuck-all explosions happening everywhere from monsters with blue flashlights for eyes... lmfao

I'm trying to figure it out as well. I played in 4K HDR this afternoon and 'survived' lol. I was feeling a headache coming on after 2 hours but the high ambient light helped. (Snow plus sun, no curtains, had to dial up the brightness to be able to see anything in game at night time) So I went jogging outside on the trail, did wonders! (It actually looked quite close to how Horizon FW portrays the snow parts, yet without the headache or robots chasing me)

The game can be very intense in light flashes, scratch that, is very intense 90% of the time. The camera doesn't help as it will swing around wildly in combat. Next to that, the contrast between night and day is very high and the day/night cycle not all that long. You get treated to an overpowering laser light show at night time against very dark backgrounds. So I was playing in the evening with very little ambient light to be able to se where I was going.

During day time it's very very bright everywhere. Outside that is, pretty dim inside. In real life you don't run inside outside all the time, but in the game you tend to go into dark interiors, buildings, ruins, caves, under water, and back into bright bright daylight all the time. So I'm playing with low ambient light to be able to see everything indoors, but then you have this glaring rectangle in front of you outside. Also different with real life where your whole vision lights up instead of staring into a bright rectangle with dark around.

Then you have the shimmering that's always present on foliage, lack of anti aliasing, sharpening filter, it's a very busy picture visually. Looks gorgeous, but it's a lot to take in and not all that stable in motion. Sudden color changes when going inside, and of course also plenty brightness changes opening the map. Searing desert, regular brightness menu.

Lastly, the fonts are small, so I move my chair to sit closer to the tv. I had no issues with Rift Apart, however I played that from further away, with more ambient light (not so dark at night), and Rift Apart has a very stable clean picture. Still a lot of detail to take in, but not the extreme contrast and camera swings as Horizon.

I guess it's just too much for me to handle lol.

When I play on my projector I also do so with almost no ambient light. However the screen is 92" and max 50 nits. No 1,200 nits HDR peaks or 200+ nits avg day time brightness. Here you can see how bright Horizon FW gets (or tries to get, displays don't go that high)

(At 1:02 in the video, time stamp doesn't seem to work)

I sit further away with the projector, fonts are easy to read, shimmering is much less due to down sampling, but I think it's mostly the lower contrast swings that prevent headaches. I physically feel a pain flash in my eyes when I walk from inside to outside in Horizon in HDR. In RL you get something similar when you come out of the cinema into a bright sunny day. Yet that's once, in the game it happens over and over.

So maybe, it's not such a good idea to pump games up to realistic brightness, at least not as long as you keep doing totally unrealistic things in game! I have no issues while racing in GT Sport in HDR, yet you don't constantly go into pitch black tunnels and back into searing daylight.